IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

On 5/22/2021 at 12:46 AM, FenrirZero said:

But the adverts in GTA Online says that medical cocaine is safe enough to be used daily! Or are you saying we should not replicate anything we see or hear in any type of media outlet? 🙃

Well, "medical cocaine" is what you get at the ENT (ears, nose, throat doctor) to open up your sinuses for better inspection.

Definitely not a "full dose" in any recreational sense, but enough that you notice the sensation.  (they put it on a q-tip and spin it around way up inside your nose)

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

We're still doing the "mask up indoors, please" thing here. Which I think is reasonable.

Yeah, they're supposedly doing the same thing here, but walking in, you'd never know it.  Nearly everybody actually eating inside the restaurants (but not actually having received their food) aren't wearing masks, most cashiers and food prep people have token masks on but more often than not have them below their noses or wrapped up under their chins (presumably to be able to put them on in a hurry if someone in authority were to catch them).  The whole thing got even worse when the surrounding county failed to renew their mask mandate, even though the city inside of it has its own, independent mask mandate that's still 100% in effect.  Not that any management or local law enforcement ever really did much to enforce it.  I think our local weekend farmer's market operated by the city is about the only place that any sort of firm enforcement has taken place--you aren't allowed to enter if you aren't wearing a mask.  Half the time, though, it's the guy who works for the city who runs the space that's actually doing the enforcement, while a cop going maskless or doing the chin tuck stands around doing nothing until specifically asked (despite standing right at the entrance).

Sadly, the whole pandemic and everything that's come of it has only served to strengthen and worsen my inability to stand stupid people (not ignorant people, but the people who know better but do something anyway).

• Like 1

You guys are starting to relax? Wow, 2-3 weeks ago our premier put in new restrictions banning non-essential business from even being open and the remaining business have a mandatory work from home order. They were partially lifted a few days ago but not much else has changed.

32 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

You guys are starting to relax? Wow, 2-3 weeks ago our premier put in new restrictions banning non-essential business from even being open and the remaining business have a mandatory work from home order. They were partially lifted a few days ago but not much else has changed.

We've had a super aggressive vaccine push in most states. While we have some anti-vax idiot holdouts, most people are willing to take it and get things back to normal.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4215386

Nice to see the fake Taiwanense leaving again...

It really pisses me off, a large portion of these folks came last year just to escape from the covid-19 trouble in the States, despite many of them never actually having lived here before. There was even a Taiwanense woman in the States who contracted covid-19, then came back to Taiwan for treatment, since the treatment would have been cheaper and better. The only thing? She left Taiwan forty years prior, and hadn't been back until the treatment for the pandemic!

Now the same riffraff is all going back to the States, as they don't like what they're seeing here. And they definitely won't be helping out if our cuddly, affable friend to the north decides to invade. 

Tbh, this sort of garbage doesn't even deserve a Taiwanense passport, as clearly their loyalties aren't towards the country.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lockdown-states-like-california-did-better-economically-than-looser-states-like-florida-new-covid-data-shows-153025163.html

Like seemingly everything else in America, the COVID-19 pandemic has sparked its fair share of bitter, polarizing debates: over masks, over distancing, over vaccines.

Lockdowns are no exception. One assumption many Americans seem to make is that the more a government limits gatherings, mandates masks, restricts business activity and advises residents to stay at home, the more economic damage it will do.

Among the loudest of these voices is Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican who raised his national profile by allowing bars and restaurants to operate at full indoor capacity during America’s horrific holiday surge, then effectively banned mask mandates once Florida started to recover — all in the name of supporting business.

“She’s a lockdown lobbyist,” DeSantis recently said in reference to Democrat Nikki Fried, one of his 2022 gubernatorial opponents. Speaking at a New Smyrna Beach restaurant, DeSantis said Fried “would have had this business shuttered for the whole year. They would be out of business if Fried were governor.”

Yet for much of the past year, some experts have quietly advanced a counterargument: that economic activity is mainly affected by the rising and falling severity of the pandemic itself — not the relative strictness of the measures implemented to mitigate it. In fact, these experts argued, nonpharmaceutical interventions, or NPIs — a set of 20 government responses such as business closures, mask mandates and stay-at-home advisories that Oxford University rates according to stringency — can have an economic upside. The more the virus seems to be under control, the more eager people will be to participate in the economy.

