IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I mean in the end, let's be realistic here, we have what like 7 1/2B people on the planet and maybe 10M of that will end up dying in the end if that?  I hate to be the jerk minimizing it writing that as it comes off, but that's like into the thousands of one percent. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

clam up about it and accept the results of the anti-vaxxers and other tools who make game out of it.

I would prefer not to.

• Like 1

@Link and @FenrirZero  I'm originally from out there, just had enough after so long and I got out, tried going back a few years and it got even worse.  I remember that population there, and how they run the govt vs cost of living there it's no surprise the population has been exploding, and sure in turn the virus would be a ripe target in that group.

That said, Link I would prefer to, and will do as such as soon as legally possible as I'm just over it.  I'm saying what I have well knowing whats in that link you posted.  I'm aware, and have had people in my family (wife's side) here who had it, lasted a few days, got over it and moved along after the 14 day period was over.  I know it's not the same for everyone, but a vast majority it is so, if they even feel a thing at all.

If someone chooses illness or death, that's their choice, and if that's how they care to be about it so be it.  We don't live in a country that snatches people in the night like the gestapo, so good luck making people do what they don't along those lines because if the power was there, they'd have nailed those vaxx = autism idiots years ago.  Yet despite those types being out there, they don't and should never call the shots, and if comes down to them vs the great majority moving along back to business as usual, fine, sooner the better.  I'm tired of having to put up with this shit the CCP dumped on us trying to cover their own backs late last year.  I guess I'll sound a little Dickens and icy here, but we need to move on, and if we lose a little surplus population because of it who just won't do what they need to, then they'll get erased from the gene pool hopefully for the better of everyone else.

• Like 2

See the difference between you and me on it, I just don't care.  Those who don't care will get the most harm, those who do, they should be wearing a mask anyway and not touching their face without sanitizing first so it shouldn't be an issue in the general public.  I live in a home with someone who is immune compromised to a point, a basic flu and cold will make her a mess for around two weeks, while for us you shrug it off or feel like crap for a day or two.  So when I go out, as I won't stay bottled up as I am already enough with work, I keep a bottle of sanitizer and a mask, and my hands, phone, keys, and steering wheel get a rub down every re-entry.  Anything I bring in, as long as it won't ruin it, gets the 91% alcohol treatment I do to carts, and if that's too bad, there's the whole antibacterial spray bottle stuff that does the trick, worse case, if it can't get wet, sits on a shelf for a time period to de-funk.

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@Link and @FenrirZero  I'm originally from out there, just had enough after so long and I got out, tried going back a few years and it got even worse.  I remember that population there, and how they run the govt vs cost of living there it's no surprise the population has been exploding, and sure in turn the virus would be a ripe target in that group.

That said, Link I would prefer to, and will do as such as soon as legally possible as I'm just over it.  I'm saying what I have well knowing whats in that link you posted.  I'm aware, and have had people in my family (wife's side) here who had it, lasted a few days, got over it and moved along after the 14 day period was over.  I know it's not the same for everyone, but a vast majority it is so, if they even feel a thing at all.

If someone chooses illness or death, that's their choice, and if that's how they care to be about it so be it.  We don't live in a country that snatches people in the night like the gestapo, so good luck making people do what they don't along those lines because if the power was there, they'd have nailed those vaxx = autism idiots years ago.  Yet despite those types being out there, they don't and should never call the shots, and if comes down to them vs the great majority moving along back to business as usual, fine, sooner the better.  I'm tired of having to put up with this shit the CCP dumped on us trying to cover their own backs late last year.  I guess I'll sound a little Dickens and icy here, but we need to move on, and if we lose a little surplus population because of it who just won't do what they need to, then they'll get erased from the gene pool hopefully for the better of everyone else.

I wasn't going to bring this up in the thread or even on VGS publicly because I didn't want to make a big deal about it or exploit it, but this last phrase caught my attention and I felt the need to respond.  My grandma passed away (from COVID) about a week ago, and our family is still in the grieving and healing process.  She did absolutely nothing wrong, and was in a nursing facility and didn't even have the option to go out or be reckless.  Before anyone asks how old she was - she was in decent health overall and likely had many years ahead.

I realize you perhaps weren't intending to target people like that, but it does really sting when I hear stuff like what you've said, or that "it's just a small percentage of the population."  It's easy to say that, but when someone you love gets this virus and dies when she did absolutely nothing wrong - it's really hard to stomach when you see people downplaying or minimizing the virus.

I'm not saying we need to shut down the world for COVID - I get that we do have to accept SOME level of risk, SOME level of loss, etc., but it's also very discouraging when science proves that masks and social distancing DO HELP to minimize the spread of this virus, and yet I see people out making no changes or sacrifices in public.  

With a few potential vaccines on the horizon, it's likely that (in my optimistic view) we'll be able to achieve some sort of herd immunity within the next year, so it is my hope that in the meantime, people will PLEASE just at least do the bare minimum to help minimize the spread and save as many lives as possible between now and then.  

