IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

I was playing Super Mario Advance 2 on the pocket on cartridge and it’s really nice so I decided to install some extra cores and grab some roms for testing out that functionality. Wow it is really good. Downloaded a game for GBA and it ran solidly, got a 700 NES ROM pack and played a few of those, really smooth. Got a TG16 ROM pack and played those a little and really smooth. The screen is gorgeous. Really nice device. Can’t wait for more cores to really test the size limits of my 128GB card. Oh GUI windows pocket updater for the win. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I was playing Super Mario Advance 2 on the pocket on cartridge and it’s really nice so I decided to install some extra cores and grab some roms for testing out that functionality. Wow it is really good. Downloaded a game for GBA and it ran solidly, got a 700 NES ROM pack and played a few of those, really smooth. Got a TG16 ROM pack and played those a little and really smooth. The screen is gorgeous. Really nice device. Can’t wait for more cores to really test the size limits of my 128GB card. Oh GUI windows pocket updater for the win. 

Absolutely loving it too. They really have created a fantastic device that also feels really comfortable. I only got mine recently so haven't had a chance to get the TG core but I've heard nothing but good things.

12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I agree with some others that the form factor is not the best, but the hardware itself is phenomenal. Love the ability to unlock more cores as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I agree with some others that the form factor is not the best, but the hardware itself is phenomenal. Love the ability to unlock more cores as well.

Isn't the hardware itself (inside, minus the screen) basically the exact same hardware that they used for the Super NT and Mega NT, if not the NT Mini as well?

19 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Isn't the hardware itself (inside, minus the screen) basically the exact same hardware that they used for the Super NT and Mega NT, if not the NT Mini as well?

I have no clue. I'm not much of a tech specs kind of person when it comes to this type of stuff. I just know it feels sturdy and reliable and the screen is great. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the internals.

In a way yes, but also not, as this one is their pilot new style hardware format that runs on Analogue OS.  When it was pitched they had talked about how it could be third party company friendly as you could control things, do things, run a store or whatever other possible functionality.  It raised some concerns they could use the OS to meddle with peoples ability to run flash kits, homebrew, pirates, multicarts, etc not wanting some drm shenanigans.  SO far, not the case with all the open cores, but it's still kind of in a way in beta on the dock and hardware given some interesting issues.  All in all it's a fine piece of hardware, just needs more time to develop the firmware/OS still due to bugs.

It's also possible why they're doing this big last large push of the NT and SG, it could be them retiring them to add in that potentially controlling analogue OS to it too as the Duo whenever that drops will have that on there as well.

33 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Cyclone V but Wikipedia also lists the cyclone 10 as well for pocket but like @Tanooki said it’s more about the Analogue OS which allows developers to make cores for whatever systems can be supported by the cyclone V. 

edit: ok cyclone V for the fpga for like Genesis/SNES/NES and I think the built in cartridge stuff and cyclone 10 for development of new cores. 

edit: or per Ars developers can access both cores. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/07/analogue-pocket-gets-future-minded-fpga-cores-update-with-mister-in-its-sights/amp/

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still looking for a good hard case for their pocket I highly recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JM6452C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I was looking at two suggested by users here but they were sold out so I grabbed this one. There are two pockets to store some games and a Velcro strap to secure the Pocket, although it’s a great fit so you don’t need to secure it if you don’t want to.

Homebrew Team · Posted
On 1/8/2023 at 6:19 PM, darkchylde28 said:

I can answer in broad terms, it is above my head, but basically the difference is the type of FPGA in it as well as it having two instead on one. The model (type?) of FPGA will determine what it can and cant do.  They essentially have a max capacity (logic elements).

3 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I can answer in broad terms, it is above my head, but basically the difference is the type of FPGA in it as well as it having two instead on one. The model (type?) of FPGA will determine what it can and cant do.  They essentially have a max capacity (logic elements).

Gotcha.  I didn't look up the specifics, but thought that they had had the same FPGA (or at least one matching FPGA among them) since they were all able to run cores of both the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, since typically you only need to go up in complexity/power on an FPGA when you need to do something more complicated.

I'm slightly amused that I ordered by Game Gear Adapter, by itself without a pocket or dock, early last April and it's still not shipped.  Granted, I was told it had an estimated ship date of 2023, but I surely thought that as a simpler device, it'd probably come in sooner than than that.

I can tell from photos but for those of you that have one of those adapters, how many chips are on that board?  It can't be anything too fancy that'd take this long to be manufactured due to chip shortages?  FPGAs are one thing but a dumb board with a simple microcontroller (which is what I guess it is) is completely different.

5 hours ago, RH said:

I'm slightly amused that I ordered by Game Gear Adapter, by itself without a pocket or dock, early last April and it's still not shipped.  Granted, I was told it had an estimated ship date of 2023, but I surely thought that as a simpler device, it'd probably come in sooner than than that.

I can tell from photos but for those of you that have one of those adapters, how many chips are on that board?  It can't be anything too fancy that'd take this long to be manufactured due to chip shortages?  FPGAs are one thing but a dumb board with a simple microcontroller (which is what I guess it is) is completely different.

Two very small semiconductors

image.jpg.a6157cb3f9fd998ce5a14a2c04cc8c8b.jpgimage.jpg.083c27e3d78bb7693b05129b69d94b3e.jpgimage.jpg.2c7d8e855c9b87d9a3e96b036d729b27.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

21 hours ago, RH said:

I can tell you from experience in manufacturing that the complexity of the widget being made has a lot less to do with how long it takes to produce it compared to parts availability and scheduling.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, Pendragonx said:

still waiting for my Pocket to ship.. it's now listed as 'preparing' and the email I got said it was supposed to ship the week of the 9th... but clearly that didnt happen :classic_sad:

edit: JUST got it today! finally!!!!!1111!1!!! eleven!!!1!!

Congrats.  When did  you order yours?

I'm still waiting on that GG adapter of mine, though it's getting close to a year after ordering it. I'm not agitated.  I know it said it'd ship in 2023 and we're barely a quarter into this year.  Still, if people are getting pockets shipped to them in January, I'd like to hope my adapter is coming soon.  I hope...

My GG adapter showed up today from the ebay seller, dude got on that fast.

I'm thoroughly impressed how well it works so far using it as a handheld.  I've never seen those GG games pop so well.  Color, audio, control really on point.  I'm glad I was able to wrangle that for the same price, and not have to pay analogue and wait what...a year? for it.

The thing is super tight on the carts though, wasn't that a known issue I vaguely recall?  My new multi had the label badly set, it almost peeled it off so I had to very carefully steam heat it, remove and reapply in the indent to stop a problem before it really happened.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• 1 month later...
Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Try and get one, if not ill probably have my wife pre-order too just in case. Then I can send it to you if you cant snag it. 

Appreciate it! I'll give it the ol' college try for sure, though I'll be on my phone so speed may be an issue. Not sure if this one will disappear immediately, though I imagine resellers will be all over it based on previous releases.