IGNORED

Limited Run Games

9 hours ago, avatar! said:

I watched about 20 minutes of the video, doubt I have the stomach for more -thus far I am going to say the video is asinine. For instance, he highlights LRG's release of Sam & Max which had a few jokes changed - BUT it was not LRG which changed the jokes it was the video game studio which released the remastered version. He also complains that Scott Pilgrim was missing a DLC character, okay I assume that's true. Likely that DLC character was not available when LRG was manufactoring the physical copies, but somehow from that he goes off to what sounds like some pseudo-conspiracy-theory about how LRG is a "game seller" and "NOT a preservation company" ... well yes, they sell games, they sell in fact physical copies of numerous games which otherwise are only available digitally. Those of us that love physical games support them for this reason. The guy in the video says [to LRG] "you've preserved nothing!" which I completely disagree with, and regardless that misses the point that I'm not purchasing a LRG release because I'm worried the game won't be available digitally 100 years from now, I'm purchasing the game because I want to play a physical copy!

"LRG feeds of FOMO and obsession!" he says... that might be true for some. However, the vast majority of people I know that support LRG purchase the games they want, and since nearly every (not all, but nearly all) LRG release are open-orders I have no fear of missing out. To be honest, even if I do somehow miss out, most games you can find fairly inexpensively on the second-hand market. I stopped as I said around the 20-minute mark, when he faults LRG for release different versions of Mall Brawl for the NES... so, we should demand LRG release just one unified copy and that is it? I'm honestly confused where he was going with this! I remember that Working Designs would release all their games with random artwork on the CDs - does that also make Working Designs devil-spawn??

Anyway, I found this petty and ridiculous. A far far cry from the truly investigative and informative work by Karl Jobst.

9 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Right.  That's verifiably false information as there are hundreds of games released in physical form by LRG that would have been digital otherwise.  

To be clear, I’m not agreeing with the video. But it looks like the Jobst video might spawn a bunch of videos like this that may or may not have accurate information. My guess is there will be alot of inaccurate and false info that will make its way through the hobby that will have to be contented with for a long time

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

To be clear, I’m not agreeing with the video. But it looks like the Jobst video might spawn a bunch of videos like this that may or may not have accurate information. My guess is there will be alot of inaccurate and false info that will make its way through the hobby that will have to be contented with for a long time

Agreed. Things are going to get (more) annoying fast.

3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Definitely not trying to blame you for the video.  I haven't decided if I will watch it or not.  I kind of want to watch it to pick apart the errors, but I would rather not give an obvious click bait video another view.  

14 hours ago, avatar! said:

I watched about 20 minutes of the video, doubt I have the stomach for more -thus far I am going to say the video is asinine. For instance, he highlights LRG's release of Sam & Max which had a few jokes changed - BUT it was not LRG which changed the jokes it was the video game studio which released the remastered version. He also complains that Scott Pilgrim was missing a DLC character, okay I assume that's true. Likely that DLC character was not available when LRG was manufactoring the physical copies, but somehow from that he goes off to what sounds like some pseudo-conspiracy-theory about how LRG is a "game seller" and "NOT a preservation company" ... well yes, they sell games, they sell in fact physical copies of numerous games which otherwise are only available digitally. Those of us that love physical games support them for this reason. The guy in the video says [to LRG] "you've preserved nothing!" which I completely disagree with, and regardless that misses the point that I'm not purchasing a LRG release because I'm worried the game won't be available digitally 100 years from now, I'm purchasing the game because I want to play a physical copy!

"LRG feeds of FOMO and obsession!" he says... that might be true for some. However, the vast majority of people I know that support LRG purchase the games they want, and since nearly every (not all, but nearly all) LRG release are open-orders I have no fear of missing out. To be honest, even if I do somehow miss out, most games you can find fairly inexpensively on the second-hand market. I stopped as I said around the 20-minute mark, when he faults LRG for release different versions of Mall Brawl for the NES... so, we should demand LRG release just one unified copy and that is it? I'm honestly confused where he was going with this! I remember that Working Designs would release all their games with random artwork on the CDs - does that also make Working Designs devil-spawn??

Anyway, I found this petty and ridiculous. A far far cry from the truly investigative and informative work by Karl Jobst.

