IGNORED

Game Debate #150: Super Mario Bros. 3 (super cereal this time)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

There are those rare moments in gaming, that one in a generation, and I mean living not console, where something is so well designed, so well executed, everything about the play groomed to the very point.

That's Super Mario Bros. 3.

To find fault in this, you basically would be grasping at straws and/or just hate Nintendo and Mario and let that get in the way.  Everything in this game just comes together.  You could remove Mario and put some generic 90s mascot in there otherwise, reskin out any previous Mario assets (like some reverse Doki Doki Panic inception moment) and it still would be just that good yet someone else would have got the acclaim.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

37 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

There are those rare moments in gaming, that one in a generation, and I mean living not console, where something is so well designed, so well executed, everything about the play groomed to the very point.

That's Super Mario Bros. 3.

To find fault in this, you basically would be grasping at straws and/or just hate Nintendo and Mario and let that get in the way.  Everything in this game just comes together.  You could remove Mario and put some generic 90s mascot in there otherwise, reskin out any previous Mario assets (like some reverse Doki Doki Panic inception moment) and it still would be just that good yet someone else would have got the acclaim.

I now want a copy of this game reskinned and branded Doki Doki Panic 2!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

So, yes, this was an easy 10 for me.  I mentioned in my Xenogears message for that game that I felt it was a 10.  It has flaws but what that game did well, and right, you can completely ignore the bad parts.  In fact, play just disk 1 of that game.  It's still a 10.

With SMB3, this game has been played so many times by so many people and dissected, yes, it's easy to find that this isn't a perfect game.  You can occasionally bump into odd bugs but in spite of those issues, what this game gets right it gets perfect.  It's truly a masterpiece for a piece of 6502 work and probably the best example of the best that could come out of any system built on top of that CPU architecture.

• Like 1

It's a legendary game that almost everyone with a NES or at their friends played.

Yet these days i just don't have much fun playing it. The levels are easy, the coins don't hold significance, the secret rooms and pipes feel more like a chore to reach rather than something fun. It's the type of game where experiencing itself largely contributes to the enjoyment but ones that has been seen & done there's just not a ton of fun left in the actual gameplay. As things stand today i'd give it a 4.

• Wow! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

@Dr. Morbis I imagine it was a bit by design even if the game dated back to when SMB2(ours) dropped in the US.  But as you said, it's still a 10, the battery is subjective and well with how time is NOW for me vs 30 years ago I'm more inclined to use my one off MMC5 super-hack Super Mario All-Stars hack cart which has save by stage (not even by castle) in SMB3.