IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

6 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Yeah, there's tons of examples from the film industry. The script for Die Hard 2 was based on a standalone novel called "58 Minutes". One of the earlier Die Hard 2 scripts was rejected and turned into Speed 2 instead.

Same deal with Die Hard 3. It was originally an unrelated screenplay called "Simon Says".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-type said:

Same deal with Die Hard 3. It was originally an unrelated screenplay called "Simon Says".

So like what do you think about this? Does it not belong in DH canon because of this? Or are you neutral on that?

What do you think, @AirVillain? Is Die Hard 3 "not a 'true' sequel"? And honestly, what is the difference between "true" and "real" or "does belong"? 🙄 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Link said:

So like what do you think about this? Does it not belong in DH canon because of this? Or are you neutral on that?

What do you think, @AirVillain? Is Die Hard 3 "not a 'true' sequel"? And honestly, what is the difference between "true" and "real" or "does belong"? 🙄 

I think Die Hard 2 and Die Hard 3 are absolutely true sequels. They contain John McClain doing his superhero cop thing against terrorist/robber dudes. They have all the necessary ingredients and the right spirit... regardless of their provenance... in fact I think they are more legitimate than Live Free, Die Hard (which WAS written as a Die Hard script), yet somehow feels less authentic.

• Like 1

Hmm. I've only seen 2 and 3 once each so I'm not as well-placed to discuss them, but I think the only thing that makes LFoDH out of place is that so much IRL time passed before it that the production, scriptwriting, and film stock were noticeably of a different era. 

Events Team · Posted

nerd-ackchyually.gif

None of the Mario games are actually Mario games.  It all started as a spinoff of Donkey Kong featuring the protagonist (antagonist?) Jumpman who kinda just became Mario.  All subsequent games are just Donkey Kong games including SMB series, Land, World, Kart, RPG, etc.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

@the_wizard_666 I'm just fed up with his troll posts about the game as I am with others online.  This false narrative even when corrected by Japanese members who worked on it still persists and it's beyond tiresome.  SMB2 was never a black sheep game until some group think troll farm decided to make it so.  He has been going on for months now doubling down on it and people seem to keep feeding his need for attention, that's really all it is.  It's annoying it persists, especially in a topic that wasn't even about SMB2 anyway, it's SMW vs SMB3 which has always been more of a hot button issue of people trying to choose which is better and there are good arguments on both sides.  It's cute he thinks I'm worked up, I'm not, I'm just over it and felt it just needs to be called out for what it is, revisionist alt-history.

• Eyeroll 1

On 11/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyway, to the topic at hand, maybe we're looking at this the wrong way.  SMB2 ended with the "it was all a dream" trope.  As such, can we all agree that, had there been any more of a series to that point, the game would fit as a side story rather than a normal part of a series.  Kind of like all the Wizardry games in Japan that are similar enough to keep the title, but different enough to not actually get a number?  I dunno, it's just a thought.

Wasn't SMB3 just a stage play?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

nerd-ackchyually.gif

None of the Mario games are actually Mario games.  It all started as a spinoff of Donkey Kong featuring the protagonist (antagonist?) Jumpman who kinda just became Mario.  All subsequent games are just Donkey Kong games including SMB series, Land, World, Kart, RPG, etc.  

Yeah, this is what I'm going with from now on.

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, the thought is that SMB 1 was what really happened, SMB 2 was Mario's dream one night, and SMB 3 was Mario telling the story of SMB 1 (and embellishing the ever loving fuck out of it, apparently. 😛

This is actually a cool perspective! I loved the stage elements in SMB3, but never thought about how it could be Mario just retelling how the first game's adventure went!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Funny. That’s how I feel about the “smb2 is a real Mario game” idea.

it seems obvious to me and that camp is trying to blur the lines 

Yes, Skinny, you caught us. Miyamoto, his team, the Nintendo top brass, Nintendo of America, almost all of VGS, and 99% of gamers out there are trying to gaslight you, AirVillain, and five other guys into thinking SMB 2 USA is a real Mario game.

We're also all lizard people from Vega 4 and are about to complete our conquest of your puny planet. Report to the nearest human meat processing center tomorrow. It's the building you call a "GameStop."

😛

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Yes, Skinny, you caught us. Miyamoto, his team, the Nintendo top brass, Nintendo of America, almost all of VGS, and 99% of gamers out there are trying to gaslight you, AirVillain, and five other guys into thinking SMB 2 USA is a real Mario game.

We're also all lizard people from Vega 4 and are about to complete our conquest of your puny planet. Report to the nearest human meat processing center tomorrow. It's the building you call a "GameStop."

😛

Miyamoto and his whole team can kick rocks with that “ya, I mean, funny story, that was always gonna be smb2 actually.”

kiss my grits. I see with my eyes. I know what it is. All the fanboys, nostalgia blind  and can’t admit their favorite “Mario game” is a fraud, gonna hang off nintendo balls and lick um. Gtfoh. 

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, the thought is that SMB 1 was what really happened, SMB 2 was Mario's dream one night, and SMB 3 was Mario telling the story of SMB 1 (and embellishing the ever loving fuck out of it, apparently. 😛

SMB1 was what happened when a fat Italian plumber ate too many shrooms.

• Love 1

Apparently there is a really heated discussion going on here. I just wanted to give my two cents in favor of SMW since it seems like the less popular choice. Of course, I loved SMB3 back in the day as part of my Super Mario All-Stars Collection on the SNES and it's justifiably regarded as one of the best NES or 8bit games in general. So no doubt about that. But back in the day I played it sooo much, that I don't really feel like revisiting it. SMW, however, is a game that I can play through and enjoy anytime and that I still go back to regularly.

It's difficult to really explain why. I think the lower difficulty is definitely a contributing factor as I enjoy having a more chill and relaxed time when playing it. On top of that it's the music, the funny sounds when jumping on enemies or kicking shells and of course the nice colorful graphics. The character designs are also really nice and cute. Yoshi is absolutely adorable as are most of the other characters as well, e.g. I just love the smiling dolphins or the big moles with their sunglasses, the different types of fish, sometimes dozing off etc. It just has so many wonderful characters aside from just the usual suspects. Or the little animations you get everytime you beat a castle with some funny sketch. The game just oozes playfulness and charme and cuteness with its every pore. It's all these little touches that Nintendo adds to their games that separate them from most other games out there.

I could go and on, like how about the levels in SMW are so intricately designed with different paths and secret exits and whatnot. But at the end of the day it just comes down to how often I play these games and how much fun I am having. And in this regard SMW comes out on top for me personally. It's obviously just my personal opinion. I'm also not a professional game critic, so don't take it too seriously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:46 PM, JamesRobot said:

nerd-ackchyually.gif

3f2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:38 AM, G-type said:

I think Die Hard 2 and Die Hard 3 are absolutely true sequels. They contain John McClain doing his superhero cop thing against terrorist/robber dudes. They have all the necessary ingredients and the right spirit... regardless of their provenance... in fact I think they are more legitimate than Live Free, Die Hard (which WAS written as a Die Hard script), yet somehow feels less authentic.

I cant tell you how disappointed I was when Live Free or Die Hard had nothing to do with NH.

• Haha 2