IGNORED

1st Pokémon?

Nintegageo

13 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Mine was Charmander. I got Red on its release date as an old Nintendo Power issue talking about its popularity in Japan had me so excited.

I got Pokémon red on launch day and of course I chose Charmander. My older brother got blue at the same time and he chose Squirtle.

At some point I gave away all my Gameboy stuff including my original Pokémon red. ☹️Still have the box for it though 😕

I got a Gameboy Camera even before  Pokemon released and played around with the Pokémon images on that before I knew what their names were.

Edited by phart010

Pokemon was never really my thing but I did play Red and Emerald a couple of years ago just to try seeing what the hype was all about. Red was the first Pokemon game I ever booted up and my first pick was Squirtle. It was pretty fun for a while but I never did finish either game.

Edited by Webhead123

I've never played any of them, but I've helped my son play Let's Go Eevee!  I've seen enough to fit to know that if I had been the right game when the original came out (I was just a little too old), I probably would have loved the game.  However, I just don't see myself getting into it now.  I'm not sure which Pokemon my son went with.  I'll have to ask.  

Charmander.

While I am certain I got the game the year it came out, shortly after, it was neither day one or some Christmas gift, and I'm saying this because I saw the anime(cartoon) first in the morning as it debuted I caught the first episode.  In college at the time, hated waking up to the news, so I found the only cartoons on as I had an hour eating/ready to leave for class, so it was that another going out the door.

The cartoon I enjoyed as it was pretty unique and liked the goofy nature of it all along with the elements in play so I grabbed Red, because of the three starters I thought venasaur was lame(and no game) and squirtle just seemed more frail.  I didn't care much for the fact it did not follow the cartoon so closely as I wanted to kick Team Rocket's annoying ass, so when Yellow came out, that's when I upgraded, started over, and finished it.  The only time I ever finished through the end a Pokemon game as they're repetitive up until US/SM and Legends.

My sister in law ended up leaving her childhood copy of Pokemon Blue at my house for my son to play, so when he started playing it, I started playing Pokemon Red on a flash cart so he'd have someone to trade with down the road.  His first Pokemone was squirtle (my wife's favorite), so I ended up picking charmander since I fancied the idea of having a dragon on down the line.  We both need to circle back and pick up our respective games to complete them, but for now, our starters are still hanging out (albeit evolved) on our respective cartridges.

I had red and picked Charmander and my sister got blue and picked Squirtle. Pokemon fever hit our area hard and first gen is the only videogame my sister had ever played growing up and I took full advantage of it, we would trade and use gameshark to get the other starters, rare candies, and mew. I upgraded from the dmg to the gbc and sold my sister the dmg for 25$ so we could both play Pokemon haha. She went hard on collecting the cards too.. ended up tiring out and moving on to something else but we had a great time for sure during red and blue.

13 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm too old for this shit, but if I ever do play a Pokemon game, I'll be sure to post my first catch in this thread... 😛

That was my thought for 20+ years, lol.  Dodged that bullet due to absolute lack of interest back when it came out and my best friend and his girlfriend started going nuts over it, all the way up to the point where my son started playing one of the original games and I gave in and started slogging through the opposite version so he'd have a trade partner.