IGNORED

Limited Run Games

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Well in this hobby, the term people use to refer to these machines are clones. No need to get semantic about it.

About cost, inferior and superior hardware, etc, well a lot of the "third party" machines coming out from Taiwan in the late eighties and early nineties are from a technical standpoint, high quality hardware, quite close (if not) 1:1 with original machines, whereas a lot of the modern machines I've seen in the states look like complete garbage tbh. 

I know it's not the popular terminology since so many revere it, but yeah in this hobby, AVS is a clone. Third-party machines definitely is trying to differentiate where it shouldn't be.

On another note, I remember back in the early days of emulators and ROMs, many people would make homebrew demo games that would actually run on emulators (probably less accurate emulators) just fine, yet wouldn't function on real hardware. Just another thing to think about, which to me strengths the original case of why it's unreasonable to try to expect homebrew games to run flawlessly on every machine under the sun, no matter how "accurate" or "inaccurate".

It isn't every machine under the sun, I think you're missing my point.

I'm agreeing with you, the AVS is as close as one would consider a clone, which is why I'm arguing here that any NES game should work on it. My point here is that all these other garbage systems people refer to as clones aren't clones because their clock speeds are way off and the hardware isn't anything close to licensed hardware. That's why I feel like these games should always work on the AVS and should never be assumed to work on the other garbage.

35 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It isn't every machine under the sun, I think you're missing my point.

I'm agreeing with you, the AVS is as close as one would consider a clone, which is why I'm arguing here that any NES game should work on it. My point here is that all these other garbage systems people refer to as clones aren't clones because their clock speeds are way off and the hardware isn't anything close to licensed hardware. That's why I feel like these games should always work on the AVS and should never be assumed to work on the other garbage.

You are trying to create a distinction and an expectation where there shouldn't be one. This series of machines are generally referred to as clones, in this hobby, no matter if it's a $5 noac or a $1000 designer machine, or something in the middle. I've even heard some people refer to items such as the Sharp Twin Famicom as a clone, and it was official hardware.

I know for you and some others , the AVS is viewed as an amazing device, but at the end of the day, I'd take a Micro Genius machine to it any day, or even my Tiger Mustang.

To expect a game designed for OG NES machines to run on the AVS is nieve or foolish at best, entitled at worst. It comes with the territory of using unauthorised games on unauthorised machines,no matter how "good" or "bad" they are.

• Like 4

I'd have to side with fcgamer on that one, just as he's going in circles with a thick sort in that other AVS related thread over that aftermarket cart that won't work on the guys non-stock system and other stories abound with the AVS having problems. Clearly it's not 100% designed to spec in some ways a few select items may have an issue over.  I have a bastard hybrid on mine, not sure how it would take to it because it's a legit top loader, but I have the HDMI FGPA bypass installed inside.  Same mobo, same CPU and PPU which got put into a jumper board to run the cable to the HDMI output end of things.  Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't, but at least the core guts of my system are Nintendo stock still.  That would be considered a clone, mine wouldn't because it's just a bypass for the audio/visual output but still uses all the original core console components.  I know VGS(really well NA) had a long standing good history with retrousb/bunnyboy but it does get tedious seeing a false high pedestal there with the AVS, it's not perfect, excellent as it may be, it's still a clone start to finish.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'd have to side with fcgamer on that one, just as he's going in circles with a thick sort in that other AVS related thread over that aftermarket cart that won't work on the guys non-stock system and other stories abound with the AVS having problems. Clearly it's not 100% designed to spec in some ways a few select items may have an issue over.  I have a bastard hybrid on mine, not sure how it would take to it because it's a legit top loader, but I have the HDMI FGPA bypass installed inside.  Same mobo, same CPU and PPU which got put into a jumper board to run the cable to the HDMI output end of things.  Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't, but at least the core guts of my system are Nintendo stock still.  That would be considered a clone, mine wouldn't because it's just a bypass for the audio/visual output but still uses all the original core console components.  I know VGS(really well NA) had a long standing good history with retrousb/bunnyboy but it does get tedious seeing a false high pedestal there with the AVS, it's not perfect, excellent as it may be, it's still a clone start to finish.

