IGNORED

About the Explanation of Development Authorization for Star Keeper Branch Version

zxdplay

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Oh could you guys just give it a rest, please. 

Oh, I want 1.1 btw.

Everyone here on VGS already knows all about you and how contrary all of your opinions are to everyone else on planet earth and the milky way and the galaxies beyond.  But please, don't give zxdplay a ray of false hope; he doesn't understand how objectionably obtuse you are yet, and due to the inherent language barrier, he may never truly know...

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Everyone here on VGS already knows all about you and how contrary all of your opinions are to everyone else on planet earth and the milky way and the galaxies beyond.  But please, don't give zxdplay a ray of false hope; he doesn't understand how objectionably obtuse you are yet, and due to the inherent language barrier, he may never truly know...

He can use Chinese to communicate with me if he wants, and I am fine with that, so the language barrier is likely much less than you would make it out to be for him and I. Then there is the cultural issue, which plays a large part into the formation of language - once again, I suspect I would have a bit of a leg up on that as well. 😉

Personally, I admire the guy for sticking to his guns, and doing what he feels is the right thing to do. There's obviously a lot left unsaid, yet implied, as to why he is doing things the way that he is doing them. I'm excited to see if any risktakers here do actually try to develop a branch game, and will support other Star Keeper products as they come out. 

From where I am sitting, he is looking at the bigger picture, while everyone here is just looking at a single cartridge with a sense of the "I want to play that just because I can't" syndrome, yet in the same breath mutter how the game is just similar to Joust or Balloon Fight, and thus doesn't have the IP potential he is thinking about. Hmm...that's a bit odd.

I don't know jack shit about cryptocurrencies and NTFs and stuff like that, as I simply don't have any interest in it at all, as the plebian I am. If I could toss a few bucks his way and obtain the rights to do a branch game, you can bet I'd be doing it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

@zxdplay Is the first minted 'Star Keeper' NFT now acquired by someone?  

The MyWallet profile that traded for it directs back to his Twitter page so it looks like he transferred it to himself for whatever the heck 110k mojos are?

edit: maybe mojo the crypto? Which would translate to $440 USD at current prices?

Edited by a3quit4s

7 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

The MyWallet profile that traded for it directs back to his Twitter page so it looks like he transferred it to himself for whatever the heck 110k mojos are?

edit: maybe mojo the crypto? Which would translate to $440 USD at current prices?

Yeah I also noticed that "110,000 mojos". I have no idea how to translate that to US currency value lol

@zxdplayWhat is your end goal here?

1. To expand the brand and produce revenue without having to do any programming yourself? I have not been convinced that the NFT will expand the brand. It assumes that those who buy the NFT are developers that see the Star Keeper brand as lucrative. However, the only appeal to current collectors is the original Star Keeper game. More over, it seems to me that community is most interested in your programming.

2. To just produce revenue? The NFT seems like a good way to make a lump some of money. I actually think producing money is the best thing about the NFT.

3. To expand the brand and produce revenue with have you program the content? This seems like while it will take longer to generate the revenue than the NFT road will but will ultimately expand the Star Keeper brand more than any other outlet. One way to expand the brand is to program a Star Keeper successor or reskin the original game and get it on Steam and launch a physical release on kick starter.

Overall, it is hard for me to see the release of the NFT more than a cash grab as it is a quick way to syphon money out of individuals who already have an affinity to the Star Keeper game without having to develop a new game.

• Agree 1

@zxdplayMan, I just want a Star Keeper sequel. It's nice to see you back in the forum. I think most of us just want you to keep doing what you do best And that is continue developing another game. The fact you designed your own mapper and made the original game a great homebrew is why people on this thread want another game. I think most of us would throw in money to help you develop another title; whether the NFT helps you in your journey or not , I respect your programming talent.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Since many people are confused, I'll explain my plan more clearly.

14 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

1. To expand the brand and produce revenue without having to do any programming yourself? I have not been convinced that the NFT will expand the brand. It assumes that those who buy the NFT are developers that see the Star Keeper brand as lucrative. However, the only appeal to current collectors is the original Star Keeper game. More over, it seems to me that community is most interested in your programming.

There are two types of players.

The first type are those who purchase games within the VGS self-made community. I saw on the VGS forum that some players suggested creating a digital version of Star Keeper for release on Steam or other platforms, which is a very very good idea! However, I don't have the time to do it, so I thought of authorizing others to do it for me. I will provide them with all the levels of the game and the map editor, including the source code of the editor and all other resources. Programmers with game development experience can easily use these resources to develop a remake of Star Keeper on other platforms to meet the needs of the community's players.