There is an almost religious obsession among some current-gen collectors with having the entire game "on the cart." If they have to download patches, DLC, etc. then they get very worked up about it. They are the same people that tweet memes about "back in the day, you got the whole game on day 1" which isn't really true because many games had revisions so you have games from NES to GameCube where the first version might have had bugs that had to be corrected in an updated version (Rev A, -01, etc.) or you might have had a later release with more content (see: Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 Plus). And it's not like the first version, with bugs or whatever, is worthless! Plenty of version 1 retro games have resale value regardless of “playability”. But these modern-gen collectors insist that if the entire game isn't on the cart then the cart will be worthless in the long run because apparently the only reason to collect games is to have the physical media playable even after the servers go offline. That’s where this kind of anger comes from 🙄

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

There is an almost religious obsession among some current-gen collectors with having the entire game "on the cart." If they have to download patches, DLC, etc. then they get very worked up about it. They are the same people that tweet memes about "back in the day, you got the whole game on day 1" which isn't really true because many games had revisions so you have games from NES to GameCube where the first version might have had bugs that had to be corrected in an updated version (Rev A, -01, etc.) or you might have had a later release with more content (see: Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 Plus). And it's not like the first version, with bugs or whatever, is worthless! Plenty of version 1 retro games have resale value regardless of “playability”. But these modern-gen collectors insist that if the entire game isn't on the cart then the cart will be worthless in the long run because apparently the only reason to collect games is to have the physical media playable even after the servers go offline. That’s where this kind of anger comes from 🙄

There’s two kinds of DLC - bug fixes and bonus content.

When a company releases a game in a rush and it’s full of bugs on day 1 and is unplayable out of the box, unless you download the day 1 update, people get pissed. LRG allows ample time for the developers to release bug fixes before they put the game on a cartridge, this way the complete game is physically preserved and is future proof.

Bonus content isn’t actually part of the core game experience. It’s a bonus. You should just be happy that it’s there. That said, LRG will wait for bonus content to be released before publishing the physical game if they are aware that it’s coming. But after they print the game, if developers want to give you even more bonus content, is that not a good thing? People should just be happy that there is extra content being released.

If LRG were to wait for all possible bonus content that may potentially come out they might as well stop publishing games right now and wait a few years until the Switch is no longer a current gen console. Then they’d know for sure that there will be no new bonus content and we could all get a bunch of sealed games to put on a shelf years after they are no longer relevant.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, phart010 said:

If LRG were to wait for all possible bonus content that may potentially come out they might as well stop publishing games right now and wait a few years until the Switch is no longer a current gen console. Then they’d know for sure that there will be no new bonus content and we could all get a bunch of sealed games to put on a shelf years after they are no longer relevant.

It's sort of like not buying a new TV because something better might come out in a few months.  But if that's your concern, you might wait forever before buying a TV because they will never stop improving them.  If you wait for all bonus DLC to be developed, you could theoretically wait forever.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, phart010 said:

There’s two kinds of DLC - bug fixes and bonus content.

When a company releases a game in a rush and it’s full of bugs on day 1 and is unplayable out of the box, unless you download the day 1 update, people get pissed. LRG allows ample time for the developers to release bug fixes before they put the game on a cartridge, this way the complete game is physically preserved and is future proof.

Bonus content isn’t actually part of the core game experience. It’s a bonus. You should just be happy that it’s there. That said, LRG will wait for bonus content to be released before publishing the physical game if they are aware that it’s coming. But after they print the game, if developers want to give you even more bonus content, is that not a good thing? People should just be happy that there is extra content being released.

I can agree that LRG delays can sometimes feel annoying but I think it's getting buggy or sub-par ROM variants. For instance, I was one of a seemingly few that was glad they delayed copies of Panzer Dragoon because they were waiting for a final, patched ROM to fix bugs. I felt that was a smart move.

12 hours ago, phart010 said:

When a company releases a game in a rush and it’s full of bugs on day 1 and is unplayable out of the box, unless you download the day 1 update, people get pissed.

CD Projekt releasing Cyberpunk 2077. This game needed many updates and patch fixes.

Edited by AnimalHouse

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Sumez said:

does anyone really like Axiom Verge that much? 🤣

Yes.  It definitely lived up to the hype for me.  Xeodrifter, on the other hand, was overrated in my opinion.  I couldn't get into that one.  I'm sure there are other examples, but those were the two most hyped Super Metroid clones in recent years.  

Edit:  I guess you meant "like it enough to pay that much money for the CE."  No, I'm not getting the CE.  But I've never ordered a CE for any LRG release, and I've been ordering games from them from the beginning.  I'm not a big fan of CEs.  What am I supposed to do with all of that stuff?

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

Huh I thought Prima was dead as far as print guides go, that's nice to see if anything.

Also WTF... Demons Tilt on PS4 only...why?!  I'd have picked that up for Switch instantly, idiots(them or the developer.)  That game is basic, basic as far as requirements go, so I don't get that in the slightest.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:19 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im confused on their numbering on this release both the standalone Axiom Verge 2 and the double pack have the same release number

Maybe because axiom Verge 1 doesn’t really count. It already had its own release. So maybe they are counting both of them as Axion Verge 2 🤷🏽

• 2 weeks later...