IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Millipede!

BeaIank

59 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I can't imagine why I'd ever want a CIB Millipede.

51 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Even owning a loose copy begs the question why

Well, there's chance that ones Mom and Dad might have bonded over Centipede/Millipede in the arcade and when the NES came out, that Mom wanted to get a copy to enjoy with her children.

I mean, you know.  That might have happened to someone...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, there's chance that ones Mom and Dad might have bonded over Centipede/Millipede in the arcade and when the NES came out, that Mom wanted to get a copy to enjoy with her children.

I mean, you know.  That might have happened to someone...

I hope that DID happen because that is beautiful.

I used to have CIB MILLIPEDE on my relatively small list of NES CIB's to obtain, back when it was cheap.  Somehow, I never got around to picking up a copy.  the Artwork is Great and I used to play it on the Commodore when I was a wee sprout.  But as has already been semi-pointed out people now want stupid money for a cib game the average gamer doesn't care to play, which is kind of sad because it's probably the best "Arcade Style" (single screen/nonscrolling) Shooter out there or at least the best one that I can think of.  I like it better than space invaders, galaga, galaxian and all of the many, many galaga/galaxian clones that I've played, threshold, demon attack etc.

But then, we aren't average gamers here are we? 😉 

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, PII said:

I can't do this good like @Murray but investigative reporter PII is on the job never-the-less...

AREA WORM ATTEMPTS SUBTERFUGE...?

Never been a big fan of this game 😁

😁 I can’t even break 40k and I own a loose copy of this game.

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 3.12.19 PM.png

I was mistaken I don’t own a copy of this game. Lol.

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

I’m still curious why the strat of leaving the millipede was ruled point pressing?

I read that an hour ago and it helped. If you can get down to one little piece of the millipede, ESPECIALLY when shit is going slow, you can farm spiders. I didnt get good at it, but it adds up just trying. I wish I had started doing that mid week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Thought maybe I had done enough to podium, on a shooter! Should have known @Dr. Morbis would pull a morbis and put up a last minute monster. 

If it wasn't Easter weekend, I think I could've beaten gloves, but I just didn't have much time.  It's one of those games where you feel like you could last forever and every death is just a stupid mistake...

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If it wasn't Easter weekend, I think I could've beaten gloves, but I just didn't have much time.  It's one of those games where you feel like you could last forever and every death is just a stupid mistake...

I never can get this game. I never can get a feel for it. I never made it passed the 4th maybe 5th millipede. Defender is the same thing for me. These older arcade shooters crush me.

Nice job Gloves, Morbo & Nesmaster for clearing 100K+!  Everyone else, myself included I'm sorely disappointed in.  🙀  JK  

Stuff I Learned:

#1 Try not to move toward anything unless its to get into position to kill it.

#2 It's possible to shoot between two spiders that are touching without hitting either.

#3 It's also possible to move the gun (the manual calls it a magic arrow, but I'm just gonna call it the gun) between two spiders that are touching as well.  This only happened to me a single time this week, maybe it was a glitch or something Idk...

#4 The projectile that comes out of the gun must be fired from the backside of the gun because its possible to shoot things that are right beside the backside of the gun.  This happened to me on multiple occasions.

#5 The worst thing in the world is having to wonder if something that is directly in front of the gun is going to get shot or walk right into the gun before it gets shot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted

I enjoyed my time with the game well enough. It definitely more often than not does indeed feel unfair when death happens, but I've found some gut checks that mitigate that danger. Like, never get stuck in a corner, stuff like that. 

I ended up playing other games most of the week (been playing Mario all stars on snes), wasn't expecting to land first, so that was a pleasant surprise. Takes a lot of tries, and a ton of patience. 

• Like 1