The second type of players are those outside the VGS community who are used to playing commercial games. For them, games with movie-like graphics, various modes and gameplay mechanics that can be played with a joystick or mouse are the norm. They have no concept of Star Keeper, and for them, there is no difference between the Mainline Game and the Branch Game - both are new business game. Game developers can completely tailor Star Keeper to meet the needs of these players. Some people have mentioned IP issues. Yes, developers can make a game similar to Star Keeper using their own IP, but compared to purchasing a license for Star Keeper, they would rather choose the latter because the game has a good reputation, popularity, and a large potential market that can be tapped into. Moreover, the lifetime license fee is not high for them. They can first sell the side version on the VGS website and then switch to the external market when the popularity reaches a certain level.

When the Branch Game becomes popular, it will also help me raise enough funds to start developing the sequels of Star Keeper. And I guarantee that the mainline sequels of SK will first meet the needs of the self-made community.

15 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

2. To just produce revenue? The NFT seems like a good way to make a lump some of money. I actually think producing money is the best thing about the NFT.

The only possibility for Star Keeper to Authorize NFT to make big money is the success of branch games!

3. To expand the brand and produce revenue with have you program the content? This seems like while it will take longer to generate the revenue than the NFT road will but will ultimately expand the Star Keeper brand more than any other outlet. One way to expand the brand is to program a Star Keeper successor or reskin the original game and get it on Steam and launch a physical release on kick starter.

Of course, I would like to raise funds on Kickstarter and then release it on Steam, but the Kickstarter project is not open to Chinese people.

Overall, it is hard for me to see the release of the NFT more than a cash grab as it is a quick way to syphon money out of individuals who already have an affinity to the Star Keeper game without having to develop a new game.

I never thought about making a lot of money from Star Keeper fans. I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "who already have an affinity to the Star Keeper". If you're talking about game buyers, there are only a few copies of Star Keeper, so how can I make money from them? If you're talking about potential players in the VGS community, if I wanted to make money from them, I would have re-produced the game and sold it for $300-500 a set, but have I done that?

I think I have explained everything as clearly as possible. If you still don't understand, it's my poor English level. > - <

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

@zxdplayMan, I just want a Star Keeper sequel. It's nice to see you back in the forum. I think most of us just want you to keep doing what you do best And that is continue developing another game. The fact you designed your own mapper and made the original game a great homebrew is why people on this thread want another game. I think most of us would throw in money to help you develop another title; whether the NFT helps you in your journey or not , I respect your programming talent.  

thank you very much for your recognition and understanding towards me.
I assure you that I am doing all of this in order to provide more games to players  in the community. and the game is developed by me

Edited by zxdplay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, zxdplay said:

never thought about making a lot of money from Star Keeper fans. I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "who already have an affinity to the Star Keeper". If you're talking about game buyers, there are only a few copies of Star Keeper, so how can I make money from them?

How would someone know of Star Keeper if they had not had exposure to the original game? The NFT will be sold to those who either have a copy of the game, had a copy of the game or want a copy of the game. 

And all of those people would likely pay an inflated price, probably not $500 but $150+ for a game and some extras is definitely on the table. Outside of VGS

The same people who would buy the NFT are a subset of those who would buy a rerelease or a sequel to the game.

Admittedly, the NFT doesn't appeal to me so I am bias. 

11 hours ago, zxdplay said:

The second type of players are those outside the VGS community who are used to playing commercial games. For them, games with movie-like graphics, various modes and gameplay mechanics that can be played with a joystick or mouse are the norm. They have no concept of Star Keeper, and for them, there is no difference between the Mainline Game and the Branch Game - both are new business game. Game developers can completely tailor Star Keeper to meet the needs of these players.

@zxdplay:

Respectfully, there is NO market for Star Keeper among this "second type of players" because they don't know it exists!  Your entire market right now is this small community of retro gamers/collectors, of which many are members here on VGS.  There is no worldwide audience awaiting a new Star Keeper game, literally no one outside of this community.  If you want to expand your market for the Star Keeper IP outside of this community, then you have to release your game on a modern platform (like Steam or Switch) FIRST!!!

Right now, (almost) the entire market for your Star Keeper IP is reading and/or participating in this thread, and what are we telling you?  Listen to your actual fans if you want to have any sort of success.  Seriously. re-read this thread from the start and do some serious soul-searching so that you can hopefully make the right decisions.  You have made a great game, and myself and everyone else in this community would like to see you rightly compensated for your work, but that is only going to happen if you start listening to us and taking our advice...

And by the way, Kickstarter is not the only crowd-funding platform on the planet; there are many others out there as well, so please stop hiding behind the "no Chinese allowed on Kickstarter" excuse.

• Agree 4

@zxdplay

I'll add as much because I know I'm not by far the only one, but I will *NEVER* give money to a crowd funding website for a game, device, some item of sorts.  I have seen so many of them either not go funded, or the person asking for they money doesn't follow through or changes things so people who paid feel betrayed and stolen from.

