IGNORED

Greatest game of the 2010s

acromite53

Inspired by the latest Gamexplain series of videos, I'd like to ask this question here.

What is the greatest game of the decade? With the 2020 right around the corner, it's time to look back at the past 10 years. There have been so many great stand out titles.

Is this a question anyone can answer? I have a really hard time thinking this one over. Off the top of my head without toomuch thought, I might have to say Zelda: Breath of the Wild. 

Edited by acromite53

Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be my pick. I hate that it's "just" a sequel in a long running franchise, but it's that good. My other picks would mostly be sequels too (Divinity OS2, BOTW, NSMBU, Mass Effect 2, Starcraft 2). It's certainly been a decade of sequels.

Path of Exile I think is the best original game of the decade. It revolutionized the action RPG rather than just tweaking Diablo like everything else.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

One of these.  I'd have to think hard about which is #1

Super Mario Odyssey
Darkest Dungeon
Dishonored
Dead Cells
Skyrim
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Red Dead Redemption
Dark Souls
Link Between Worlds

Still need to finish BotW.  And I haven't played your Horizon Zero Dawns or Resident Evil 2s and whatnot.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be my pick. I hate that it's "just" a sequel in a long running franchise, but it's that good. My other picks would mostly be sequels too (Divinity OS2, BOTW, NSMBU, Mass Effect 2, Starcraft 2). It's certainly been a decade of sequels.

Path of Exile I think is the best original game of the decade. It revolutionized the action RPG rather than just tweaking Diablo like everything else.

At the time I played thru it I considered SMG2 to be the best Mario I had ever played.  Of course I don't remember it nearly as much these years later due to nostalgia goggles, but I do remember being wowed by that game.  It was damn good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

GTA V and not even close.  I look back and that game and can't believe it was so long ago in 2013.  

Same here, but the PS3 version.  

I remember how even though it was for PS3 it looked better than anything that was out at the time on PS4.    I really dislike how they pumped all their expansions into online crap and neglected the offline experience however.   That's kinda turned me off to Rockstar stuff in general (I've put maybe 2 hours on RDR2 and haven't even unlocked Trevor yet on the PS4 version of GTA V).

• Like 1

I know a lot of retro gamers don’t like to acknowledge the big sandbox games but GTA V is easily in the running. I haven’t played through enough of Red Dead 2 to give an honest assessment there. The original Red Dead just makes the cut in 2010 and it’s one of my favorite games of all time.

BotW is obviously in the running too. Too many good little indie games to name off the top of my head here.

Edited by The Strangest

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

At the time I played thru it I considered SMG2 to be the best Mario I had ever played.  Of course I don't remember it nearly as much these years later due to nostalgia goggles, but I do remember being wowed by that game.  It was damn good. 

I really wanted to like SMG2 but I think the first one was a better game. I just couldn't put it down.
SMG2 I didn't even finish.

1 minute ago, dougeff said:

I'm going to say Minecraft. Endless fun, or serious story mode. People are modding the hell out of it. Awesome texture packs.

Timeless.

Well... I think Microsoft has taken it to far, but I have to give it to Notch.  It was a brilliant idea and a remarkable feat to make a game that's as creative (and allows for so much creativity) as Minecraft.

I think that's a good pick.

10 minutes ago, Galdius said:

I really wanted to like SMG2 but I think the first one was a better game. I just couldn't put it down.
SMG2 I didn't even finish.

Same here, though the real problem to me is that mario galaxy itself was more flash than substance. The actual gameplay wasn't much to me, to the point that it is one of the few mario games which I have beaten but never replayed. It feels to me like the closest Nintendo has come to making mario into a "movie game".

I probably am an unusual one here, in that my favorite 2010s game is probably not one many people here played or remember. With that said, I think that Lost Planet 2 is my no-brainer choice for best game of the 2010s. It has captivated me now for almost 10 years, and I can't believe it is so little remembered. There is so much to love, from the sound and visual effects, to the goofy story, to the extensive character actions and the super-fun co-op. I played it a lot on PS3 and then bought it again on Steam. Unfortunately, the game suffers from some balancing issues, as well as from some rather bad menus, unforgiving game design choices, and most of all, the superior PC release is plagued not only by Games For Windows Live, but worse still, it cannot run at all on computers with more than 4 CPU cores. That said, it is still what I think of when I think of a really great TPS, and I will always be sad that it never received more love, and worse, a totally different sequel (in a bad way IMO) that was followed by a fast and quiet death. Maybe someday we will see another game like it, but I am not optimistic. Just going to have to replay this one forever!

11 minutes ago, dougeff said:

I'm going to say Minecraft. Endless fun, or serious story mode. People are modding the hell out of it. Awesome texture packs.

Timeless.

8 minutes ago, RH said:

Well... I think Microsoft has taken it to far, but I have to give it to Notch.  It was a brilliant idea and a remarkable feat to make a game that's as creative (and allows for so much creativity) as Minecraft.

I think that's a good pick.

I agree, but it technically doesn't qualify, as it was released in 2009, at least originally.  That hasn't kept people from playing it, but if we're going to allow games in that people just kept playing into the timeframe specified, doesn't that open the gates to literally any game that people still play to this day?

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

I agree, but it technically doesn't qualify, as it was released in 2009, at least originally.  That hasn't kept people from playing it, but if we're going to allow games in that people just kept playing into the timeframe specified, doesn't that open the gates to literally any game that people still play to this day?

Ah, I didn't realize it came out in 2009.  Then I'll give it the title for 2000-2009. 😛

Also, my other pick is probably going to be Splatoon. It is the first competitive shooter I have played in a long time that really felt innovative and wasn't just taking quake and  tacking on other genre elements. The original parts of it feel proper, and there isn't a lot of chaff to bog it down, just a very tight and streamlined experience. It was proof to me that Nintendo's still got it from a design perspective.

• Like 1

Just now, RH said:

Ah, I didn't realize it came out in 2009.  Then I'll give it the title for 2000-2009. 😛

It is a little confusing to those who don't remember, but Minecraft was one of the first big games I can remember to play the "early access" game (back before it was even called that). While they said the "full" game was released in 2011, he original launch was in 2009, I remember as I bought into the survival indev mode back in March 2010, I think I was buyer #9331 or so. Of course not too much later, the TF2 blog covered the new "minepit" fan level showing up in TF2 servers, and like that, the sales went from 10k to over 100k in about a week, and the rest is history. But alas, I do go on, and prove that anymore I am history too 😛