Everyone right now can make choices and/or sacrifices every day, that could potentially save lives over the next few months, so I'm just pleading with people really, to just do the bare minimum.  I'm not asking people to shut down their lives or tell them what they can or can't do, but just please try.

The more people distance and wear masks, not only will lives be saved, but the longer businesses and the economy can remain open.   

• Like 10
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I wasn't going to bring this up in the thread or even on VGS publicly because I didn't want to make a big deal about it or exploit it, but this last phrase caught my attention and I felt the need to respond.  My grandma passed away (from COVID) about a week ago, and our family is still in the grieving and healing process.  She did absolutely nothing wrong, and was in a nursing facility and didn't even have the option to go out or be reckless.  Before anyone asks how old she was - she was in decent health overall and likely had many years ahead.

I realize you perhaps weren't intending to target people like that, but it does really sting when I hear stuff like what you've said, or that "it's just a small percentage of the population."  It's easy to say that, but when someone you love gets this virus and dies when she did absolutely nothing wrong - it's really hard to stomach when you see people downplaying or minimizing the virus.

I'm not saying we need to shut down the world for COVID - I get that we do have to accept SOME level of risk, SOME level of loss, etc., but it's also very discouraging when science proves that masks and social distancing DO HELP to minimize the spread of this virus, and yet I see people out making no changes or sacrifices in public.  

With a few potential vaccines on the horizon, it's likely that (in my optimistic view) we'll be able to achieve some sort of herd immunity within the next year, so it is my hope that in the meantime, people will PLEASE just at least do the bare minimum to help minimize the spread and save as many lives as possible between now and then.  

Everyone right now can make choices and/or sacrifices every day, that could potentially save lives over the next few months, so I'm just pleading with people really, to just do the bare minimum.  I'm not asking people to shut down their lives or tell them what they can or can't do, but just please try.

The more people distance and wear masks, not only will lives be saved, but the longer businesses and the economy can remain open.   

Sorry to hear about your loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
23 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Really sorry about your loss. And I agree with pretty much everything you said in this post, people should at least do the bare minimum of what they can for the sake of others.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

Thanks tbone, zelda, and all good thoughts.  Honestly...I really didn't want to turn this into a discussion about that or make it about me, but I just wanted to share that it's very hard when it happens to someone who quite literally did nothing wrong or risky.  She had been 'quaranted' so to speak, inside the nursing home since March, unable to go anywhere, and all precautions were taken and enforced.  I can only assume it came from a staff member (and again, that person may have done everything right as well but carried it unknowingly).  Point being, she wasn't engaging in any dangerous or even remotely risky behavior, all this year, and was an unfortunate victim.

I realize that even non-covid, or a loss of any kind, that the world doesn't and can't just stop for you, and loss is a part of life in a complex society.  I totally understand that.  So I don't expect the world to change or everyone to change, or people to lock themselves inside for 6 months, in order to save my grandma - that's not at all what I mean.

But, what I'm sharing is, there ARE things that we all can do, that are proven to help lessen the impact of the virus, while still allowing us to participate in daily life.  

At the end of the day, I can't control other people, so I'm trying to focus on what I can control and doing what I believe is the best I can do here during the pandemic.  

While I do see the light at the end of the tunnel, and the news of vaccines is very promising, I fear we are going to experience a lot of loss over the next couple months as we move into winter and the holiday season. 

Please stay as safe as possible out there people.  

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Honestly...I really didn't want to turn this into a discussion about that or make it about me

No worries man, you should never, ever worry about that type of thing when dealing with a loss like that. Better to talk about it and get it all out a bit than let it ball up inside of you. And besides, it's relevant to this topic since she passed away from COVID.

• Like 1

Regarding masks, social distancing, and the like: The thing is, sadly assholes, who don't take it seriously, are everywhere. Today I had two instances with this, people essentially up my ass and not wearing masks.

Sometimes I give people dirty looks over it, sometimes I "accidentally" back into them, sometimes I call them out or do something passive aggressive to get them to move. I once even waited for someone to leave the shop, motioned them to come over, and then got into a large argument until the shop keeper finally came out and told us to both move along.

I always wear a mask and try to social distance when I go into a building. If I don't, I'll be the first one called out, due to being a foreigner, even if locals are doing the same damn thing. 

Eventually I realised though, it's just a fight that's not worth picking. I hate it just as much as everyone else on here, when people refuse to mask up and social distance, but we can ultimately only control the actions that we ourselves do. So there's little point in getting stressed out or overly confrontational, both things that could be detrimental to our well being. 

Just follow proper procedures yourself, try to limit the time out. That's basically all we can do as we await this nightmare to end.

On another note, I have it much better than most of the guys here, in terms of COVID-19 risks and what not, but from a different aspect I have it much worse. Being halfway across the globe from my family, if some emergency were to happen back home, I honestly don't know what I'd do, and that's a terrifying feeling.

