IGNORED

About the Explanation of Development Authorization for Star Keeper Branch Version

zxdplay

4 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

I don't know how many times I have to say that the content pointed to by the link in the NFT cannot be changed

I think the issue for most people, definitely for me, was that we've never seen an arweave link before and had never heard of this site before.

I suppose it seems more concrete, at least as long as they bother to keep their servers up. If that company decides they don't want to maintain the servers where that data is stored anymore then the contract points to a dead link.

IDK I'm sure I'm just being a cynical boomer here, but it just seems to me like the NFT part of this is just adding extra layers of complexity and trying to hold people to a "contract" without hiring a lawyer and by writing the "contract" yourself as a cost-savings measure. The problem is that when something goes wrong, you're relying on a "contract" you wrote to protect yourself. This is the same as writing a "contract" yourself on a tissue and asking someone to sign it. Except the tissue is stored on the internet.

One last piece of advice, if you're still interested in hearing some. We have a phrase in English, I'm not sure if it will translate very well, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It basically means you can spend much less effort in preparation and save yourself a lot of effort in the future.

If you can't afford a lawyer to write up a contract and protect you now, what makes you think you'll be able to afford a lawyer to hunt down and prosecute the buyers of this NFT after they do whatever they want with your assets? I think the consequences of your actions now will cost you more in the future than you are saving now.

I don't have a perfect answer for you either way, I just want you to consider the potential problems you could face with this. As with the rest of the participants here I really, genuinely hope that you are successful in your endeavors, but I have my doubts and concerns with the way you're going about this. You're in an unenviable position and I understand that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Got it.  Then, as-is, your contract leaves you open to the first person who buys an NFT stealing your IP and preventing you from doing anything about it since nobody is allowed to get litigious with one another.  It's still safer in the NFT itself, since there's a place and everything for it.

Again, best of luck.

There may be some issues in the agreement, such as prohibiting litigation against the other party, and I will make modifications to make it more legally binding.

Thank you for your suggestions.

8 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

There may be some issues in the agreement, such as prohibiting litigation against the other party, and I will make modifications to make it more legally binding.

Dude, I know you said you couldn't afford a lawyer, but trying to write your own legal wording into a business contract is what will get you in trouble.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Khromak said:

One last piece of advice, if you're still interested in hearing some. We have a phrase in English, I'm not sure if it will translate very well, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It basically means you can spend much less effort in preparation and save yourself a lot of effort in the future.

If you can't afford a lawyer to write up a contract and protect you now, what makes you think you'll be able to afford a lawyer to hunt down and prosecute the buyers of this NFT after they do whatever they want with your assets? I think the consequences of your actions now will cost you more in the future than you are saving now.

I don't have a perfect answer for you either way, I just want you to consider the potential problems you could face with this. As with the rest of the participants here I really, genuinely hope that you are successful in your endeavors, but I have my doubts and concerns with the way you're going about this. You're in an unenviable position and I understand that.

I understood everything you said. Thank you for your concern. I will handle the authorization very carefully.

@zxdplay if your serious about needing money PM me what you want monetarily for the rights to Star Keeper. I will keep the 87arts name on as the creator and developer of the game forever with no exceptions and even give you exclusive rights to develop and a 70% share of the gross net profits to you should you decide you really do want to develop Star Keeper 2. Or we can even enter into a partnership to co-own the Star Keeper IP, wherein you don’t need to do anything really. So long as you know my plans are to have you turn over what you have, get Star Keeper running on modern PCBs and chips, and Kickstart the fuck out of a re-release in hopes of you creating or being involved creatively in a sequel. 

Everyone’s got a price, name yours. No NFTs, no branch games, no BS!

@Scrobins I’ll retain you as counsel if @zxdplay is interested. If the price is out of my range anyone else interested that is liquid who wants to enter into a partnership agreement for the good of Star Keeper is welcome

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

Administrator · Posted
48 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

@zxdplay if your serious about needing money PM me what you want monetarily for the rights to Star Keeper. I will keep the 87arts name on as the creator and developer of the game forever with no exceptions and even give you exclusive rights to develop and a 70% share of the gross net profits to you should you decide you really do want to develop Star Keeper 2. Or we can even enter into a partnership to co-own the Star Keeper IP, wherein you don’t need to do anything really. So long as you know my plans are to have you turn over what you have, get Star Keeper running on modern PCBs and chips, and Kickstart the fuck out of a re-release in hopes of you creating or being involved creatively in a sequel. 

@Scrobins I’ll retain you as counsel if @zxdplay is interested. If the price is out of my range anyone else interested that is liquid who wants to enter into a partnership agreement for the good of Star Keeper is welcome

I'll give like $50 more than this guy.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Put me down for a copy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, zxdplay said:

@darkchylde28

I am a programmer, I have written Eth smart contract code, I understand the underlying technology of blockchain and decentralized storage, I think NFT can be used as a medium for IP authorization
But if you don't believe me, there's nothing I can do

@zxdplay We believe in you. We just don't know if there are developers willing to take on this task by using the NFT as rights to develop Star Keeper " branch"  games.  

Edited by RetroX85
  • Agree 2

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I've been saving up for the rights to the Star Keeper IP!

Gloves thinks he got the VGS money to spend but if learned anything it's he needs to consult a financial adviser like zxdplay needs to consult a lawyer.  This thread is going to have both @spacepupand @Scrobins reacting like...

God Help Me Lord Have Mercy GIF by Digital Pratik

• Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
Just now, FireHazard51 said:

Gloves thinks he got the VGS money to spend but if learned anything it's he needs to consult a financial adviser like zxdplay needs to consult a lawyer.  This thread is going to have both @spacepupand @Scrobins reacting like...

God Help Me Lord Have Mercy GIF by Digital Pratik

I don't do my taxes!

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Now I get it. 

@zxdplay If you are interested in selling or licensing out the IP for the original game, I'll do a Famicom version. No pirates, and everything would be hands off on your part, just collecting money. It's a dream for everyone.

8 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Without quality control in the contract you could literally have a shit Star keeper branch game lol

Even if "Branch" games became a spectacle of goofy off the wall Star Keeper games, I don't think that would necessarily ruin the reputation of "Mainline" games he develops (i.e Star Keeper 2, 3...).  Look at Mario Bros 2.  Some hacker created a "Black Man 2" and essentially made it racist.  

Edited by RetroX85

28 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

Even if "Branch" games became a spectacle of goofy off the wall Star Keeper games, I don't think that would necessarily ruin the reputation of "Mainline" games he develops (i.e Star Keeper 2, 3...).  Look at Mario Bros 2.  Some hacker created a "Black Man 2" and essentially made it racist.  

What are you even on about?  Trapper keeper is not SMB.  Let’s be generous and pretend that 500 people even kind of care.    Yeah, maybe most of those will still put some rare homebrew from 20 years ago on a pedestal and ignore all of the crap that was put out after he licensed his IP.  It is ultimately still just a tiny blip.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am confident this plan will fail spectacularly.  He won’t even say how much he wants for this NFT after being asked multiple times.  That can only lead one to the conclusion that he’s going to ask way too much for it.  You want to “ruin the reputation”?  Well this thread was a good start.  

• Like 1

@OptOut

3.1 It is prohibited to use the Star Keeper in connection with malicious, harmful, offensive or
obscene images, videos, or other materials or forms of media, including any that depict
hatred, intolerance, violence, cruelty, or anything else that could reasonably be found to
constitute hate speech orotherwise violate applicable laws or regulations or infringe upon the
rights of others;

However, you have reminded me that I need to prevent this kind of situation from happening. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1