Thick sort indeed — so tell me genius, the guy’s NES is “non-stock” because he fixed his NES (a notoriously unreliable console in stock form back in the day) with a Blinking Light Win instead of with a dime-a-dozen cheap-ass repro connector off eBay? And that’s why his Mall Brawl cart won’t work? As I said to the other thick sort, give me a fucking break. There’s a legit issue, LRG agrees, so keep spewing nonsense, we’re good.

• Haha 1

Panzer Dragoon Update

As some of you may know, we held back production of the Panzer Dragoon physical in order to include the 1.3 patch on cart (see below for a full list of 1.3 additions/improvements, which include gyroscope controls and 60FPS).

The dev team is currently working on making this patch compatible with the physical format, and we expect to move onto the next step of production very soon. All in all, we expect to ship in about eight weeks.

1.3 PATCH NOTES

NEW:

• Episode 0
  • Super Weapon Mode
  • New gameplay options: rumble, classic reticle, auto-aim zoom, HUD toggle, performance mode (60FPS)
  • Cheatcodes in the main menu allowing the player to cheat in a campaign (god mode, infinite credits, super weapon mode)
  • Gyroscope controls

IMPROVEMENTS:

• SFX system and sounds rework
  • Multi-button fire (A and B)
  • Input lag removed from all actions
  • Camera rotation speed increased
  • Easier and more responsive targeting system
  • Full options access through pause menu
  • Blue Dragon motion re-work
  • Start language based on console account language
  • New, reworked Pandora's Box is now available after beating the game at any difficulty
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, fcgamer said:

You are trying to create a distinction and an expectation where there shouldn't be one. This series of machines are generally referred to as clones, in this hobby, no matter if it's a $5 noac or a $1000 designer machine, or something in the middle. I've even heard some people refer to items such as the Sharp Twin Famicom as a clone, and it was official hardware.

I know for you and some others , the AVS is viewed as an amazing device, but at the end of the day, I'd take a Micro Genius machine to it any day, or even my Tiger Mustang.

To expect a game designed for OG NES machines to run on the AVS is nieve or foolish at best, entitled at worst. It comes with the territory of using unauthorised games on unauthorised machines,no matter how "good" or "bad" they are.

Dude, a machine is nothing but a series of logic gates arranged in a specific pattern. If I buy a board, assemble it with the same chips in the same pattern, I can make my own NES from spare parts. It wouldn't be a garbage clone like the cheap stuff made today, it would be an exact duplicate and as such, would be expected to perform exactly the same. There is a major distinction between the quality of the hardware used when creating the machine and the FPGA chips used in the AVS are clearly different than the chips used in the Hyperkin machines.

If I take the motherboard out of my phone and replace it with a homemade board, assembled in the exact same layout with the exact same model of chips, it will function in exactly the same way. There is no difference between the two if I use identical hardware.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Dude, a machine is nothing but a series of logic gates arranged in a specific pattern. If I buy a board, assemble it with the same chips in the same pattern, I can make my own NES from spare parts. It wouldn't be a garbage clone like the cheap stuff made today, it would be an exact duplicate and as such, would be expected to perform exactly the same. There is a major distinction between the quality of the hardware used when creating the machine and the FPGA chips used in the AVS are clearly different than the chips used in the Hyperkin machines.

If I take the motherboard out of my phone and replace it with a homemade board, assembled in the exact same layout with the exact same model of chips, it will function in exactly the same way. There is no difference between the two if I use identical hardware.

You are oversimplifying things. If the chips are the same, but one batch was made in Korea, the other in Taiwan, it introduces a variable. Same with your soldering technique, compared to whatever was done at the factory, etc. These are all small (seemingly) nitpicky things, but they all contribute to variables, all of which could cause something to go awry and not function the way it would be expected.

