IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

We've decided to close the school for a week, to see if the situation worsens, and we're keeping our kids at home.

If cases spike next week, we will remain closed until the crisis is over.

Yeah, it's best to err on the side of caution, although I personally don't think we're at that point yet (in Taichung anyways, Changhua has had more cases, though we'll see what the news at 14:30 says), if I were in your position I'd likely come to the same decision.

Hopefully this can be resolved quickly!

Edited by fcgamer
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GPX said:

Regarding your web links, they are mostly referring to studies on the seriously affected cases, not necessarily for the majority of the cases. We currently know that the majority of people can be asymptomatic to “flu-like”, and they normally can fully recover, despite the recovery time being more likely longer than the usual flu.

Regarding your example of smoking in smokers, if a smoker dies from respiratory failure, you can’t just assume the death is due to smoking. It maybe an unrelated underlying condition (eg. asbestosis, tuberculosis etc.). In a similar vein, alcoholics that die may have been caused from viral Hepatitis, paracetamol overdose etc.). Again, this isn’t to undermine the seriousness of this pandemic (or the seriousness of smoking/alcohol abuse), but to encourage more better understanding of the deaths in real terms. It’s a bit more complex than meets the eye.

If someone dies after a new condition aggravates an earlier condition, and would not have died if the new condition didn’t come about, then the later condition may be accurately cited as the cause. If someone has a weak heart, but is surviving, and then dies after doing a lot of exciting drugs, would you say they died of an overdose? or of a heart condition? Or of a drug-induced heart attack? 

On 5/15/2021 at 8:34 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

So deaths were way up from year to year in 2020, and these are absolute numbers. What killed these people? It sure as hell wasn't the flu or diabetes.

The other interesting thing is that since flu transmission was WAY down for 2020, we can also reasonably lump MOST (if not all) deaths that would otherwise have been attributable to flu into the probable-covid-bucket.  (i.e. covid isn't just "excess deaths" -- it is potentially and likely excess + other-types-of-death-that-happened-less-in-2020)

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Link said:

If someone dies after a new condition aggravates an earlier condition, and would not have died if the new condition didn’t come about, then the later condition may be accurately cited as the cause. If someone has a weak heart, but is surviving, and then dies after doing a lot of exciting drugs, would you say they died of an overdose? or of a heart condition? Or of a drug-induced heart attack? 

Depends on the doctor signing the death certificate.  

If your example died after doing an amount of drugs that a normal person could tolerate, they may indeed cite the main death factor as their existing heart condition.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

If your example died after doing an amount of drugs that a normal person could tolerate, they may indeed cite the main death factor as their existing heart condition.

Yep, this hits the point. 

If someone smokes a joint and dies of a heart attack, this is likely death from a heart attack and the joint was incidental to the cause.

If someone smokes 50 joints and dies of a heart attack, then it’s likely death from “a drug overdose”.

Currently, the “Covid19 deaths” are mostly all presumed due to Covid19. There isn’t really enough time to do a deep analysis of how much of it is attributable to the death and how much of it is more incidental. This though won’t really change how we should go about things with the hand hygiene and social distancing/masks. It’s just a thought diversion for now I suppose. 

7 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The Floyd case was a different thread (sarcasm).

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I ultimately decided to pay to get vaccinated, though I still need to get my second jab, which won't be for probably three months.

While I'm not intending to sound like I'm trying to make a decision for you, based on how these things work, I don't think you can wait that long to get the second dose and still have it be effective.  They way this has worked virtually everywhere else (and nationwide in the US) is that you get scheduled for your second dose (if one is necessary) upon completion of your first.  The second dose of each vaccine is different from the first, so it can't just be given to people who haven't already received the first shot and are just as in danger of going bad if they try to let them sit around waiting for people who are more than 4-6 weeks out from receiving it.

If you have any say in the matter, please make sure you get your second/final shot within 4 and not outside of 6 weeks from the date of your first to make sure you're actually inoculated properly and gain immunity like you're supposed to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Let's throw this piece of shit onto the pile as well, beating up a 22 year old clerk just because the man doesn't want to wear a mask or leave contact info.

https://taiwanenglishnews.com/convenience-store-clerk-beaten-up-by-customer-who-refused-to-comply-with-epidemic-control-measures/

I hate to say, but it sounds like the US a year ago. Stay as safe as you can

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 11:18 AM, GPX said:

Yep, this hits the point. 

