IGNORED

Limited Run Games

Fuck people who just buy this to flip it, seriously.

I've been eyeing this game since it came out on Neo Geo, occasionally considering shelling out for a cartridge. I got their Kaut Buster MVS, and it's honestly a pretty good game, but all their other releases I bought on Dreamcast.

But Razion never came out on Dreamcast, maybe because the DC release of Neo XYX was considered somewhat botched, and they didn't want to repeat that mistake? Looking forward to finally trying it, after all these years.

I really, really love the demoscene'ish soundtrack

I was actually sitting in a McDonald’s drive through when this went live. Managed to get a CE in my cart and then realized I needed to sign in but I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal since I had my account saved in my phone. Well I didn’t realize they had changed their storefront and my old account was invalid. Managed to sign up and confirm my email only to be told the item in my cart was sold out already 🤬

Edited by MiamiSlice

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Well I didn’t realize they had changed their storefront and my old account was invalid.

Yeah, same happened to me. Have bought multiple things from them in the past, and Chrome even remembered my password, but I had to make a new account.

Fortunately I thought to do that before the game went online.

Utterly pathetic they won't up the amount they're releasing to the public when scum can so quickly buy it and turn it for up to 4x the price instantly.  Clearly you're not selling what you should when that happens and you're only screwing actual customers who want to use (or at least collect) the product.  What a sad shame.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Utterly pathetic they won't up the amount they're releasing

Who says they won't? I just linked a tweet saying they are considering a reprint.

The thing is, they already produced all 1500 copies, they are all on hand and ready to ship out immediately. People who bought from the previous batch already got theirs!
I can understand they don't want to risk producing more than they can sell. They probably didn't anticipate the release being so popular considering Razion rarely got any attention previously. I've seen people trying to sell the MVS carts for years with no one biting.

• Like 2

I can imagine on MVS carts, people who publish them these days ask some pretty asininely high prices given what the parts seem to cost chinese bootleggers come in for far less and are of similar construction too.  Those unique boards and chips I doubt are in mass print from multiple suppliers.

Yeah, NG Dev Team MVS games tend to be quite expensive. Kraut Buster is the only one I've bought, but IIRC it cost like twice as much as what Xeno Crisis is selling for. There's a ton of custom hardware on the cartridge, which is also why it doesn't emulate in a Neo Geo/MAME emulator.

I used to hang more in that toxic NG community.  From what I had heard previously, they put some encryption on there, but it wasn't long before someone broke it and dumped the games.  But despite that, and I guess they are out there, the community seemingly is self policing to a point on the stuff where the privileged few can get such things (likely cart owners) and it's blocked from the masses.  Something about the fear of setting them off and they stop making new toys to play with.  Piracy with morals, go figure.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I used to hang more in that toxic NG community.  From what I had heard previously, they put some encryption on there, but it wasn't long before someone broke it and dumped the games.  But despite that, and I guess they are out there, the community seemingly is self policing to a point on the stuff where the privileged few can get such things (likely cart owners) and it's blocked from the masses.  Something about the fear of setting them off and they stop making new toys to play with.  Piracy with morals, go figure.

No, it's not an encryption thing. A big part of the game logic apparently runs from a coprocessor or something like that. 

So it's kind of like sort of a hard lockout, taking a page a bit from Nintendo like they did with the SA-1 on SNES.  IT was a duplicate main CPU working as a co-processor, which also ended up keeping a bit of the game code on it too which made early efforts to dump, then later emulate the chip a pain.  Their carts similarly at least as far as the processor goes, created a block that flash kits currently don't bother with.  One would have to buy the game, dissect the co-processor, then put out hacked unofficial firmware for the few kits out there to bother.  As is, way too much of an effort.

Yeah, that's how I've heard it described at least. I don't think it's an anti-piracy thing as much as it's a question of off-loading logic and not having to worry about slowdown or other technical limitations, but that's pure guesswork on my part. Haven't taken apart my own cartridge to analyze it, but obviously other people have looked into them:

https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Razion

I'm sure it could be emulated well enough if anyone wanted to give it a go, but you'd be doing it for only a tiny handful of games, and with the only end goal being pirating indie homebrew games of which some are still being sold. Doesn't look good on your rap sheet 😄 

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

For Rondo of Blood, licensed by the IP of the game property and Console, as both are Konami now.  The resulting question for scenarios that happen like this going forward, is this now part of a complete set?  With license from both IP holders.   In this case, for Turbografx. 

Edited by Deadeye

1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

For Rondo of Blood, licensed by the IP of the game property and Console, as both are Konami now.  The resulting question for scenarios that happen like this going forward, is this now part of a complete set.  In this case, for Turbografx. 

First time in English! And, if we ever see the Analogue Duo (before all the scalpers purchase them all) this will be fabulous 😄

I personally think all such officially licensed games are part of the complete set.

BUT before this gets out of hand, if people want to discuss what a "complete set" is, please refer to this long thread

• Like 1