IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

That team SNES thing was equally stupid and uncalled for.  I don't think I've ever seen it have some dominating presence outside of a fresh singular topic about some big game, big event, something homebrew, some retrobit or whoever shovelware release for the "fans" or something of the sort.  Honestly I've seen more SNES traction over at AtariAge which at least old crew/staff wise is fairly uncaring if not unsupportive of Nintendo in general probably due to old sour grapes since Atari got its ass handed to it repeatedly.

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, no. I never interacted with you once on NintendoAge.

But perception and all.

Sure, whatever you say. I know that you're always saying negative things to me whenever you decide to talk to me (like in the Covid topic). So yeah, you basically are biased against me.

Okay okay.... people. MegaMan52.... what are we doing here? 

Who gives a shit if someone is "team SNES"? ... kinda weird to get crusty at the entire forum because there's people that LOVE one system over the other.... 🤔

I mean, isn't that the whole point? We love video games that have been out for 30+ years so much that we can have ultra high level detailed conversations about them and pick them apart and enjoy one "more" than the other. 

If someone is team SNES, or even team SMW, then by gawd let them be that!

I'm not sure anyone is biased towards anyone else here MegaMan52.... I mean... we're all just dorks on the internet talking about old-ass video games. Try to take things less personally, I think it will help you in the long run. 

Yeah it's bumping numbers for the thread, but I think that right there is the first legitimately irrelevant derail..... ANYWAYS..... let's see if we can get this shit back on track.... 

7 hours ago, Quaze said:

Solid lol, AirVillain. One of my first real-life laughs on the internet in 2023, well done I must admit.

Hahaha, I figured you would understand and "take the joke". Only 9 days in but I'll take it! 

I mean.... I get it about the music, it's very well done.... but how do you feel about the Yoshi bit.....? It's too repetitive for me. I just want to ditch Yoshi in a hole after 30s....  Think about it next time you play. THINK ABOUT IT THE WHOLE TIME. Then report back. 😆

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Just did quote you, totally agree on this analysis 

It's something that probably gets criminally undervalued.

Hell, this is the first it's been mentioned in this thread.... I think?

When you really break it down and think about it.... it's fucking GENIUS. Does anyone who loves SMW have any sort of musical rebuttal to this? 

NOTHING compares to it.... nnnnnoooooooooothing.

What other opening scene does NOT have music? To make the player wait.... and then get absolutely SLAPPED in the face with that incredible opening immediately when you press start. Literally as if you are pressing play on a CD.... the game and music hit hard at the same time. 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I've just noticed now that avatar put up a post about owls being awesome and am now intrigued enough to seek the thread out.

Owls...  Rearrange the letters and it spells 'slow.'  Like the SNES' processor.  More SNES content! I'm onto you! 

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PekoponTAS said:

I like the original Sonic the Hedgehog more than Mario 3 or Mario World. 🙂

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You're saying having a mute title screen ala every other arcade game's attract mode is some sort of stroke of "storytelling" genius?

Seems like a stretch 😛

Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying. (Sorry... I didn't read the entire comment.... I guess if they ripped it off it may not be genius.... but it works 🤣 ... left comments to uphold reasoning for liking the "non music" opening)

Reasoning includes..... The understated decision to hold off on playing any music allows for a HUGE DIFFERENCE. When the player hits "start", EVERYTHING starts. You are literally in control of the entire game. 

Like I said, it's like hitting play on a CD player, or hitting play on a VCR (at the time, haha). YOU are in control.

That's why I think it adds to the storytelling, because it immerses the player into the game by giving you the feeling of being in control of all the aspects of the game. 

Maybe a stretch 😝 But still.... think about it next time you play. The silence/anticipation at the start if you just sit there is incredible. Then... when you hit start you really hit it. 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1