If someone smokes a joint and dies of a heart attack, this is likely death from a heart attack and the joint was incidental to the cause.

If someone smokes 50 joints and dies of a heart attack, then it’s likely death from “a drug overdose”.

What the fuck was in that joint!?! Holy shit, that sounds like some killer weed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.axios.com/covid-deaths-zero-states-2ccdd285-6600-43a3-8734-3d5efa4ba912.html?fbclid=IwAR1SxHryiSfrcdwW_sR-6xB1NG4KwwQsnATKXYg6eKM6PtcK9Uj9nrgBIm4

Over the weekend, Texas reported reaching the milestone of zero deaths from COVID-19 for the first time since March 2020. Arizona, Minnesota, and Massachusetts also recently reported COVID death-free days for the first time in months.

State of play: Other states also posted positive COVID metrics at the top of the week while COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. fell to their lowest in nearly 14 months, Reuters reported.

• Maryland reported its lowest new daily COVID-19 cases since the end of March 2020, the Baltimore Sun reported. Virginia also posted its lowest rate of new cases since the beginning of the pandemic, the Virginian-Pilot wrote.
  • Of course, expect this to spark more political debates about how individual states have handled mask mandates and reopening. As Newsweek pointed out, in March, Biden called Texas' leaders reopening plan "neanderthal thinking."
  • And it's important to remember, plenty of states are still battling to get their case counts down. Alabama, Colorado and Michigan have the most cases per capita in the nation.

The big picture: There are still a lot of people who still need help abroad and it's far too soon to declare victory. But at least in the U.S., the evidence is growing that there are good reasons to be hopeful.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, OptOut said:

Lockdown is official here, school will be closed for no fewer than 2 weeks... Sucks, for sure, but then again I had been desperate for some time off! 😅

Get used to seeing me getting up to a little more mischief around these parts in the meantime! 😉

Well technically we aren't at lockdown yet, that'll likely happen over the weekend. 😉 I've even heard rumours of sending in the military to enforce it, uh oh.

Different note, I told off a woman yesterday for riding my ass whilst in the queue. Then there were the maskless folks dancing in the park. If attitudes like that continue, we're really screwed.

I personally think we should just do a Sweden and call it a day - it sounds cold and heartless, but seeing as how it's mostly the aging population here that are refusing to follow the protocol to keep things from spreading, I think it's a much better option than ruining the livlyhoods of those who actually are taking the whole thing seriously.

• Like 1

So... I got my second Moderna shot on 5/19 around 11:00 PST.

By 22:00 PST the effects started to kick in, with it kicking in full power at 03:00 PST the following day. The nausea can be best described as a feeling one would get if they were in a room full of Japanese Dreamcast games that were graded by WataGames. After it was revealed that said games were homebrews that sold for large sums of money even though they are easy to obtain new/sealed at sane prices.

Along with the tremors, I also experienced on-again, off-again heat to my limbs. Which has me have a better understanding in regards to what women can experience when they go through menopause. With all pain having me conclude that the things I sometimes say hurt that much for those who think. When I finally found a position that helped me alleviate these issues, all I was left with was a pain in my neck.

Which has me now understand what I can be to a number of you guys.

The following events between that and today had me take a single Aleve for the pain in my neck, and also have my cat be my personal resident nurse. With all food I tried to consume not taste that great. As well as see what Dragon Quest Island is like *sobs*, try to post something here (and fail), and play some GTA Online via Steam.

All I can say is that I am alive, which means that none of you get to decide who inherits my game collection.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, Link said:

Seriously. When I said drug-induced heart attack, I meant cocaine at the minimum 🤣 

But the adverts in GTA Online says that medical cocaine is safe enough to be used daily! Or are you saying we should not replicate anything we see or hear in any type of media outlet? 🙃

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:46 PM, FenrirZero said:

But the adverts in GTA Online says that medical cocaine is safe enough to be used daily! Or are you saying we should not replicate anything we see or hear in any type of media outlet? 🙃

Well, I said at least. Of course you can take coke daily, but an overdose may cause a heart attack. Weed, though? 

I guess if someone could if they ate gummies like a bag of fruit snacks when youre only supposed to take one, and they suffer chronic* anxiety attacks. No pun intended

On 5/21/2021 at 11:41 PM, FenrirZero said:

Which has me now understand what I can be to a number of you guys.

Imagine how much worse the full-on virus would be.