What @Dr. Morbis said is correct, most of those who care about it, are just us here and other isolated corners of the internet aware of the game and wanting to have it, usually those isolated very small groups of homebrew collectors.  They're mostly not even players, they're what are righty called shelf queens.  A shelf queen is someone who just buys a game like a piece of art, shoves it on the shelf, stares at the box, and never uses it.  I think you want your game played, appreciated, and expanded upon.  Those toxic fools would be your worst enemy.

I want the existing Starkeeper but those toxic shelf queens and investor collectors are those with copies willing to let it go.  They will, for 5-10 times or more what they paid for it because they can be greedy and get away with it.  Why?  Because you won't make more, you won't allow someone who can make more do it either.  I get if you lost the ability to make the parts, or the ability to get someone to do it for you, but you have seen an offer already to help make it happen.  And you?  You want NFTs on something most people don't know exists, and even those who do, even less care enough to own it.  How many tenths of a percent of a percent of people who know, care, and want to own it would even bother with a NFT?  It's crazy.  It's a really really bad business decision on your part.

The right way about this is exposure, mass exposure to easiest accessible markets.  And what's that right now for a low cost 8bit game?
- NINTENDO eshop
- Steam & GoG.com
- Apple Store (iOS)
- Android Stores (Google Play, Amazon, etc.)

That is where you need to make your market and really get a true feel if your IP has actual value to get a base under it to accept sequels, spinoffs, a working living off it, and dare I still include it...your dreams of NFT profits.

You start at NFT you already failed.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Respectfully, there is NO market for Star Keeper among this "second type of players" because they don't know it exists!  Your entire market right now is this small community of retro gamers/collectors, of which many are members here on VGS.  There is no worldwide audience awaiting a new Star Keeper game, literally no one outside of this community.  If you want to expand your market for the Star Keeper IP outside of this community, then you have to release your game on a modern platform (like Steam or Switch) FIRST!!!

@Dr. Morbis

"they don't know it exists!" , This is what I want to say. This situation has both advantages and disadvantages.

Seriously. re-read this thread from the start and do some serious soul-searching so that you can hopefully make the right decisions. 

I've read all the posts you guys sent, yes, NFTs do carry risks, but what doesn't carry risks? Why not give it a try? What if it succeeds?

And by the way, Kickstarter is not the only crowd-funding platform on the planet; there are many others out there as well, so please stop hiding behind the "no Chinese allowed on Kickstarter" excuse.

Of the crowdfunding platforms, I only know of Kickstarter. Can you recommend a few reliable platforms for me to try out? If feasible, I can crowdfund the production and sale of a digital version of Star Keeper.

Moderator · Posted

You suggest all things carry risks, so why aren’t the risks with NFTs acceptable? It’s because, as has been stated here, most of the people interested in your game are here, and most of those have made it clear they have no interest in an NFT. We are literally telling you that we aren’t buying what you’re selling.

An alternative to Kickstarter would be Indiegogo. But I repeat my offer to get your game published through the VGS/Mega Cat Studios partnership. Yes it would require additional work on your part, but that’s the nature of being able to do anything with your source code and it’s custom mapper and moving it something more scalable.

One final point that hasn’t been raised publicly: for all these NFTs, licensing, and the money surrounding it, you need to confirm your identity to us in some meaningful way. 87arts on NintendoAge rarely posted, and disappeared as quickly as he appeared on the site. Your Twitter consists of 13 tweets, all except one were made in the last month or so. You are placing a strong emphasis on options that get you money upfront and give little to the people who pay you. And anyone can make an NFT. I hope you can understand my feeling suspicious. How do we know you are the bonafide developer of Star Keeper?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

You suggest all things carry risks, so why aren’t the risks with NFTs acceptable? It’s because, as has been stated here, most of the people interested in your game are here, and most of those have made it clear they have no interest in an NFT. We are literally telling you that we aren’t buying what you’re selling.

You misunderstood, I didn't intend to sell NFTs to VGS players. I was just sharing my thoughts with everyone. I was hesitant before about whether I should release an explanation of the NFT authorization program on VGS.

I just wanted to talk about my plan, but I didn't expect so many people to misunderstand  NFT projects. So I have to explain it over and over again.

35 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

I hope you can understand my feeling suspicious. How do we know you are the bonafide developer of Star Keeper?

@Scrobins

The only way I can prove my identity is through the official paid email. Many players also contact me through this email. However, I don't know how to link the email to Twitter because although my Twitter account was created in 2014, it was only recently made public, and I never thought I would need to use it before.

29 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

I just wanted to talk about my plan, but I didn't expect so many people to misunderstand  NFT projects. So I have to explain it over and over again.

To be clear, we do not "misunderstand NFT projects."  We feel that using NFT's is not viable or worthwhile with regards to your objective of both (1) getting your Star Keeper IP out into the world, and (2) you making more money off of Star Keeper.

We are disagreeing with you - not misunderstanding you, and they are not at all the same thing!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 3