IGNORED

Greatest game of the 2010s

acromite53

I look at Skyrim and Fallout like Diablo. There is a main quest, but that is not what matters. The story is basically nonexistent. It is the dungeon crawling and looting where the fun is had. Just explore and not care about quest markers until you absolutely have to.  

This was even more evident in the first few Elder Scrolls games. There was no real goal, you just play and explore. I still play and mod Daggerfall to this day. 

Edited by themisfit138

Just to mention one that hasn't been mentioned, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's probably less impressive compared to the modern story-games of today, but it's basically the Deus Ex that Deux Ex: Invisible War wanted to be, although no longer held back by the limitations of the original Xbox. It reminded me a ton of the original Deus Ex, which is one of the best games ever.

2 hours ago, koifish said:

I've been seeing Skyrim mentioned a lot, and if I may, could those people tell me why they like it? If I may speak frankly, I really don't know why people like Skyrim. I do recognize that a big problem for me is that I find open-world games to be fun at first, but to quickly lose their appeal once you realize most of the massive world will just be actively skipped over for lack of novelty or value. My greater beef is just with what I perceived as the game's intent. It seemed like their goal was to do very many things, but in the process, they didn't do any of them particularly well. The feeling comes from the sensation that the role-playing is too thin, the gameplay too easy and simplistic, the exploration handicapped by the GPS map which tells you both where to go and what you've found, lest you fail to recognize something that they want you to see as significant. Finally, the whole point of the game, from what I have watched, seems to be to repeat tedium to make level numbers go up, as well as collecting and carrying every random piece of garbage you can fritter off with. I feel like overall, the game is made for someone who wants a huge timesink without much serious commitment, and who value quantity far more than quality.

Before I just come off as a curmudgeon, I will say that there are games in here which I didn't really like but which I can understand why others like them. Games like last of us, dark souls, I can understand the appeal even if I don't like them myself. Skyrim is just the big puzzle to me. I think the only prize I would give it is the Opposite Day award, the prize for the game with the largest disparity between praise won and worthiness of that praise.

Well, I loved that game when it came out and still do to this day.  If you know anything about the game, this will make quite an impact, but I'll try to explain a bit in case you don't.

I bought it when it first came out and started playing immediately.  I didn't play it all the time, but would pick it up regularly and for days at a time, at least, when I did.  I bought the Legendary Edition and its guidebook when they came out a couple of years after launch.  It wasn't until well after the Special Edition was released that I finally took the trek up into the mountains to first speak to the Greybeards on top of the Throat of the World.  Never once got bored with the game, would just get occasionally distracted by life, set it down, then get back to it later on.  I started a ton of miscellaneous missions and finished a fair amount, but usually would end up getting distracted doing my own thing.  Most often, I would be headed somewhere to definitely, for certain this time, actually work through a mission, see a big deer and take it out with my bow, then see another, and another, and suddenly it was 3-4 hours later, my character's back was breaking under the load of hides, pelts, etc. that I was dragging back to my house, and I was then more concerned with getting everything tanned, making up a bunch of armor to buff my blacksmithing skill, selling everything off, then going out to have the situation repeat itself.  Edit:  Forgot to add the explanation.  Basically, going to see the Greybeards the first time is something you're supposed to accomplish in roughly the first 30-60 minutes that you're with the game.  The moment you're past the first little hamlet that you get to after the intro sequence and you come to the next town and get more info about you being "dragonborn," one of their guys shows up and tells you to get your butt up the mountain.  I avoided that without really meaning to for 5-6 years after release.  😎

I don't know that everyone had that same experience, but a lot of the folks I know who have stuck with the game over time have had similar experiences, each finding their own ways to play and activities within the open world they enjoy.  I want to say that I finally got around to finishing the actual story sometime in the last 2-3 years, but my gameplay is largely unchanged even to this day whenever I pick it up again.  The story isn't bad, the acting isn't terrible, the missions aren't terrible.  To me, the world is so relatively well and beautifully constructed that I, personally, find it more interesting to interact in whatever ways I want to at a given time versus necessarily following the various storylines excessively.  I know some will find that as a flaw or weakness, but honestly, I find it exactly the opposite, endearing the game to me all the more.

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I personally love sandbox fantasy shit.  A huge map to explore, dungeons to discover and plunder, piles of side quests, thousands of pieces of gear, faction quest chains, etc.  I would buy a full priced Switch version of Two Worlds right now.  TWO WORLDS.

Needless to say, Skyrim's just a tad better.  And with an incredibly immersive world.

4 hours ago, broncofantd793 said:

My top 5 in no order:

• Horizon Zero Dawn
  • The Last of Us
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Mario Kart 8
  • GTA V

This man has good taste... I was going to say the following as solid candidates:

• Super Mario Odyssey
  • Breath of the Wild
  • The Last of US
  • GTA V
  • Red Dead Redemption (also struggled to get going in RDR2, on da list)
  • Rocket League

These all stand out to me significantly for the last decade.

• Like 1

At lot of great games this past decade. Hard to just pick one. A lot of the big ones are sequels to IPs that were started in previous decades. I would say one of the most impactful and interesting NEW IPs of the past decade was Five Nights at Freddy's. It completely galvanized the whole videogame streamer movement.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I personally love sandbox fantasy shit.  A huge map to explore, dungeons to discover and plunder, piles of side quests, thousands of pieces of gear, faction quest chains, etc.  I would buy a full priced Switch version of Two Worlds right now.  TWO WORLDS.

Needless to say, Skyrim's just a tad better.  And with an incredibly immersive world.

Sounds like World of Warcraft might be up your alley, if you haven't tried it.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Sounds like World of Warcraft might be up your alley, if you haven't tried it.

Yes I played that for a year and a half.  High level raiding clan, grinded my way to a pvp level 10 rank, did well at arena, and even did Strat solo over and over until I got the Baron's mount.

Don't regret a minute of it, and we even brought one of the dudes out here to go skiing with us.

But I would never play an MMO again.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:55 AM, jonebone said:

GTA V and not even close.  I look back and that game and can't believe it was so long ago in 2013.  

What boggles my mind is how popular the game still is relative to its age. I work with teenagers / young adults and they regularly talk about getting together and doing stuff in the game. A game that probably came out half their life ago.

13 hours ago, dr.robbie said:

What boggles my mind is how popular the game still is relative to its age. I work with teenagers / young adults and they regularly talk about getting together and doing stuff in the game. A game that probably came out half their life ago.

Whoa what. I feel like GTA 5 came out like last year, but apparently it's a few years older... Why does time move by so fucking fast?