At least with a factory setting, although there are also going to be some (minor) variables introduced, it's the closest we can come to everything literally being perfectly equal.

By now the argument has just gotten silly, but I'm glad to see that a few others agree with me at least about where our expectations should be with these lovely projects 🙂

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

By now the argument has just gotten silly, but I'm glad to see that a few others agree with me at least about where our expectations should be with these lovely projects 🙂

Yeah if you're cutting into how well someone vs some robot solders a board, variable or not, it's basically a non-variable short of someone goofing and having a bridge, missing, inappropriate, or cold solder joint.  It makes me think of the 161in1 for Neo Geo MVS, some have a few missing pieces on the board, some have one less missing piece, but in the end both have fouled audio unless you fix the mess and it's because one person did it one way and another did it another.  But in BOTH cases they're not factory, they're after market modern carts, and guess what, they don't like working on all MVS hardware equally -- shocking i know.  Mine was one missing one less piece, so I got the 2 capacitors needed and did a little scraping and soldering and the audio is right.  Yet even with that, 2 of the games are still fubar on there and nothing is going to fix that, and a few others have nitpicky issues.  But you know, that's to be expected and you get one either from the last owner free or you chose to buy it knowing it won't be 100% but damn well good enough in 99% of the cases and that's exactly what it is, and what your argument was, so I could relate.

I can also relate having the FC Mobile 88, one of the best FC clones around, handled most extended mappers and all standard correctly, but while it bugs me it won't do the higher complexity VRC, Namco, and Sunsoft mappers everything else is kosher and I don't go bitching to the FC Mobile makers, or the similar factory of workers doing the 138in1 either as it's a laughable request.  It's the kind of request that gives millennial types a bad rep as they seemingly were rarely if ever told NO growing up through school and college, so they feel entitled to this is how it should be, and if not, moan until you break the target to get what you want ...or else.  Not really how the real world works unless you have a more spineless bullseye that rolls over and that gets into enabling, and as we all know when it comes to a form of addiction (in this case entitlement) enablers are enemy #1 as they feed the behavior so it continues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Thick sort indeed — so tell me genius, the guy’s NES is “non-stock” because he fixed his NES (a notoriously unreliable console in stock form back in the day) with a Blinking Light Win instead of with a dime-a-dozen cheap-ass repro connector off eBay?

Here's the thing: NES systems are not "notoriously unreliable" in terms of executing code; they were "notoriously unreliable" in two ways and two ways ONLY: making a good connection between the cart contacts and the system contacts, and getting past the lockout chip.  The argument presented doesn't work because it's apples to oranges - the AVS won't play your Mall Brawl cart because it can't properly EXECUTE THE CODE.

But yeah, the argument is pretty stale at this point and we all know where everyone stands.  I wish you the best of luck in receiving a cart that works with your AVS, however, I will be utterly SHOCKED if you do!

• Like 4

On 8/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, Code Monkey said:

There is a major distinction between the quality of the hardware used when creating the machine and the FPGA chips used in the AVS are clearly different than the chips used in the Hyperkin machines.

Nvm. The horse is dead lol. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
I don't wana keep derailing the thread.

54 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I have to say that none of those games really appeals to me. 

The only want I really want is Swords of Ditto - but I figured others might like it or the other two. A lot of these go under the radar and by the time you find out they have been released they are all gone.

15 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Unfortunately it is rather pricey - but so far this is the only way to get a physical copy - which offers English as an option.

I checked out play Asia but there is no mention that it has English and normally they do for games with dual language. I did find an article on a website called NintendoSoup mentioning it does. Do you have any other sources?

2 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I checked out play Asia but there is no mention that it has English and normally they do for games with dual language. I did find an article on a website called NintendoSoup mentioning it does. Do you have any other sources?

I didn't keep track but I saw two or three  sources saying it was going to be in English and Japanese - no other languages though.