IGNORED

What is the most difficult level/world of any game you have beaten?

Ninja Warriors

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

You are so right about this. That game was so tough to beat on Veteran. I remember the level in the flooded subway where they were everywhere. I ran into some issue when I made it to the end but the huge wave of water that ended the level wouldn't trigger. So I was lying down in the water getting grenades thrown at me and being shot from front and behind. Also Heart of the Reich when you are making that push into the front of the building. Grenades from everywhere. Wow thanks for bring back that trauma. Haha

One of my favorite PSN 100%s.

image.png

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

You are so right about this. That game was so tough to beat on Veteran. I remember the level in the flooded subway where they were everywhere. I ran into some issue when I made it to the end but the huge wave of water that ended the level wouldn't trigger. So I was lying down in the water getting grenades thrown at me and being shot from front and behind. Also Heart of the Reich when you are making that push into the front of the building. Grenades from everywhere. Wow thanks for bring back that trauma. Haha

Yeah, when you're in front of the Reichstag, trying to take out the 88s.  Fucking.  Maddening.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

Nice one! Right here with ya. That era of CODs were so fun 100%ing. And that reminds me,

"Waterwork" and "Snatch and Grab" spec ops missions in MW2 were infuriating on veteran!!

Screenshot_20191106-215419_Samsung Internet.jpg

Some of the most fun I've had getting trophies right there.

image.png

14 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Pretty much all of Ninja Gaiden III for me. I can beat the first two games without any real trouble, but I couldn't ever get good at NG III, even though I was finally able to beat it.

We played this in the tournament finals last year: Me, arn, tables, skinny, gutsman and bertsampson. It was a one life contest. Only one of us managed to beat it within the time period, and that was bert. That shows how hard the game is.

I reached the first form of the final bosses without dying and then choked.

33 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Pretty much all of Ninja Gaiden III for me. I can beat the first two games without any real trouble, but I couldn't ever get good at NG III, even though I was finally able to beat it.

Everyone says NGIII, but what’s weird for me is that I got through NGIII fairly easily, but had a hell of a time with 1 because of 6-2. 

When I was younger, I could roll through all of MTPO, including Iron Mike himself. I probably played through without getting knocked down at all like 20% of the time.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

The first thing that came to my mind was Perfect Dark on the Perfect Agent difficulty. Attack ship took me the longest to beat but War was harder.

Artorias and Manus in Dark Souls took a decent amount of effort on NG+ (I kind of cheese them on the first playthrough).

The space shooter style stage in Sparkster is really hard, but only because of the randomness of the boss.

15 hours ago, RH said:

Not sure if it counts, but I had a very high percentage on "Welcome To Jungle"  on whichever Guitar Hero that was on, on the highest difficulty level.

I wasn't one of those insane-o's capable of 100% the most difficult songs at the maxed settings, but I could be most of them at that level.  At least the ones that were hard because of killer solos.  Eventually you get to a point where you're not following dots on a screen, but patterns of play that had a "shape" on the highway.

That's GH3, the best one IMO 🙂 I wasn't really thinking of those as "levels" but I guess I count as an insane-o. I finally got a perfect run on TTFAF on expert, but I sunk more hours into that song than all others combined. If anyone's checked out Clone Hero, the Soulless customs (especially 4 and 5) are really fun. Those are probably the hardest tracks I've been able to pass without no-fail enabled.

Burnout 3: Takedown, the preview lap that requires 3:50 for gold with the F-1 car. Infamously known for requiring a 100% perfect lap with full boost, no crashes and perfect trajectory to save time on each curve.

(can still be done with a crash apparently, but you'll be very close to 3:50, maybe too close)

Edited by Tyree_Cooper
  • Like 1

Maybe not specifially a level, but if RPG bosses are allowed then I would throw in the bonus boss in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner. Being a SMT title this game is already a bit tougher than your average JRPG, but then you have to replay it on hard mode and beat one of the toughest bosses, I've ever encountered. It took me many tries and on my final try the battle lasted about 2 hours. I had pen and paper ready to take notes, because he would cycle through his underlings. You carefully have to balance between killing his underlings at the right time so that they don't fully heal the boss and not killing them too quickly, because then the boss would use a sleep spell on everyone and whoever did not fall asleep would get instantly killed by a death spell. So there is some randomness involved as well.

But the one level that immediately comes to mind upon reading this question is definitely the seventh and final level in Undeadline on the Mega Drive, a Japan exclusive top-down shmup. In the final level there are huge amounts of enemies just swarming the screen and filling it with projectiles if you don't dispose of them quickly. After that you'll fight against the hardest boss in the game, the vampire. He summons a bunch of bats that circle around the screen and swoop at you Kamikaze-style while also shooting projectiles at you. These are already hard enough to evade/kill, but of course the vampire itself can attack you as well. Then you'll face off with the final boss who has like two or three forms and can be a major pain to kill. I eventually got a strategy, but it required exact timing and quick reflexes.

