IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

48 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Thanks, excellent timing.  I got a few nice new things I got, my nomad also just arrived back souped up with a new screen, region mod, sms and sega cd audio support via mega everdrive too.  This will make for a nice combo.  I recently ditched the rarely touched Wii so I have a little shelf space now. 😄

• 4 weeks later...

So I broke down an bought one of these from eBay.  I don't like supporting scalpers but some times desperate times call for desperate measures.

Anyway, being that I really want a Game Gear adapter for this thing, I just couldn't bring myself to pay near 10x the price on the Analogue store just to get one now, so I ordered one from Analogue last week.

I'm not expecting it to arrive any time soon and I am 100% believing that 2023 ship date estimate to be correct.  That said, has anyone ordered any of these additional accessories and found that they are shipping sooner than the Pockets?  The pockets are much more complex builds than something like these adapters.  My hope is that they can more easily order these from manufacturing and deliver them more quickly if they were not part of a bigger purchase with a pocket unit.

Any one ordered one separately from the pocket and seen these arrive more quickly?

2 hours ago, RH said:

So I broke down an bought one of these from eBay.  I don't like supporting scalpers but some times desperate times call for desperate measures.

Anyway, being that I really want a Game Gear adapter for this thing, I just couldn't bring myself to pay near 10x the price on the Analogue store just to get one now, so I ordered one from Analogue last week.

I'm not expecting it to arrive any time soon and I am 100% believing that 2023 ship date estimate to be correct.  That said, has anyone ordered any of these additional accessories and found that they are shipping sooner than the Pockets?  The pockets are much more complex builds than something like these adapters.  My hope is that they can more easily order these from manufacturing and deliver them more quickly if they were not part of a bigger purchase with a pocket unit.

Any one ordered one separately from the pocket and seen these arrive more quickly?

I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I read that the adaptor can damage the carts/labels. They have some sharp edges that need to be beveled down.  I specifically remember the one for Game Gear being the biggest culprit of this issue.

2 minutes ago, Matchbook said:

I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I read that the adaptor can damage the carts/labels. They have some sharp edges that need to be beveled down.  I specifically remember the one for Game Gear being the biggest culprit of this issue.

That's the only adapter I'm aware of.  That's not a big deal to me. I'll sand down the edge if I have too with some fine grit sand paper, plus I'll pay attention when insert them.  It's odd that that can happen.  The labels are inset on the GG carts.  I'll have to inspect it when I get mine next years, but thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, RH said:

That's the only adapter I'm aware of.  That's not a big deal to me. I'll sand down the edge if I have too with some fine grit sand paper, plus I'll pay attention when insert them.  It's odd that that can happen.  The labels are inset on the GG carts.  I'll have to inspect it when I get mine next years, but thanks for the update.

Here it is.

That image he has though, unless it's a visual trick of the camera seems to have a slight inward bowing of the back plate of the cartridge slot on the adapter.  If that is the real deal there and not the angle of it, that's some hit-miss garbage going on there that caused it to compress in enough to scrape the inset label on the GG cart face.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Does anyone have a better idea on when in 2022 the Duo is going to be available for order? Also, am I going to get to order one and get it in a reasonable amount of time or am I basically paying for a pre-order to be delivered in Q4 2025? Assuming I beat all the scalpers. 

I hope they follow something similar to the way the steam deck was handled, i feel it went really well. 

Really looking forward to the duo and the tg-16 adapter for the pocket. 

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Does anyone have a better idea on when in 2022 the Duo is going to be available for order? Also, am I going to get to order one and get it in a reasonable amount of time or am I basically paying for a pre-order to be delivered in Q4 2025? Assuming I beat all the scalpers. 

I'd be shocked if we hear anything in 2022 at all. My guess is that the supply chain for the Pocket is still extremely tenuous and until they can move another big batch, the Duo will stay on the backburner. I just hoping things will start moving by summer 2023.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same position here entirely.  There's little to the Lynx that interest me.  But since they decided to go this route probably to not get stuck with a bunch of unsold Atari product we're stuck.  Maybe a few people would want it and not the other two, or one could buy the retrohq made Lynx flash kit (quality, they did the NGPC one) and just one and done with it.  There's a few really nice games on there that'll never see an evercade cart because of licensing problems.

I already had planned to get a new turbo everdrive so I could go that route on my pocket whenever B ships out here sooner than later it appears.  Planned to mention this as I found the update an hour or two ago but hadn't got around to it because I was hoping to see some out on the Lynx adapter. 😄

A bit disappointing they're not going to make the Super NT and Mega SG after this run. 

The adapter situation isn't very good imo. I get why they're doing it, so they're not stuck with a lot of one adapter (most likely Lynx). I can't really justify spending that much for the PC Engine adapter though. I'm sure some smart person will find a way for me to jailbreak the device and play PC Engine ROMs on it.

I love supporting Analogue, but I can't support the business practice of having to buy three adapters when I only want one.

• Agree 1

Agreed -- both parts.

Seems wrong not making more in a consistent slow stream of those SNES/Genesis systems as they're very much a bread and butter best of retro generation thing that would get the most purchases being largely the least obscure of anything else they've got out out or coming on the console front.  I still think it's dumbassery not having a plastic model of their NT (nes) system, huge oversight.  But something like the Duo that's more fringe, just like neo geo would be too.  I'll be curious to see how well they support that duo.  I can't get behind it, the prices of real media are staggeringly bad and worse on that, CD and hucard.

I can justify 2/3 of the kits for the pocket, already own a NGPC so that's there, and I'd grab an everdrive again for the PCE, but that is true, it could get a core, NGPC never likely would, but the PCE is a no brainer.