IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Millipede!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 2nd round of the 2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest!

This week we visit the Arcade genre with a very classic Arcade game! Coming all the way back from the year 1982, we have Millipede!!!

This week our players are in for another round of fast and furious action. The rules they will have to follow are belo:

• Player 1 player mode B
  • Play till you lose your first life
  • You can't point press the millipede by not killing it for more than 3 minutes per round till round 10. After round 10 you can farm it freely... if you can.
  • When you die, pause the game and take your picture as you respawn
  • Participation: 5,000 points
  • Genre: Arcade

May the best insect killer win!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/09/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st Gloves 129,073
2nd Dr. Morbis 117,406
3rd nesmaster14 109,248
4th NESfiend 79,479
5th Richardhead 60,766
6th PII 59,858
7th BlackVega 50,246
8th mbd39 50,038
9th RH 45,047
10th docile tapeworm 43,753
11th G-type 39,407
12th 8bitdontquit 32,685
13th JamesRobot 29,309
14th SuperJimtendo 22,210
15th Krunch 19,668
16th a3quit4s 15,318

The first real score of mine is posted-- 21,660.  The only advice I have to give is you probably will want to play this on on a NES if you can.  I really like the Analogue Pocket's controls (for what they are) but there's nothing like the Gunpei Yokoi classic design to the d-pad, and you really need to be precise in your ship placement.

I know my score is no @Gloves but I'll get better.  Also, this game is the king of pick-up-and-play.  Man, I made that +20k in about 2 minutes.  Gloves, how long you think it took you to get that 90k?  5 Minutes?

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

The first real score of mine is posted-- 21,660.  The only advice I have to give is you probably will want to play this on on a NES if you can.  I really like the Analogue Pocket's controls (for what they are) but there's nothing like the Gunpei Yokoi classic design to the d-pad, and you really need to be precise in your ship placement.

I know my score is no @Gloves but I'll get better.  Also, this game is the king of pick-up-and-play.  Man, I made that +20k in about 2 minutes.  Gloves, how long you think it took you to get that 90k?  5 Minutes?

Probably about 5 minutes, yeah. I'll have runs where it FEELS like I'm doing great but then I die and look at my score and it's 40k, whereas the 90k score felt short.

I've not looked up anything on the game yet, but there's pretty clearly some correlation between rounds and what I'd call "bonus" enemies - you've likely seen that with some progress you get a bunch of enemies flying down from the top of the screen for like 15 seconds or so with no millipedes on screen. These evolve into harder to hit enemies which give more points ("bonus 1" = 200 each, 2 = 500 each, and so on). There's likely some balance between playing it "safe" and NOT pushing through rounds (thus increasing difficulty) too quickly, and getting to higher rounds with more score opportunities.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.e739e9d7e7cfd7b41d1235a0094443f7.jpeg

Great game design.  Only thing the NES port needed was analog trackball support.  They made analog work with arkanoid NES, woulda been cool for this port.  I feel the d-pad leaves a bit desired (also nintenditis lol) for millipede. Still a fun challenge though, perhaps even harder than arcade. 

millipede_001.jpeg.3d302bf68ce50af42c1f61b7f97b2e87.jpeg

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 2