IGNORED

What's your 2nd choice were you to collect a set?

I more or less completed a Famicom full set a few years ago, with there being only one or two variants and a couple "disputable" titles that I am missing; for the latter, I'd definitely be interested in grabbing them at some point, should they appear for a decent price, but I honestly see them as being akin to having a NES full set (yes, with Stadium Events) but not having a Game Genie.

There are a few sets where I am close to having a full set (Super A'can, Game King, In2It), where I'm missing just a couple items and likely never will have a full set due to the scarcity of said items. And honestly I am more than comfortable with that, haha.

Gamate - If I were to choose a second full set, this would probably be the one. I love the artwork on the boxes, and the games look like they would be sort of fun to play, if anyone ever made an updated machine to run them on. I am sitting at about 40% or maybe half of the set, I'd guess.

Sega Mega Drive (J) - If I didn't choose the Gamate*, my other choice for second would be Sega Mega Drive. I'm like @OptOut that realistically I will likely never achieve this, though I do have a decent amount of titles, and the set is small enough that I could achieve a good chunk of the set reasonably.

Now a rundown of some other sets, and my thoughts:

Sega Mark III - Definitely wouldn't mind a full set here, I reckon I have about 1/5 of the set. Hard to find locally, but seems more or less obtainable*.

Wonderswan / Wonderswan Color - I pick these up from time to time if I find them for cheap, again like the Mark III, sets seem more or less obtainable. I think it looks like a fun set as it is a bit more obscure, though similarly, the original monochrome machines seem terrible to play on.

Super Famicom - No way I'd ever go for a full set here, I really don't enjoy the machine very much, and its library is bloated at something ridiculous like 1500+ games. I view it as the Wii of the 90s. If I find titles cheap at junk shops CIB or whatever, I'll pick them up if they look interesting, but this is a set that needs to be heavily curated I think.

PlayStation - I feel similar to the PlayStation as I do the Super Famicom, though if I had to choose, I'd rather go for a PlayStation full set; there seems to be a lot of fun and interesting looking titles for this machine, with many of them being quite cheap, though I'd literally need a new home just to house a full set I think.

N64 - Definitely another set that I would like to complete at some point. It's not a huge priority for me, as I can just visit my buddy and play / see his set if I want, but I occasionally grab titles for this set.

Dreamcast - Another smallish library, wouldn't mind having a full set some day, and feel its more or less obtainable.

Game Gear - Another smallish library, wouldn't mind having a full set some day, and feel its more or less obtainable.

Game Boy / Game Boy Color - I started a full set of bootleg cartridges, preferably boxed. It's a lot more fun, as the set is a weird mix of USA and Japanese releases. Not really obtainable, as it's hard to even know what does and doesn't exist, but it's fun. No desire for the actual Japanese sets though, as the libraries are large and I just have other priorities.

Game Boy Advance - I basically see this as SFC, no thanks in every way possible.

PlayStation 2 - I am going for a set of Asian versions. Not likely to complete it, as I am not sure if anyone actually made a full list of what exists. I imagine just like SFC and the original PS, the library is going to be so bloated though, that it just isn't a desirable set to go for.

Asian XBox - More or less obtainable, and it's a set that I am actively going for.

Asian Xbox 360 - Less desirable than the above set imo, likely more or less obtainable but with a shit ton more crap, ehh releases.

PC Engine - Not really obtainable, not really chasing it.

Gamecube - Another smallish set that looks appealing to me.

Wii - Only interested in the Taiwanese set of these, which is quite small.

Nintendo DS - Not really interested

Nintendo 3DS - Only interested in the Taiwanese set of these, which is quite small. Likely obtainable, though overpriced and not easy to find many of the titles.

Watara Supervision - Would love to have a loose set of these, but there's a lot of extremely rare / obscure titles, and prices always seem to a bit much for what it is.

NES - No thanks, ick. No idea why anyone would want this full set, take part of the Famicom library, and then add in a ton of shitty exclusives, as well as high prices. Ugh.

