IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

5 hours ago, Rhino said:

it doesn't mean a certain scenario always happens for a certain race every single time. 

As usual the point flies far above your head. If you think a trend cannot be shown without a certain scenario always happening every single time, at best you aren’t paying attention.

5 hours ago, Rhino said:

There are plenty of instances where cops arrest minorities without killing them.

Oh so congratulations to them for not murdering a person of color every single time there’s an encounter? Is that the bar you set? 

3 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

Please correct me if I’m off base, but are you referring to disparities in outcomes?

That’s one factor. There are also disparities in initiation, environment, and resources which stand on their own and also have demonstrable effect on outcomes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

75% grow up in broken homes

Why? Why is that? Why do you think that is? Why does that happen?

I don’t think that’s an accurate number but for the sake of argument what is the cause of that and what effects result from that and why?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Link said:
22 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah, we already discussed that earlier, if you remember 😉

Obviously I do. So who are you to say that Trader Joe’s shouldn’t make that change? 

You gonna answer this question? @fcgamer Bro? Bro? What’s up, bro? Or are you just gonna laugh react? Come on bro. Obviously you saw it. So why are you ignoring it? Show your tags. Bro. 

30 minutes ago, Link said:

You gonna answer this question? @fcgamer Bro? Bro? What’s up, bro? Or are you just gonna laugh react? Come on bro. Obviously you saw it. So why are you ignoring it? Show your tags. Bro. 

I'll check my tags when I get home, I'm at work now, wouldn't be appropriate.

Well I don't like this idea of culture appropriation, and culinary is a huge part of one's unique culture.

Edit: Also no, I didn't see your question earlier, or I would have answered. I was busy washing rugs earlier.

Edited by fcgamer

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

Maybe you should make a club and only invite like-minded individuals so you have a safe space echo chamber where no conflicting ideals exist, so you can shit on the uninvited people without any fear of reprocussion? 

Nah, we just hang out on discord! 😉

7 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Why would it? They make money selling food to people who enjoy it. There's a time and place for authentic Chinese cuisines, but I can't imagine bringing it home and having my kids eat it.

You mean you wouldn't serve your kids this?!

Screenshot_2020-07-23-14-22-45-31.thumb.jpg.ca1856213a15f1b923927e2de41fcc52.jpg

Roast chicken in Taiwan is a-HEAD of the rest! 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well I don't like this idea of culture appropriation, and culinary is a huge part of one's unique culture.

So why are you saying Trader Joe’s shouldn’t stop their cultural appropriation branding? 

15 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Edit: Also no, I didn't see your question earlier, or I would have answered. I was busy washing rugs earlier.

Oh were you washing your chingchong bingbong rugs? Is that what you asian wannabes do to fit in in your adoptive country that you move to and still fail to be allowed to buy a home? I guess you and your parents just made poor choices. Too bad. 

50 minutes ago, Link said:

Why? Why is that? Why do you think that is? Why does that happen?

I don’t think that’s an accurate number but for the sake of argument what is the cause of that and what effects result from that and why?

I did a quick google search now, you're right, I remembered wrong, it's 2/3rds, 67%. It's still a really really high number.

I also just looked at some stats on birthdrates, marriage rates, etc.

I haven't researched why it is, but I believe that's the root cause of the matter, not that police are just out to get some people.

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I did a quick google search now, you're right, I remembered wrong, it's 2/3rds, 67%. It's still a really really high number.

I also just looked at some stats on birthdrates, marriage rates, etc.

Yeah as usual you are nitpicking details and avoiding the main question. But as long as we’re here, what did you google? What were the terms of that search? 

and 

28 minutes ago, Link said:

why are you saying Trader Joe’s shouldn’t stop their cultural appropriation branding? 

49 minutes ago, Link said:

Yeah as usual you are nitpicking details and avoiding the main question. But as long as we’re here, what did you google? What were the terms of that search? 

and 

No, they are doing cultural appropriation by having it branded as (white) people making Chinese / Asian food, Mexican food, etc.

So the initial petitioners were arguing that Trader Jose was exoticising Mexican people, for example, and was therefore racist and offensive. Branding it under a white version, though, would be cultural appropriation.

Edit: Also I just did a quick Google search, single family homes by ethnicity USA , or something like that . If you disagree with what I posted (which although was slightly lower than what I initially said, was still quite high) then please post your own findings.

Edited by fcgamer

1 hour ago, Link said:

So why are you saying Trader Joe’s shouldn’t stop their cultural appropriation branding? 

What they were doing initially wasn't cultural appropriation, it was considered offensive as they were allegedly exoticising other ethnicities.

By making the change, they would be guilty of cultural appropriation though, if you consider food to be part of one's culture, which I do.

1 hour ago, Link said:

Oh were you washing your chingchong bingbong rugs? Is that what you asian wannabes do to fit in in your adoptive country that you move to and still fail to be allowed to buy a home? I guess you and your parents just made poor choices. Too bad. 

Wow, that's really, really offensive, honestly.

Regarding the house bit, my father could buy two or three houses over here if he wanted, growing up he didn't have much though.

45 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I have to say I absolutely agree with this point. No matter what side of any debate one may or may not be on, that was completely unnecessary and out of order.

I'm not sure what point was trying to be made through that language exactly, but its pretty despicable to see nonetheless. 😞

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You're a chef by trade, right? What's the weirdest thing you've eaten then?

Oh geez, probably poached veal brain or grasshoppers. I've eaten every animal and most organs there is to eat pretty much. While I would eat chicken head or feet for example, I can't see my kids having any desire to eat it. Maybe my son, he'll at least try anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

I have to say I absolutely agree with this point. No matter what side of any debate one may or may not be on, that was completely unnecessary and out of order.

I'm not sure what point was trying to be made through that language exactly, but its pretty despicable to see nonetheless. 😞

I think the point was to compare to the Trader Joe's brands (not sure though) but I agree with you here.  Two wrongs don't make a right as we all learned growing up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Oh, is it? Is that offensive? To who? Would it be offensive to Taiwanese Grandmother? Because that’s what you said about Indian Grandmother vis-á-vis Apu. 

“So why are we getting offended about this again, oh yeah, just for the sake of it all.”

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/2602-general-current-eventspolitical-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=96875

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/2602-general-current-eventspolitical-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=96915

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Tone it down @Link dude. Not cool buddy.

I stand by the reason I said it, which is that fcgamer has been only too happy to let that kind of thing fly when it suits him. And ignore  support it when he personally doesn’t feel aggrieved by it, even though others do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Link said:

I stand by the reason I said it, which is that fcgamer has been only too happy to let that kind of thing fly when it suits him. And ignore  support it when he personally doesn’t feel aggrieved by it, even though others do. 

Maybe so, but you are not only communicating with @fcgamer, this is an open discussion on a public thread.

I was offended by what you said too, how is that fair to me or anyone else who might have read it?

Crossed a line there, a line you have actually skirted several times in this thread with N and F slurs.

I think it would be best if you refrain from that sort of language moving forward, even if you feel you have a point to make, for the comfort of all of us reading this thread.

You are free, of course, to ignore this friendly suggestion, but I would hope that you instead take it on board. 🙂

• Like 1