IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Man, this thread is like visiting an asylum. You got Skinny over here in a straightjacket babbling to himself, and Airvillain drawing a manifesto on the wall that he claims will change the world.

Haha, I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. Manifesto, though? That might take some work...

I mean.... we all played SMB2 as kids. It just was... different.

I guess you're just not as in tune to the intricacies of video games as me and Skinny. I'm sorry for your loss. 

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Delusional's who think fake things are real and that they are just “visiting”. 

YOU. NEVER. LEAVE. 

Just a thought, but perhaps it's not all of VGS that's trolling AirVillian and the worm?  Nah that couldn't be it 😉

Optout is right, it's all damned conspiracy.  We need to get out the pitchforks, torches, and a lot of fuel and head up north to Redmond, Nintendo needs to answer for that shit, lying to us for nearly  40 years because there is no NES, that's a lie it's the Famicom, we got served up a fake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Hahaha, the entirety of VGS is just trolling the shit out of us. But @Bearcat-Doug is on our side too..... right.... right?  🤣

I mean... the game's been out for like 30 years, we can break it down further than just "Says Mario on the box".

As I said before, "Mario Games" is so broad that we have to break them down somehow. We wouldn't include Mario Golf or Mario Tennis here now would we? 

No. So, thus begins the conversation begins on what games DO we include? Personally.... in terms of the context of the original thread, it's the "Bros" line-up.... 

SMB, SMB3, SMW, New ones can be included too.... Notably, SMB2 USA is missing. (Reasons stated above 🙈)

So yeah.... I believe that's the context and semantics, that me and Skinny are promoting. Please correct me if I'm wrong Skinny.

SMB 2 USA is the Contra Force of the Mario series. They both started out as completely unrelated games and were reworked to take advantage of existing popular franchises. I'm sure @docile tapeworm would agree.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

On 12/14/2022 at 12:15 AM, AirVillain said:

I think you're taking this a little too seriously.

I, along with others, seem to be able to differentiate these things in a jovial way, which is what we're doing. 

If this is too much to handle for you, then please excuse yourself. 

Me and skinny (others also) think it's fun to say "Mario 2 is fake" and it "doesn't belong" while people like Tulpa thinks it's funny to say we're batshit crazy. No one gets worked up... it's all good. We explain ourselves and think it's fun to discuss the game in question on a completely irrelevant/bat-shit crazy level.

We understand that we can have different definitions of the same game and still love/hate different aspects of it. 

(Notes: Skinny mentioned Irate Gamer and he linked you on the Gaming Historian video.... so the link was there)

Actually I'd say you're taking me too seriously. Please excuse myself? Worked up? Really? 🙄 

I promise you, I am not looking to fistfight in the street. 

That's just uncivilized. Let's go at it in the ring! What's your address? 
(I AM JOKING!!!)

I watched the GH video. You really can find points in support of either side of this argument in it if you want to. I remain unswayed towards your opinion.

Didn't you point at SMBUSA being one-player only as a strike against it? But SMB2j is also one-player only. Surely, that is a real Mario game in your book?

And you said Miyamoto said "make it more Mario-like" what I saw in the video was he thought Doki! Doki! Panic was too Mario-like, and Famitsu called it "a slight remix of Super Mario." And Miyamoto "approached the development as if it were a full-fledged new Mario."

Doki Doki Panic was not originally released as a Mario game. I never said it was or denied its existence. But Nintendo did turn it into a Mario game. There's simply not anything fake about that. 

Edited by Link
not sure what i meant by that
  • Agree 3

On 12/15/2022 at 7:07 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

SMB 2 USA is the Contra Force of the Mario series. They both started out as completely unrelated games and were reworked to take advantage of existing popular franchises. I'm sure @docile tapeworm would agree.

Excellent example and very well said.  Me and Skinny were sleeping on Contra Force.

Fuck.... Contra Force. Don't even get me started. 🤣

On 12/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, Tulpa said:

That sounds like something a crazy person would say. 😛

Haha, well when you put it that way.... 🤔

On 12/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, CasualCart said:

Poor Master Higgins...

If rebranding a game makes it fake, then the entire Adventure Island series was invalidated at its inception...

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.d4efff5d553985341a27085afbf515da.jpeg

Hahaha, awesome example. Great discussion! This actually deserves it's own thread. One that I will likely want to create in the future. Here's the TL;DR...

Local video store had "Wonder Boy" cab in the back when I was a child. I had an NES so I always thought "Adventure Island" was the SAME GAME. As an adult I learn that's false. I just bought a Sega Master System and played Wonder Boy. The music and graphics brought me back to being a child in the back corner of the dark video rental store playing that EXACT game, not some Adventure Island rip-off bullshit. 

Thus. Adventure Island IS A FAKE GAME. 

22 hours ago, Link said:

Actually I'd say you're taking me too seriously. Please excuse myself? Worked up? Really? 🙄  Just joshin' you, I did think you were getting a bit riled up, though. 🙈

I promise you, I am not looking to fistfight in the street. 

That's just uncivilized. Let's go at it in the ring! What's your address? 
(I AM JOKING!!!) Understood, thank you. (not sarcasm)

I watched the GH video. You really can find points in support of either side of this argument in it if you want to. I remain unswayed towards your opinion. Genuine question: What are BOTH sides of this argument?