Last week, this argument got a boost with the publication of a new report by economists at the University of California, Los Angeles. According to the latest quarterly UCLA Anderson Forecast, not only did big states with more stringent COVID measures end 2020 with fewer infections per capita, they also tended to post better economic growth numbers last year than states with fewer restrictions.

In other words, California’s economy actually fared better than Florida’s.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, here's how it is in Taiwan at the moment.

In the area (central) that @OptOut and I live, there's been miniscule amounts of cases for the past week or so, we're talking 1 - 2 cases. 

By now, the amount of new cases country wide has dropped to double digits, past several days have been less than 50 cases. And the majority of the cases (about 95%+) are all in the north, in Taipei and New Taipei.

Today for example, there were 27 new cases (yes, only 27!) , 25 were from Taipei/New Taipei (New Taipei is basically suburbs). Yet the government refuses to open up the rest of the island, basically the Taiwanense equivalent of Dr Fauci says that "all of Taiwan must stay in soft lockdown together"...

But you want to know what's truly nuts? Hotspot Taipei just opened up night markets again, wtf? So for people like OptOut and I, we have to do online teaching in an area where there's little to no cases, yet where the vast majority of cases are, they are opening up night markets social events? Wtf? At the end of the day, it goes back to politicians (who all reside up north) not wanting to impose lockdowns on themselves, while everywhere else has no worries yet isn't allowed to be free

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, fcgamer said:

Yeah this is pretty disgusting news and I'm not a fan of it. The federal government & state government has basically sat around since the start and continued with hotel quarantine in the heart of the city, when they should have been building hubs in the rural areas so we can start getting actual citizens back home. Would have created jobs and gotten people back home. It's sad to see that my country doesn't consider you are a "true citizen" unless you're living in the country. Had no difficulty getting Tom Hanks into the country to film a movie though.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Yeah this is pretty disgusting news and I'm not a fan of it. The federal government & state government has basically sat around since the start and continued with hotel quarantine in the heart of the city, when they should have been building hubs in the rural areas so we can start getting actual citizens back home. Would have created jobs and gotten people back home. It's sad to see that my country doesn't consider you are a "true citizen" unless you're living in the country. Had no difficulty getting Tom Hanks into the country to film a movie though.

I don't want to be the guy, but I had posted this as I thought it was disgusting how all these folks are suddenly trying to go back to begin with.

Taiwan has had the same situation, except they are letting the people in and out, and that's in part why I'm now sitting at home alone in a soft lockdown, losing pay and going insane, despite there being no cases in my area.

That woman and her husband who were living in the States for twenty years or whatever, for example, why did they suddenly have to go back this year? Well likely they were trying to cash in on the housing market, imo

During a pandemic no one should be traveling as is just puts a strain on health services and health workers, while also increasing the chances of spreading the disease, and those who are traveling are generally doing so for selfish reasons, imo. So I personally have to side with Australia on this one.

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I don't want to be the guy, but I had posted this as I thought it was disgusting how all these folks are suddenly trying to go back to begin with.

Taiwan has had the same situation, except they are letting the people in and out, and that's in part why I'm now sitting at home alone in a soft lockdown, losing pay and going insane, despite there being no cases in my area.

That woman and her husband who were living in the States for twenty years or whatever, for example, why did they suddenly have to go back this year? Well likely they were trying to cash in on the housing market, imo

During a pandemic no one should be traveling as is just puts a strain on health services and health workers, while also increasing the chances of spreading the disease, and those who are traveling are generally doing so for selfish reasons, imo. So I personally have to side with Australia on this one.

Yeah also true, I don't disagree with that. As it currently stands I don't think we should take in too many citizens because our hotel quarantine is mostly all in the heart of our major cities. Which is why we keep getting these stupid little outbreaks every now and then. If they had set them up in rural areas that would have been a better idea and some of these people could come back. I don't think it is all to do with money though, some people have sick family members they might not get to see before they pass away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Stuck on the couch today from 2nd dose symptoms. Full on flu, basically. 

Lots of water, Advil, feeling a bit better. But even so, had to take the day off work (and prob tomorrow too). 

Sucks, I can't stand sitting still. 

Lucky. I missed my second shot, thinking I will restart with the first dose.

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Lots of water, Advil, feeling a bit better. But even so, had to take the day off work (and prob tomorrow too). 

12 minutes ago, Californication said:

Lucky. I missed my second shot, thinking I will restart with the first dose.

Don't mind me, just a recent recipient of the J&J vaccine strolling through 😎

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Look on the bright side, your immune system works. 🙂