IGNORED

Limited Run Games

11 hours ago, avatar! said:

Got my Myst and Myst Journal today!

Not that I have time to play this yet, but I'm happy 🙂

Anyone planning on playing this? or are ya'll collecting....

Err... if you're talking about realMyst, I am.  It's been a long time since I've played through the original, and it's probably my favorite point-and-click adventure for personal reasons.  Anyway, I've wanted to play through the version since it was basically released but I didn't get it until about to years ago on GoG and realistically I just don't play PC games.  Having this on a console, though, does increase my chances of actually playing the game.

13 hours ago, avatar! said:

Got my Myst and Myst Journal today!

Not that I have time to play this yet, but I'm happy 🙂

Anyone planning on playing this? or are ya'll collecting....

Confession: never played Myst before. Couple years ago I picked up an original PC CD-ROM version but I still haven’t played it. I’m actually gonna play realMYST. 

Not sure if we've already discussed this or not, but this came up on Facebook yesterday.  If you still have any of the rewards tickets from the early days of LRG, you need to submit them before November.  While the rewards program has been gone for a few years now, they have continued to allow us to submit the tickets for rewards.  It sounds like they are finally going to shut that program down for good.  I was only able to get 30 before the stopped the tickets, so unfortunately, I can't get a free game, but I have enough to get a soundtrack and some stickers.

If you still have tickets, you can read the instructions to redeem them here:  https://limitedrungames.com/pages/rewards

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Not sure if we've already discussed this or not, but this came up on Facebook yesterday.  If you still have any of the rewards tickets from the early days of LRG, you need to submit them before November.  While the rewards program has been gone for a few years now, they have continued to allow us to submit the tickets for rewards.  It sounds like they are finally going to shut that program down for good.  I was only able to get 30 before the stopped the tickets, so unfortunately, I can't get a free game, but I have enough to get a soundtrack and some stickers.

If you still have tickets, you can read the instructions to redeem them here:  https://limitedrungames.com/pages/rewards

Lol, if memory serves me correctly (and it might not be) I think you were my secret santa one year and you threw a single LRG ticket stub in the box.  Well, I had not need for it and I kid you not, it's just sat on my desk with a few business cards for all these years.

If anyone wants/needs a single ticket, PM me.  I'll send you the code.

Edited by RH

1 minute ago, RH said:

Lol, if memory serves me correctly (and it might not be) I think you were my secret santa one year and you threw a single LRG ticket stub in the box.  Well, I had not need for it and I kid you not, it's just sat on my desk with a few business cards for all these years.

If anyone wants/needs a single ticket, PM me.  I'll send you the code.

No, that wasn't me because I've never signed up for the Secret Santa.

Unfortunately, tickets are not transferable.  Each ticket has a unique code and the code is assigned to the email address of the person who bought the game.  It's a little disappointing, but it makes sense if you think about it.  There could be a lot of misuse of the rewards system otherwise.  I'm 10 tickets short of a free game, and obviously that's what I would want the most, but it's impossible for me to get any more tickets.  So I'll just stick with my soundtrack and stickers.  

40 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Confession: never played Myst before. Couple years ago I picked up an original PC CD-ROM version but I still haven’t played it. I’m actually gonna play realMYST. 

I highly recommend NOT playing the OG game.  I mean, it's great but even if you really like having an original experience, go with the Masterpiece version anyway.  It's exactly the same just rendered at a higher color pallet.  The original game could only handle 256 colors.  I love introductions to games by having the original experience but the masterpiece will give you a higher resolution, more colors and a whooooole lot less dithering. It's an exception to the rule of playing the original version first.

If you only have a casual interest in this, then sure, go with realMyst if that's the only copy you plan to try at all.  But, it really is a point-and-click adventure.  This version is sort of the same.  It's fun to explore the world beyond still images, but at the same time you also realize how "simple" the realms are.  As a point and click title, it's amazing.  As an open world exploration game, it's not as amazing because we've come to expect so much more from games like that today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

No, that wasn't me because I've never signed up for the Secret Santa.

Unfortunately, tickets are not transferable.  Each ticket has a unique code and the code is assigned to the email address of the person who bought the game.  It's a little disappointing, but it makes sense if you think about it.  There could be a lot of misuse of the rewards system otherwise.  I'm 10 tickets short of a free game, and obviously that's what I would want the most, but it's impossible for me to get any more tickets.  So I'll just stick with my soundtrack and stickers.  

Ah, ok.  Well, I'm guessing someone else got a one off order and threw the ticket in the box because, like me, they weren't going to be ordering from LRG much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RH said:

I highly recommend NOT playing the OG game.  I mean, it's great but even if you really like having an original experience, go with the Masterpiece version anyway.  It's exactly the same just rendered at a higher color pallet.  The original game could only handle 256 colors.  I love introductions to games by having the original experience but the masterpiece will give you a higher resolution, more colors and a whooooole lot less dithering. It's an exception to the rule of playing the original version first.

If you only have a casual interest in this, then sure, go with realMyst if that's the only copy you plan to try at all.  But, it really is a point-and-click adventure.  This version is sort of the same.  It's fun to explore the world beyond still images, but at the same time you also realize how "simple" the realms are.  As a point and click title, it's amazing.  As an open world exploration game, it's not as amazing because we've come to expect so much more from games like that today.

I agree with all of this.  Usually I suggest playing the original first for the experience, but Myst is the rare exception to the rule.  Unfortunately, it's the type of game where if you didn't experience it when it first came out, you might have a hard time understanding what made the game so unique and special.  That's not to say you shouldn't try it today, but I would stick with the latest version.  

Editorials Team · Posted

Do yourself a favor and avoid outside help.  It will trivialize the experience and make it very short.

I wish Riven would get a remake.  I only ever got the bad ending when I was young (which I assumed was the ONLY ending) so it feels like unfinished business 

13 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

For anyone checking out MYST for the first time, or even the first time in a long time.  After you are done playing it, don't forget to checkout the game PYST.  

I COMPLETELY forgot about that game.  I wanted it as a kid but never got it, and I never played it.  I'm going to have to look that up now..

This is interesting (and neat).

I preorded another switch game (Gone Home)* from Best Buy and I got 10% off since my birthday is approaching.   $3.50 is $3.50 - I will have to remember this next year and get an order together to take advantage of this.

*The profiteers are trying to gouge on this already - even though it is still available at 8bitgames and at Best Buy.  

For anyone debating between the original Myst and the new release of realMyst, play the new one. It has the option of free movement so instead of clicking every time you want to move somewhere, you can just use the joysticks to walk around. I've finished both the original and the new one, I preferred the new one for that reason.

• Like 1