IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

The weird mix of gross arrogance and incompetence in airvillian is something I wonder is tempered a bit with medication acting like that.  I'd tell you what I think of you but I don't feel like getting another strike today, you're not worth it.

@Link don't bother, he's so high on his own warped sense of reality there's not point in arguing with s....d as that wins.

• Eyeroll 1

I like all the Nintendo Mario games.  I like the main franchise stuff, but I also love the weird one-offs like SMB2 and Super Mario Land for the Gameboy.  I think intelligent systems made that one.  I wish they had done more.  They had their own unique style that was just as interesting as what Miyamoto and his crew were doing.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The weird mix of gross arrogance and incompetence in airvillian is something I wonder is tempered a bit with medication acting like that.  I'd tell you what I think of you but I don't feel like getting another strike today, you're not worth it.

@Link don't bother, he's so high on his own warped sense of reality there's not point in arguing with s....d as that wins.

idk, I think he likes to blow things out of proportion but he’s actually just exaggerating himself to kid around. Haha… jokes. 

39 minutes ago, CMR said:

Super Mario Land

That game is SO GOOD and people don’t even know.

17 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

I mean it's got a big, fat picture of Mario on the box. It clearly says Super Mario Bros. 2 and has Nintendo's logo right on the front. Seems like a legit Mario game to me. Not sure where the confusion is coming from...

Some of these scrubs can't get past Tryclyde, so they have to justify their shortcomings somehow. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 1

I was there when it came out.  Nobody ever complained about it being different.  Same as Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, et al.  Nobody gave two shits as long as the games were fun.  It wasn't until the late 90s when some "edgy" scrubs started blogging about shit that anything was ever mentioned about them being "bad" or "black sheep."  The only game I remember getting outright shit on by anyone was fucking Wayne Gretzky Hockey.  It didn't matter, we played the shit out of damn near everything.  Fuck, I remember renting X-Men multiple times with friends and enjoying it ffs.  So yeah, who gives a shit whether it was originally Mario or not.  It was served as Mario and all the kids fucking ate it up because to us, it WAS Mario.

Sorry, feeling a bit ranty today 😆 

• Agree 8

9 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I mean it's got a big, fat picture of Mario on the box. It clearly says Super Mario Bros. 2 and has Nintendo's logo right on the front. Seems like a legit Mario game to me. Not sure where the confusion is coming from...

Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg

Ackshully, there's a platonic ideal of SMB which it clearly deviates from.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Some of these scrubs can't get past Tryclyde, so they have to justify their shortcomings somehow. 😛

Nahh it's not that, it's that other boss, you know, klaptrap because well some just don't realize there's a cream for it that'll clear it right up, so it's flames are a bad reminder.

• Haha 1

I've always liked Super Mario Bros 2 (U.S.A.) but the only thing that makes it a Mario game is that Nintendo endorsed the hack.

Here's a ton of Mario games. Many of these feel Marioish, some more than others, and some more than Mario 2 does. The only thing that is different is that these weren't authorized by Nintendo or the other company, and furthermore, Nintendo didn't later reuse the enemies for new games. That's just a minor thing though, a license doesn't somehow make a game hack more "Mario" than one without a license.

So on paper Mario 2 is a Mario game, in our childhood memories it's a Mario game, but in reality, it's just a hack like any of the other games in this attached picture.

IMG20231120124015.jpg

• Love 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I've always liked Super Mario Bros 2 (U.S.A.) but the only thing that makes it a Mario game is that Nintendo endorsed the hack.

