IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

4 minutes ago, PekoponTAS said:

Well, at least we can all agree on one thing in this thread. That the Super Mario World cartoon is better than the Mario 3 cartoon. 🙂

Ah yes, the shortest and worst of the three American Mario cartoons. The one where they basically made Yoshi the hero instead of a sidekick like in the games.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Like I said, we can agree to disagree on the particulars.

Its the "they're trolling us 30 years later" that's the out there in the weeds with the Illuminati and fluorine mind control water theories.

Sorry, that part about agreeing to disagree wasn't in the original post I read I don't think. 

I get what you're saying now.... Still looking into how deep the conspiracy runs. 🤣

2 hours ago, Link said:

It's 18 pages because every time it drops off the front index, AirVillain bumps it 3-5 weeks later.

Correct. That was not supposed to be a hypothetical scenario.

Sometimes I go a few weeks without logging in, other times I'm here all day long... 🤷‍♂️   next time I log in I'll make a new thread. Oh wait, that doesn't make any sense. This is an ongoing conversation.

The music analogy would be more like I said.... a different band playing Aerosmith songs would NOT be an Aerosmith album.

I guess the MOST correct analogy would be a new band member coming in to Aerosmith (Tanabe) with his own material and getting Aerosmith to play all his songs. The songs are his, but it's Aerosmith playing them. Is THAT an Aerosmith Album??

To someone who is an Aerosmith die hard fan having a conversation on an internet forum, I could understand how they would say "If it wasn't written by Steven Tyler and the awesome Guitarist Joey Guitar Guy, then it's not a REAL Aerosmith album."

Now OF COURSE it's a real Aerosmith album, but nerdy music dorks can still have the conversation and make the distinction on a level deeper than simply the context of an album being released by a band. 

2 hours ago, Link said:

I guess so, but SMB1 wasn't a Mario game from day one either. So what is that?

And making the sequel very different was Nintendo's standard practice at the time. 

Who's to say that Mario 3 would have had carrying objects - a key gameplay mechanic - if Mario 2 had not brought that to the franchise? You? And what about the doors?

You are welcome to your opinion. I'd just be wary when the only one in agreement is somebody who's clearly off the deep end 😂 

You present valid points. Picking things up, was a bit different in 2-3, though... because it was somewhat of a natural progression from jumping on them and "kicking" them in SMB1. 

Would they have programmed it into 3 without it without 2? Very good question 🤔

2 hours ago, Link said:

I haven't gotten to watch that. I will after I get home tonight - what page is it on? 

Been linked for you, Link. 😉

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Link this is the video that you want to watch on smb2. The other one was comedy. This guy takes his history pretty serious.

Well, thanks for wasting half an hour+ of my time watching that other one and writing notes about what fucking dumbass bullshit it was. This is why I fucking hate youtubers. 

I could have sworn @AirVillain mentioned The Irate Gamer somewhere ITT. Was that actually you? 

I can't watch this other video now, I need to be at work in a few hours. Maybe I can get to it later. 

6 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Been linked for you, Link. 😉

APPARENTLY FUCKING NOT but if you want my thoughts on that one I still have them, and they are savage.

Oh, you mean linked on this page. Well, I will watch that later. Are you willing to read the David Sheff book though? Due to your "from day 1" argument, I really think it would provide perspective you are lacking about how Nintendo operated. 

Sometimes I go a few weeks without logging in, other times I'm here all day long... 🤷‍♂️   next time I log in I'll make a new thread. Oh wait, that doesn't make any sense. This is an ongoing conversation.

It wasn't a complaint, it was an explanation. I think that if you did log in every day, and not lite-necrobump, that these discussions would peter out and not reach the postcount that they do. Whatever, it's all entertaining interaction. 

The music analogy would be more like I said.... a different band playing Aerosmith songs would NOT be an Aerosmith album.

Well, I went at it from the opposite... Aerosmith (or WHOEVER) playing other songs. You've said it vice versa. No, of course Band A playing Band B songs is not a Band B album. 

I do consider Skeletons In The Closet by Children of Bodom a valid COB album, even though it's all cover songs. But let's take out the particulars so nobody can derail "I don't like that band" 🙄 and make it a hypothetical question after all. Say XYZ band does an album that's outside of their typical genre, is it not a "real" XYZ album? 

I guess the MOST correct analogy would be a new band member coming in to Aerosmith (Tanabe) with his own material and getting Aerosmith to play all his songs. The songs are his, but it's Aerosmith playing them. Is THAT an Aerosmith Album??

Actually, 100% yes. When a band brings in a new member, and that person brings a new influence, of course it is still that band. If the band does not change the name of the project with a different lineup, then it is still the same project. If you disagree with that then you need to define an extremely arbitrary line. Let the fucking creator do what they fucking want. Disagreeing with their presentation is pretty disrespectful to the artist or company or whatever entity it is that we claim to be fans of. 

Now OF COURSE it's a real Aerosmith album, but nerdy music dorks can still have the conversation and make the distinction on a level deeper than simply the context of an album being released by a band. 

Thank you, so yes we as fans can talk about our preferences and personal rankings. And get into the minutiae. Obviously with 50 years of Aerosmith I don't like all of their output. A lot of it fuckin sucks. Just as I don't like every Mario game. And nobody HAS to LIKE SMB2u. But to say the second game of a series as presented to a major audience is "not real" is just straight up myopic, disrespectful, and ignorant. imho.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

But to say the second game of a series as presented to a major audience is "not real" is just straight up myopic, disrespectful, and ignorant. imho.

I think you're taking this a little too seriously.