• Like 2

Oh my god @spacepup I’m sorry to hear that.

Dont pay too much attention to population control comments...everyone agrees the world is overpopulated but no one will willingly sacrifice their mother to contribute.

1,000,000 deaths is just a statistic, but a single death is a tragedy.

We all look at spreadsheets all day and hear numbers like “X thousand people died today” but never really process that there are thousands of adventures that came to an untimely end, thousands of stories that didn’t quite finish, and thousands of lives that meant the world to someone else.

My cousin died just last month of a “heart attack” but his family is known for being secretive about health issues and we all believe it was COVID...not to mention that just days after the event there was a massive uptick in COVID cases within our community.

I hope you and your family heal soon. Grieving is hard, but important.

RIP Granny Spacepup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

I'll tread carefully here, and say I'm sorry about your grandma, and yes it really wasn't her fault being stuck in a home.  I'm aware those haven't be handled the best, and in some cases like with Cuomo in NY recklessly which made it worse.

I was purposefully keeping emotion out of the post and was speaking entirely from a logic and numbers angle, and that's why I said it would come off icy.  I knew someone would have an issue from it one way or the other.

I am with you, the world shouldn't cease, and I think we shouldn't be shutting down the economy or peoples lives in any way what so ever, other than the typical mask and distance game, and that's it.  There's a very fine line to walk between one loss vs the other loss.  That's why I coldly pointed out the total population vs a thousandth of one percent.  It's why I said as well perhaps they should make it a law to mask up, perhaps a nasty fine that'll crush people depending on their economy status ($100 for someone, $1000 for another, etc) based off their tax return level, I don't know...something that'll sufficiently burn.  I'm just over both sides of it, the idiots who want large to full on lock down not caring the harm that'll cause so many, and the dimwits who just say F U and go about daily business as well, both are wrong.

• Like 1

On another note, I'm really pissed off about the number of Taiwanense living / working / studying abroad that have been coming back to Taiwan since around March. I mean, there's some folks returning who have been living in the states for forty years! The common denominator is that all the returnees test positive for covid-19, just putting everyone else at risk.

Furthermore, it's shitty, as they are just returning as (a) they can receive better, cheaper health treatment here, and (b) we aren't having lockdowns and what not, essentially one last bastion of pre-covid normalcy.

I realise that we can't deny citizens* entry into their own country, but on another note, with a global pandemic, I think all travel worldwide should have been stopped, period, irregardless of overstaying visas, nationalities, etc, in a worldwide effort to have stopped the spread.

*It's as common for Taiwanense to hold two passports as it is for them to own a pet, so I'd reckon a large portion of the returnees aren't even wholly Taiwanense... @OptOut and I are probably more Taiwanense than some of the bozos that are returning just for selfish reasons, it's infuriating.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Really sorry to hear that @spacepup

Right from the beginning I was hearing that "it's only killing the old, no big deal" chatter.  And then you ask them how old their parents are...

"Oh, my dad is 74..."

People are just inherently self-centered I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Well, I had to do a Zoom call at my brother’s house because they’re working on my kitchen at my place. Got the call yesterday that their nanny, who was in the room with me at one point while I was at their place, tested positive for COVID. And obviously I was around my brother and his wife who also had been around her frequently. So I just got tested. Fingers crossed.

• Wow! 2

2 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Well, I had to do a Zoom call at my brother’s house because they’re working on my kitchen at my place. Got the call yesterday that their nanny, who was in the room with me at one point while I was at their place, tested positive for COVID. And obviously I was around my brother and his wife who also had been around her frequently. So I just got tested. Fingers crossed.

Hoping for the best man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 10:13 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

We'd rather not; I have a feeling lots more (relevant) posts will be coming in the near future.

Hopefully man, I've become to burnt out with it at work to even discuss it further.  Especially with how people typically respond and react on forums.  As far as our area goes, it's getting really bad.  I'd expect an actual shutdown to hit between Thanksgiving and Christmas, just a heads up.  Hope you are able to avoid it cap!

1 minute ago, Doctornick said:

Hopefully man, I've become to burnt out with it at work to even discuss it further.  Especially with how people typically respond and react on forums.  As far as our area goes, it's getting really bad.  I'd expect an actual shutdown to hit between Thanksgiving and Christmas, just a heads up.  Hope you are able to avoid it cap!

Fully expect public schools to get shuttered during then like they did for colleges.

Hopefully he limits the other shutdown stuff to the 10p-6a curfew he mentioned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doctornick said:

Did you see the governor's press conference today? We got a 21 day curfew between 10 pm and 5 am. Anyone that "needs" to be out gets an exception. It's just more of his clueless nonsense.

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Fully expect public schools to get shuttered during then like they did for colleges.

Hopefully he limits the other shutdown stuff to the 10p-6a curfew he mentioned.

At least he didn't shut anything down. People just need to be safe. It can't be that hard.