It's a hack that future entries in the series adopted. Birdos and Shy Guys show up in all sorts of games, Mario Maker 2 has the Mario 2 mushroom, and in the GBA version of SMB3 there are bonus levels where you can pull turnips (accessed with e-Reader cards). I would say SMB2 USA had a bigger impact on the Mario series than SMB2 J (which also added some cool stuff, like bonus worlds and wind). I guess it could be worded that those future Mario games are also Doki Doki Panic games, but I think it is just easier to call them all one thing

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Ankos said:

It's a hack that future entries in the series adopted. Birdos and Shy Guys show up in all sorts of games, Mario Maker 2 has the Mario 2 mushroom, and in the GBA version of SMB3 there are bonus levels where you can pull turnips (accessed with e-Reader cards). I would say SMB2 USA had a bigger impact on the Mario series than SMB2 J (which also added some cool stuff, like bonus worlds and wind). I guess it could be worded that those future Mario games are also Doki Doki Panic games, but I think it is just easier to call them all one thing

Nintendo chose to to this though, which is the benefit of having it be a licensed hack; however, M.C. Kids one could argue is more Mario-like (with Mario hacked in) than Mario 2 is, same with the Adventure Island Mario hacks. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Nintendo chose to to this though, which is the benefit of having it be a licensed hack; however, M.C. Kids one could argue is more Mario-like (with Mario hacked in) than Mario 2 is, same with the Adventure Island Mario hacks. 

Yes, Nintendo chose to follow up Doki Doki Panic with Mario games. Just like how Nintendo chose Super Mario 64 as a direction for the series to go in

Being Mario-like does not make something part of the Mario series. Lots of games were made to play like the original SMB, and many of them play more like it than Super Mario 64. 64 is still the official Mario game, not Great Gianna sisters. Future Mario games having DNA from a game arguably does make it part of the series though. Either that or modern Mario games could be considered followups to the older Mario games and Doki Doki Panic, but still considering the two different things. That's how I see it anyways

image.png.223153874b0035b77b2bb698e74c6048.png

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Here's a ton of Mario games. Many of these feel Marioish, some more than others, and some more than Mario 2 does. The only thing that is different is that these weren't authorized by Nintendo or the other company, and furthermore, Nintendo didn't later reuse the enemies for new games. That's just a minor thing though, a license doesn't somehow make a game hack more "Mario" than one without a license.

So on paper Mario 2 is a Mario game, in our childhood memories it's a Mario game, but in reality, it's just a hack like any of the other games in this attached picture.

Well I'm gonna disagree that SMB2 is the same as those hacks. If Miyamoto were involved in the development of any of those carts, that would be a huge difference. And if Nintendo had endorsed any of these as official Mario games, (the "only thing" different) that would be a big huge enormously massive difference. If I make a game in my basement that has Mario in it, then yeah, I could say "I made a Mario game." To call it no different from SMB2 would be false, no matter how good or Marioish the game is.

A related argument comes up from time to time in the Game Boy community about whether or not the Limited Run re-releases for GB are "licensed" or not.

13 hours ago, Splain said:

Well I'm gonna disagree that SMB2 is the same as those hacks. If Miyamoto were involved in the development of any of those carts, that would be a huge difference. And if Nintendo had endorsed any of these as official Mario games, (the "only thing" different) that would be a big huge enormously massive difference. If I make a game in my basement that has Mario in it, then yeah, I could say "I made a Mario game." To call it no different from SMB2 would be false, no matter how good or Marioish the game is.

A related argument comes up from time to time in the Game Boy community about whether or not the Limited Run re-releases for GB are "licensed" or not.

Are there any licensed Mario game which Shiggy wasn't involved in?

Are there people seriously arguing in here that SMB2 isn’t a real Mario.  That’s some full on flat earth poppycock.  There are some days when I think it might be my favorite nes iteration.  Riding the whales was awesome.  And the space ship.  

SMW is a great game but SMB3 is a meisterwerk.  Every stroke perfect.  And it doesn’t even require a save function.

• Agree 3

On 11/20/2023 at 10:41 PM, fcgamer said:

Are there any licensed Mario game which Shiggy wasn't involved in?

Probably the software toolworks edutainment stuff or the few Mario Teaches Typing games, CDi Hotel Mario.  They licensed out the name, world, likeness, but someone else did all the lifting.