I, along with others, seem to be able to differentiate these things in a jovial way, which is what we're doing. 

If this is too much to handle for you, then please excuse yourself. 

Me and skinny (others also) think it's fun to say "Mario 2 is fake" and it "doesn't belong" while people like Tulpa thinks it's funny to say we're batshit crazy. No one gets worked up... it's all good. We explain ourselves and think it's fun to discuss the game in question on a completely irrelevant/bat-shit crazy level.

We understand that we can have different definitions of the same game and still love/hate different aspects of it. 

(Notes: Skinny mentioned Irate Gamer and he linked you on the Gaming Historian video.... so the link was there)

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Where a few mouthy individual want to perpetually delude reality in a currently played game of semantics and half truths to stir the pot for attention. 🙂

Is this referring to me? 😳

I think we need to define what we're talking about, so yes of course we need to talk semantics. For attention?? 😐 .... nope.... just shooting the shit online. 🤷‍♂️

And it's relevant because SMB 3 vs. SMW specifically didn't include SMB2. Thus, it comes up in conversation but it's all along the same lines of WHY I was comparing SMB3 vs SMW. 

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Geez, the thread that wouldn't die...

Oh well, I guess "(19 pages) is not great if you compare it to What are you currently playing?..."

rdrunner gets it!! Excellent use of the title.   😅

As for the thread:

It's all relevant because if SMB2 should be included, it could very well have been included in the original conversation. SMB2 vs. SMB3 vs. SMW..... but that's not my style. So really, anyone arguing that SMB2 SHOULD be included is actually derailing the thread. 😋

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'll put it this way, buckshot at long range, looking to pepper a few targets.

I would have put the brakes on this childish bit of sad attempts at historical revisionism pages ago and put this back on the topic it should not have strayed away from.  Perhaps this area needs another sub-section for fictional writing.

Okay, I'll bite. 

Who is doing this??? No one is trying to re-write history, haha. Skinny and I feel as though SMB2 USA is "not a true Mario game" based on the fact that IT WAS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME FIRST AND MARIO CHARACTERS WERE INSERTED LATER (common knowledge?). 

This is evidenced in the fact that SMB2 USA plays COMPLETELY different than SMB or SMB3. 

Can you understand THAT aspect of it? Have you played the games? Can you tell they're different in terms of gameplay? 

There may be a deeper "conspiracy" of Nintendo execs who have much later said that SMB2 had Mario Origins, but we are still waiting on those facts. Waiting for references and interviews. (I'm not sure where that came from)

@docile tapeworm Why is this so crazy for people to understand? SMB2 was literally NOT a Mario game to begin with. It's not super complicated. 

Edited by AirVillain

I would have put the brakes on this childish bit of sad attempts at historical revisionism pages ago and put this back on the topic it should not have strayed away from.  Perhaps this area needs another sub-section for fictional writing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What’s the argument for super Mario USA not being a fake Mario game?

I was trying to reason with myself and this is what I got. “ok so nintendo developed a game called doki doki panic. Then nintendo took that game switched some sprites around and released it in America as “super Mario bros. 2”. It’s not a fake Mario game though because Nintendo developed doki doki panic and that means anything developed by nintendo can be turned into a Mario game at any time nintendo decides to promote it as such.”.

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

These two statements got me good though 😂🤣 good digs sir 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@AirVillain I’m asking myself the same thing. how is it so hard to grasp it’s not a real Mario game. It’s literally doki doki panic. Nothing to do with Mario at all. They must me messing with us 😂

Hahaha, the entirety of VGS is just trolling the shit out of us. But @Bearcat-Doug is on our side too..... right.... right?  🤣

I mean... the game's been out for like 30 years, we can break it down further than just "Says Mario on the box".

As I said before, "Mario Games" is so broad that we have to break them down somehow. We wouldn't include Mario Golf or Mario Tennis here now would we? 

No. So, thus begins the conversation begins on what games DO we include? Personally.... in terms of the context of the original thread, it's the "Bros" line-up.... 

SMB, SMB3, SMW, New ones can be included too.... Notably, SMB2 USA is missing. (Reasons stated above 🙈)

So yeah.... I believe that's the context and semantics, that me and Skinny are promoting. Please correct me if I'm wrong Skinny.

Edited by AirVillain

OMG!!! 

HOT NEW INTEL!!! 🥵

Apparently the Nintendo Entertainment System is a FAKE!!! 😮

There was totally this Nintendo system in Japan released two years before the NES called the Famicom, and it was TOTALLY sprite swapped and rebranded and re-released in the USA as the FAKE BULLSHIT NES!!! 

Your whole childhood was a lie, because you all thought you were playing an NES but the whole time Nintendo were laughing at you and wanking watching you play a FAKE FAMICOM!!! 😂😂😂

There's no such thing as an NES, because one thing cannot be a thing that was based on one thing but is now something different from that thing!!! Your whole life is now invalid.

Topic over.

Explode Nuclear Bomb GIF by Star Wars

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@OptOut I’ll agree to that. Fake nes = fake smb2.

World peace achieved. In the hallowed words of the great warlord George Bush Jr:

"American children are too shit at video games to play Japanese Super Mario Bros 2, but also it wasn't that good anyway, so probably it was for the best we got Doki Doki Panic instead, and you're either with us or you're against us, and Mission Accomplished TM."

george w bush door GIF

He was a wise man. 😌

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Man, this thread is like visiting an asylum. You got Skinny over here in a straightjacket babbling to himself, and Airvillain drawing a manifesto on the wall that he claims will change the world.

Delusional's who think fake things are real and that they are just “visiting”.