IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

Just now, Silent Hill said:

So what are we fighting against exactly? If it's just "the outcome of a series of historical processes" but you can't identify current processes, then aren't we just chasing a ghost or are we just trying to "correct" history (ie. Affirmative Action)? And if it's not controlled by people, then what exactly controls it? Wouldn't you need to identify the "control" in order to correct it?

This is why my thoughts around culture, family structure and personal decisions have much more tangible actions that can be taken that will close the gap in crime, education and poverty for all races affected.

This is where I get lost. 

Okay, so here's where we close the gap.

The way to solve these issues actually is not in a lot of the BLM stuff or the police issues, or the language and slurs, and basically all the stuff that makes everyone's piss boil on both sides of the isle.

Those are just surface issues, terrible as they may be for individuals who suffer through them.

No, the real solution, long term, is closing the wealth gap between races, one way or the other.

That means housing security, education security, job security for everyone in society, whether you are white, black or in between. People need to know they are gonna be able to own, live in and pass on their property to their children. They need to know that if they choose to stay in school, they have the opportunity to reach the very limits of their own educational potential. They need to know that a job is waiting for them, with a living wage and real opportunity for growth.

Right now, all those things are WAY easier for white people, even though yes a lot of white people don't achieve them too. We need to find a way so that everyone can have that in this life. Certainly the little black kids growing up in gerrymandered, crime ridden neighborhoods raised by single mums and going to shitty schools and over policed deserve that.

Basically what it means is a big shake up in terms of the redistribution of wealth, ultimately. Again, to help poor whites as well as poor blacks.

Until then people are only going to argue about racist cops and offensive words, because that's the pus on the open sore, it's not the bacteria under the skin that's causing the problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Hill said:

I'm not trying to say that all police are honest when using that claim, but if you don't have what they think you do, then why not just let them search your vehicle?

Did you see how the cop was acting? He was a fucking psychopath. Why get out of the vehicle when you feel like your life could literally be in danger? That is what you aren't understanding about all of this. The fear in daily life due to the pattern of aggression police have shown towards people of color.

34 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Got it. So getting pulled over, police smelling weed and asking the driver to step out and search the vehicle automatically equals racial profiling. No way for the driver to just say "I don't have weed, go ahead and search my vehicle"?

If the police are wrong, let them prove themselves wrong. Standing your ground and forcing them to remove you from the vehicle doesn't really help you in that interaction. He'd have a much better case if he was taken to jail after willingly exiting the vehicle and letting them search for weed that wasn't present.

Hypothetically, if the officer was black, would you feel the same way? Or if the driver was white? Race doesn't matter in this situation, no matter how much you think it does. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if your thought was, "well if he were white, he wouldn't have been pulled over, or asked to step out of the vehicle" - because after all, that's white privilege)  

I can link you to at least 3 videos of cops caught on camera planting drugs while searching a car.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OptOut said:

It's not a poor explanation no. Thank you for elaborating.

However, you do seem to misconstrue the meaning of systemic racism. It seems you understand it to be an intentional, or somehow planned system?

For example, you talk about how affirmative action wouldn't happen if systemic racism existed, because it wouldn't fit with the plan of white oppression of minorities.

However, systemic racism is not in fact a conspiracy, it is not effected and controlled by sinister agents of white power. It is the outcome of a series of historical processes that have certainly been guided and intentionally exploited by powerful people (of course most of whom happen to be white), but no social structure of that size and scale can be directly controlled by people.

If you have been talking to people who think that systemic racism is like a secret book of laws and regulations to hurt black people, they know as little about the issue as you seem to.

So do you agree systematic racism happens in Taiwan ?

@fcgamer remember when I said this:

White people do suffer discrimination on the basis of their race/nationality, and as @fcgamer described this is both at the level of individuals AND in terms of the systems and structures of the society (national and local governments, banks etc.). Because the discrimination IS structural, I believe this fits the technical definition of racism.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Okay, so here's where we close the gap.

The way to solve these issues actually is not in a lot of the BLM stuff or the police issues, or the language and slurs, and basically all the stuff that makes everyone's piss boil on both sides of the isle.

Those are just surface issues, terrible as they may be for individuals who suffer through them.

No, the real solution, long term, is closing the wealth gap between races, one way or the other.

That means housing security, education security, job security for everyone in society, whether you are white, black or in between. People need to know they are gonna be able to own, live in and pass on their property to their children. They need to know that if they choose to stay in school, they have the opportunity to reach the very limits of their own educational potential. They need to know that a job is waiting for them, with a living wage and real opportunity for growth.

Right now, all those things are WAY easier for white people, even though yes a lot of white people don't achieve them too. We need to find a way so that everyone can have that in this life. Certainly the little black kids growing up in gerrymandered, crime ridden neighborhoods raised by single mums and going to shitty schools and over policed deserve that.

Basically what it means is a big shake up in terms of the redistribution of wealth, ultimately. Again, to help poor whites as well as poor blacks.