*more or less obtainable to me equals the majority of the set can be had for reasonable prices, maybe I wouldn't obtain an actual full set due to some pricy titles, but could get about 80 - 90% reasonably, and would feel more than satisfied remaining at that.

• Like 1

PSX.  A lot of revolutionary stuff happened there and it was awesome.  There’s a lot of fun in collecting variety to be had there too.  Black label, greatests hits, boxed sets, lightspan, long box, not to mention have you guys seen that Japanese square millennium collection stuff?

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Square_Millennium_Collection

I gave up on dreaming of the PS1 full set years ago though.

Although, I almost exclusively collect NES now with the occasional long box thrown in.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I more or less completed a Famicom full set a few years ago, with there being only one or two variants and a couple "disputable" titles that I am missing; for the latter, I'd definitely be interested in grabbing them at some point, should they appear for a decent price, but I honestly see them as being akin to having a NES full set (yes, with Stadium Events) but not having a Game Genie.

So, Space School? lol. What's the Stadium Events equivalent on the Famicom? Just Spartan X / Kung Fu?

5 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

PSX.  A lot of revolutionary stuff happened there and it was awesome.  There’s a lot of fun in collecting variety to be had there too.  Black label, greatests hits, boxed sets, lightspan, long box, not to mention have you guys seen that Japanese square millennium collection stuff?

Lightspan is the most interesting thing no one collects. If there were dozens and dozens of weird exclusive educational program carts for NES they would be worth $100s. I know they're not exactly rare, but it's crazy to me that there are weird collectible Playstation games and they cost on average A DOLLAR each. You can't buy Madden 99 for $1.

4 hours ago, Alder said:

So, Space School? lol. What's the Stadium Events equivalent on the Famicom? Just Spartan X / Kung Fu?

Well while Kung Fu is harder to find, it's not terribly expensive still.

I don't think anyone generally counts the Space School carts or the limited promo games, for example, just like the Japanese collectors sometimes collect select unlicensed games, though they never count them towards a the set (but they should!). Anyways I'm not going to mention here which two carts I'm missing, but I've mentioned plenty of times why I don't really see them as part of the set.

Oh I also forgot about Famicom Disk System, that's another set I'm going after, though it's not a huge priority since the technology sucks and it's so easy to create "reprints"

• Confused 1

NES isn't as high on my list as others but it is a fantastic system still, the system is an interesting hybrid of the 'old way' entering into the new way when it came to gaming back then and I appreciate that a lot, but it also means things haven't held up quite as well as say, SNES or Dreamcast in my mind. I don't do full set collecting though so my interest is entirely on the game lineup rather than the collecting aspect. 

• 2 weeks later...

My first choice is Sega Saturn but it's just priced out for a CIB these days. My second choice is the 3DS which is the set I have the most games for currently. I wish I could find more 3DS games. The downside of the 3DS currently is the downside for all modern consoles and that is that the most expensive games are total dog shit so it's just dumb luck if it ever gets completed as a full set.

For me since I completed my N64 and Pico sets (and accidentally a Wii U set), I would have to say my current active goals:

1. Japanese N64 CIB

2. NES (if I get lucky on SE 🤣)

3. SNES

and sets I would be interested in:

I would love a full Dreamcast set just to play them all before disc rot kills them. Sega did a terrible job making these discs...

I would also love to go for a PAL N64 CIB set but I don't think I will ever have the time nor money to do so. Maybe Brazilian and Korean? Who knows...

Well I’m almost done with the NES CIB set, and it’s technically my second set since I accidentally completed the Microvision set first.

But if we were to ignore that, here’s the top 10 I want.

1. NES
  2. Master System
  3. SNES
  4. PlayStation
  5. Saturn
  6. Game Boy / GBC
  7. Genesis / CD / 32X
  8. Dreamcast
  9. TurboGrafx-16
  10. Nintendo 64

So, SMS is next and then SNES shortly after.

There’s things I prioritize higher than fullset though. I’m starting to get into PC stuff. DOS, Apple II, Amiga, NEC PC, etc.

Those platforms I’m focusing on publisher sets. The list of PC stuff I want is already over 500 titles long…and I’ve barely scratched the surface of what I want.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1