Didn't you point at SMBUSA being one-player only as a strike against it? But SMB2j is also one-player only. Surely, that is a real Mario game in your book? No. I'm not sure where that point came from.

And you said Miyamoto said "make it more Mario-like" what I saw in the video was he thought Doki! Doki! Panic was too Mario-like, and Famitsu called it "a slight remix of Super Mario." And Miyamoto "approached the development as if it were a full-fledged new Mario." That's not what I took away from it. Every reference I saw said to make the game "More Mario like" to make it better and more fun/more "athletic". I'll re-watch.

Doki Doki Panic was not originally released as a Mario game. I never said it was or denied its existence. But Nintendo did turn it into a Mario game. There's simply not anything fake about that. I 100% understand your point and in basic, general, layman's terms I agree.

However, I'm trying to say that, from a gaming standpoint, there's an argument that can be made that SMB2 USA is "different" enough to compare it on a different level from SMB1, SMB3, and SMW. (Which, obviously, stems from the fact that it was designed as a different game first).

Not trying to be a dick with the red, I just thought I could actually answer each point more directly. 

The final one in bold is the one I'd like to point out the most. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 1:52 PM, Quaze said:

I'm definitely team SMW. I love SMB3 but I feel like SMW just ups the ante. Also I can't believe you knocked SMWs music, that's just.....no dude, no.

Well hello Quaze.... I see you recently dropped your semi-annual Virtual Boy (aka Check out this hot model/my "partner") collection picture and have now come in to personally attack me. I see how it is. 

Let's take a look at the facts. You're right. SMW does "up the ante" in a lot of ways, and "updating" the music was certainly something they attempted. 

Here's what I said about the music....

"The music isn't nearly as good. Right off the jump, it doesn't hit nearly as good as the SMB3. There are some good tunes in there, but the soundtrack in SMW just seems a bit repetitive. I also found the change in music kind of annoying when you jump on Yoshi. That music, for extended periods of time, isn't good."

I stand by what I said and I'll add this:

Keeping the opening silent is a decision that should go down as one of the greatest decisions in storytelling/anticipation building in video game history. Keeping the menu screen with the simple sound when you change the player options is fucking EPIC.... Everything's silent and you're just sitting there getting hyped for what's about to happen.

When you hit start and you get the coin sound leading into the World 1 music it's the greatest musical introduction in video gaming in history. Quote me. 

Then, the overworld music itself is timeless. When comparing it to SMW, I find SMW boring because it's the same music EVERYWHERE (Except the caves, Forest of Illusion, and Bowsers World?..... Either way, it gets boring. 

Then, as I said, when you jump onto Yoshi and you get that extra beat thrown in there it's just too repetitive. 

Repetitive and somewhat annoying. I only use Yoshi when I NEED him for something just because of his stupid music. 

There are some things I like about the music in SMW. Obviously, with the SNES musical capabilities, the sound is more rich and places like Star Road and Bowsers Castle, with the thunder and lightning, sound amazing. So there's that.... But that's mostly because of the upgraded system I think.

But that alone is not enough to overtake the timeless and hard hitting music from SMB3. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Well hello Quaze.... I see you recently dropped your semi-annual Virtual Boy (aka Check out this hot model/my "partner") collection picture and have now come in to personally attack me. I see how it is. 

Solid lol, AirVillain. One of my first real-life laughs on the internet in 2023, well done I must admit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Keeping the opening silent is a decision that should go down as one of the greatest decisions in storytelling/anticipation building in video game history. Keeping the menu screen with the simple sound when you change the player options is fucking EPIC.... Everything's silent and you're just sitting there getting hyped for what's about to happen.

When you hit start and you get the coin sound leading into the World 1 music it's the greatest musical introduction in video gaming in history. Quote me. 

Just did quote you, totally agree on this analysis 

Editorials Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

No surprise. Much of this community is "team SNES."

??

We're derived from NA, an NES haven.  Look how popular the NES contest and "beat every NES game" threads are.

Plus, it's all one team.  We all like Nintendo/video games.

• Like 1

When I visit VGS, nine times out of ten the topics under "Latest Posts" are about the SNES. And I've already mentioned that the SNES's entries in just about every series are the favorites. I've seen the polls and debate topics.

Edit: 

image.thumb.jpeg.0a49cd596e1f086157d28100cfbafce0.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b448778b0617070300445c46c3a1b7f.jpeg

image.jpeg.08c82e79195236cf2ddef18b1f448875.jpeg

image.jpeg.9c3952fe1ffb75ab7224611e6c8d1eed.jpeg

image.jpeg.315a6c565554ee61e2361b6d334e09cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.a9f2ed3106c7a5c56c55d44b27f14e57.jpeg

image.jpeg.873fb1a314d65614ebf91da9aebbee75.jpeg

Guess I was right.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, MegaMan52 said:

No surprise. Much of this community is "team SNES."

Uhh….we’re talking about one guy, preferring one game over one other game in one very specific instance. My post is not indicative of the feelings of others on the site, or of the site as a whole. And even if it were, that would be fine. Lol

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, MegaMan52 said:

When I visit VGS, nine times out of ten the topics under "Latest Posts" are about the SNES. And I've already mentioned that the SNES's entries in just about every series are the favorites. I've seen the polls and debate topics.

Screenshot_20230109-164010.png

• Eyeroll 1