Until then people are only going to argue about racist cops and offensive words, because that's the pus on the open sore, it's not the bacteria under the skin that's causing the problem.

Bro, I didn't go to grad school because I personally couldn't afford it and didn't want to accumulate the debt. I'm definitely less than rich . You talk of shake up of wealth, my father was dirt poor growing up, he didn't marry someone and get rich like some people I know, he suffered dissapointments in life and career , finally achieving financial success but still wishing his career took a different path.

When you going to start contributing those Andy Bear funds to fight the good fight and save minority groups from poverty?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Bro, I didn't go to grad school because I personally couldn't afford it and didn't want to accumulate the debt. I'm definitely less than rich . You talk of shake up of wealth, my father was dirt poor growing up, he didn't marry someone and get rich like some people I know, he suffered dissapointments in life and career , finally achieving financial success but still wishing his career took a different path.

When you going to start contributing those Andy Bear funds to fight the good fight and save minority groups from poverty?

Perhaps it would have been better for your father if he didn't have to struggle as hard? Perhaps it would be better if all of us didn't have to. There's a lot more wealth in the world than most of us have access to, and ALL of our lives could be easier, black, white, Taiwanese, whomever.

But at the same time, I'm not proposing any real solutions here, I'm not an activist. I'm offering an appraisal of the situation. The way to solve all this race stuff is if everyone is more equal and happy. I'm not proposing any way to actually achieve that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Link said:

I guess you are. Let me help you.

Breonna Taylor.

Alton Sterling. 

Philando Castile.

Eric Garner.

George Floyd.

Trayvon Martin. 

Tamir Rice.

Elijah McClain.

Sandra Bland.

Rodney King.

Freddie Gray.

Michael Brown.

Amadou Diallo.

Sean Bell.

Sam Dubose.

Aiyana Stanley Jones.

Fred Hampton.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rekia Boyd.

Kimani Gray.

Walter Scott.

Eric Harris.

Tanisha Anderson.

Dante Parker.

Delrawn Small.

Laquan McDonald.

George Mann.

Akai Gurley.

Ezell Ford.

Michelle Cusseaux.

Jerame Reid.

Darrius Stewart.

Felix Kumi.

Tyree Crawford.

Stephon Clark. 

The rate at which black Americans are killed by police is more than twice as high as the rate for white Americans, proprtionate to their race. The proportionate rate at which police kill unarmed black Americans is 2½ the rate at which police kill unarmed white Americans. The rate at which police engage black Americans in encounters is nearly three times that of white Americans.

Maybe this is because black Americans are disproportionately more likely to live in areas of poverty and crime as people have stated earlier ITT. When I ask those people what the reason for that is, there’s never a serious answer. I’ve given extensive answer to that at least once but the short version is: The system is racist. I’m not, I gather you’d say you’re not, this cop or that may not be, but the system IS. And saying that is not true, saying there is not a problem, perpetuates the problem.

Yup, let's take a look at those shining stars, oh...yup drug dealer here, violent crime guy there.

Some of them, I agree, ended up dead wrongfully, but others were not complying, were resisting, were doing bad things in general.

I'm living in a foreign country, if I did any of the bad things some of these guys did, I'd honestly not try to justify it if I were shot or killed.

3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Do you consider yourself a conservative? Because If you do (I genuinely dont know) the idea of “if you have nothing to hide, let them search” goes directly against the 4th amendment. 

Don't forget the 5th...

To answer Wolf's comment about "if a man were not afraid of the truth, he would answer"...I would be VERY afraid if I had reason to believe the other side was not as committed to things like truth and honesty and fair trial and all that.

Edited by Estil

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yup, let's take a look at those shining stars, oh...yup drug dealer here, violent crime guy there.

Some of them, I agree, ended up dead wrongfully, but others were not complying, were resisting, were doing bad things in general.

I'm living in a foreign country, if I did any of the bad things some of these guys did, I'd honestly not try to justify it if I were shot or killed.

I think you missed the part where they are presumed innocent until guilty in a COURT OF LAW.... They should not be sentenced to death until after a fair trial. 

Glad to know you think drug dealers should be put to death though.

11 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I think you missed the part where they are presumed innocent until guilty in a COURT OF LAW.... They should not be sentenced to death until after a fair trial. 

Glad to know you think drug dealers should be put to death though.

Glad to know you support drug dealers, what you currently taking bro? Care to give me some recommendations?

20 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Too bad BLM recklessly disregards that notion...they don't even bother finding out what really happened...they just automatically presume not just mere guilt, but presumed racist.  Darren Wilson and the Duke Lacross players are the most perfect example I can think of why presumption of innocence (or at the very least, take the time to find out what really happened!) is so important before presuming a white person accused of doing something wrong to a black person must be presumed guilty of a racist HATE crime as the BLM types do.

I too Cody, hold the right to presumption of innocence just as near and dear as you do...even if the reasons I feel that way differ somewhat..

Edited by Estil
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Why didn't you go to grad school?  There has to be a reason other than debt, you can easily find a job to get rid of that debt quickly.

• Like 1