IGNORED

What's your 2nd choice were you to collect a set?

Since I don't really like frittering money on a lot of filler, honestly, I just don't have one.  Virtual Boy was one I put all the effort into and it has 14 (US) games so it was manageable and not an utter nightmare.  I can't think of another, at least that I have even a moderate level of interest in.

I almost want to say R-Zone, but I'm on the edge of letting it go up for sale/trade because I can't source the games locally, and the toxic stupid sort have kind of flocked to it on ebay now so even the garbage is getting like $20+ and the good stuff is at least $50 with the rare stuff(good or crap) over, maybe well over $100 for a loose cart.  For what's essentially a ghetto VB red machine tapping the awesome power of a tiger segmented LCD handheld I can't justify it.

Back when I got back into it just a bit too late I was trying the NES in 2009/10-2012 but when the shit hit the fan a decade ago I was around 350 carts and prices skyrocketed there(and on TG) so I shifted gears initially hoping SNES wouldn't get wrecked but it was within 6-12mo too.  At that rate it was riding damage control keeping ahead of the fomo orgy and any concept of sets I'd appreciate went up in flames.  Even something as moderately small (300) as the N64 was not one I could stomach.

I've already completed my first set, well two N64 sets actually, PAL and Japanese, plus the US exclusives. That was always my number one goal, and I probably won't complete any other sets.

I AM actively collecting for Japanese Mega Drive at the moment tho, so if I COULD complete that set that would be my number two choice, but I doubt I will seeing as it's so expensive.

Sealed Japanese Dreamcast would also be an epic set to go for, but again, unrealistic. Worldwide OG XBOX and/or Xbox 360 would be awesome too, but unnecessary and excessive, given how many games are in those libraries.

NES would be in the double digits in terms of priority for me, WAY down the list.

i think it would be the coolest (for me personally) to own the complete NES set, but i'm not interested in actually doing that. my collection is curated to around 200 carts and i'm not actively searching for more.

i do have complete sets for VB and 32x, just for weirdness. if i had to do another, it would likely be n64 due to size (but i really like having 64 carts for my n64, so i'm not looking to complete that, either).

Graphics Team · Posted

The only consoles where I'd be interested in collecting a "full set" would be something limited and super niche, like the Bally Astrocade or Bandai Wonderswan or something. Unfortunately, those games are equally difficult to find and laughably expensive these days.

My main collections (2600 and NES) are super curated like @twiztor said - which is the way I like it for bloated libraries like those.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Not being interested in full sets at all it would probably be the Sega CD -  I have 1/2 of the US library already - I have most of the heavy hitters (including the 7 variants of Lunar Silver Star) so it would be doable.

After that it would be the Jaguar and Jaguar CD libraries - I bought a used console back when in the thrift store for $15 with a bunch of games in both formats - not really sure how many but they were both small libraries so again it would be doable.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

The only consoles where I'd be interested in collecting a "full set" would be something limited and super niche, like the Bally Astrocade or Bandai Wonderswan or something. Unfortunately, those games are equally difficult to find and laughably expensive these days.

My main collections (2600 and NES) are super curated like @twiztor said - which is the way I like it for bloated libraries like those.

-CasualCart

I remember a time when Wonderswan stuff was in the price range of "maybe I'll pick up this Final Fantasy collectors edition set sealed sometime just for shits". I've not checked the prices in a long time and now I'm a little scared to.