What makes this level so difficult though is that depending on the weapons/upgrades you choose, you will either have a harder time with the regular enemies or the bosses. Because in the course of the game your character can gain levels and permanently upgrade his speed or the strength of certain weapons. This means that you will msot likely have to focus on one kind of weapon. If you chose the spread shot, or whatever it's called, you'll of course have an easier time with the regular enemies, but the bosses will become extremely difficult. Especially that vampire! However, there is a strategy to easily beat that vampire if you choose a certain bomb-like weapon. If positioned correctly you can kill all of the bats whenever the vampire summons them and quickly kill the vampire too within a matter of seconds. Unfortunately this weapon is really, really bad against the regular enemies, sicne it's quite slow and can only hurt the enemies in front of you. So whatever you do, this level will always be brutally difficult. It doesn't even matter if you got there will all of your continues, since it's near impossible to get back on track once you've lost a life and your weapon power-ups. I would then usually burn through all my remaining lives and continues. It doesn't help either that this game has NO checkpoints whatsoever.

Anyway, it took me weeks to beat this game, and when I did, my body was trembling and I was crying out of joy. It's easily the hardest game I ever managed to beat. And if it's somehow still too easy for you, you could just try the hard mode instead. I quickly noped out of that one.

For me, the level I've spent most time on was Battletoads' Clinger-Winger.

Not that the level in itself is so impossibly difficult, but shortly after the NES Classic (NES-Mini) came to market, it was a great opportunity to bring a NES with me to work (I worked on a ship at that point, and the rotation was 6 weeks onboard / 6 weeks home). Loved the opportunity the NES classic brought, with compact size, lightweight, USB power and connection to modern TV's. Only problem was, that the screen in my cabin was some dated and cheap PC monitor, and of course, that Battletoads was emulated, so it was nearly impossible to time the corners correctly to get through that level. I played for hours and hours for days and days and had to learn to time the corners the correct way based on the lag. At the end I'm sure I could've done the majority of the level blindfolded considering how many hours I spent on it total. Horrible experience, but also rewarding.

Got back home, put a proper cart in my NES on a proper CRT and all of the suddenly it felt like a completely different game.

So, yeah, since then, I've joined the choir of people preaching that emulating is bad  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Everyone says NGIII, but what’s weird for me is that I got through NGIII fairly easily, but had a hell of a time with 1 because of 6-2. 

When I was younger, I could roll through all of MTPO, including Iron Mike himself. I probably played through without getting knocked down at all like 20% of the time.

I guess a lot of it is what your used to. I see Mega Man 1 and Contra mentioned as being insanely difficult, but I can beat both of those without losing a life. I had both games as a kid so I've probably got the patterns burned into my memory after 30+ years. Ninja Gaiden III and Battletoads are the two NES games that gave me the most trouble. I eventually beat both games, but it was so frustrating just to finish them that I didn't go back and try to see if I could practice enough to actually get good at them.

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

We played this in the tournament finals last year: Me, arn, tables, skinny, gutsman and bertsampson. It was a one life contest. Only one of us managed to beat it within the time period, and that was bert. That shows how hard the game is.

I reached the first form of the final bosses without dying and then choked.

I was able to beat the game without continues in under a week of practice.  I think I had a one or two death run in there.  NGIII is not an easy game, but I don't think it's as tough as some of the other challenges listed here.  😛

49 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

I was able to beat the game without continues in under a week of practice.  I think I had a one or two death run in there.  NGIII is not an easy game, but I don't think it's as tough as some of the other challenges listed here.  😛

I guess the real challenge beating NGIII without dying. When the likes of tables, you and skinny can't do that within a week it is a difficult challenge.

Events Team · Posted
On 11/6/2019 at 11:38 AM, arnpoly said:

NES Ikari Warriors, literally any part in that game.

Now this is one effing tough game.
Took me forever to break it.

But for me, it was beating every boxer at round 1 on Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
Tyson was the 2nd last to fall. Then getting Mr Sandman to stay down on round 1 took everything I got.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, mbd39 said:

I guess the real challenge beating NGIII without dying. When the likes of tables, you and skinny can't do that within a week it is a difficult challenge.

But it was just the time limit in that last level the enemies weren’t overly difficult I would just get to a three form final boss and have like 20 seconds to do it 

For me it’s the hard levels in shitty games  that seem most difficult because I’m not enjoying what I’m playing on top of the challenge 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tablew/chairs said:

But it was just the time limit in that last level the enemies weren’t overly difficult I would just get to a three form final boss and have like 20 seconds to do it 

The Act 7 timer is definitely the hardest part of the trilogy for me, except maybe the first Jaquio in NG2. Act 7 is super long! I always have to suicide at the checkpoint and I can otherwise beat the game without dying. One day I'll learn how to do it fast.

Edited by DefaultGen

Earlier this year I was playing Hollow Knight and randomly stopped my game one night at something called The Trial Of Fools. I didn't know what it was but I knew I was having surgery the next day and had a full week off work to finish the rest of the game. I played that battle for 10 hours a day, a week straight and the night before I went back to work, I finally beat it. I got nowhere in the game, the only thing I accomplished was that boss battle. That was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

I always remember the timer being the big issue in NGIII on the last stage. I still think the last boss in the original NG made the game overall a little tougher than the 3rd from my experience but I never really took the time to find a go to strat for the 2nd form. Speaking of Ninja Gaiden, Razor's Edge on the hard difficulty on Wii U is absolutely insane. Boss fights can take upwards of 10 minutes and a slip or two and you're toast. The game shows absolutely no mercy.

Although I like shooters I don't play them a lot. I remember playing some of those Darius games and never really getting far because of the difficulty. Could have put in some more effort I guess.

Some of the Mario Maker levels I've completed are definitely up there for me. A few of them have taken a few sessions over a week or two to complete. That game got pretty stale though as I found all the tough levels began to just be the same gimmicks over and over.