IGNORED

What is the most difficult level/world of any game you have beaten?

Ninja Warriors

Not sure if it counts, but I had a very high percentage on "Welcome To Jungle"  on whichever Guitar Hero that was on, on the highest difficulty level.

I wasn't one of those insane-o's capable of 100% the most difficult songs at the maxed settings, but I could be most of them at that level.  At least the ones that were hard because of killer solos.  Eventually you get to a point where you're not following dots on a screen, but patterns of play that had a "shape" on the highway.

Off the top of my head:

Celeste B and C sides and strawberries - One of the finest games and soundtracks ever created. Super fun figuring out how to use your abilities as you slowly discover they exist.

Defeated the final boss of Shinobi (PS2) - Relatively unknown and underappreciated game that is super stylish and hard as nails.

Super Meat Boy 100% - Those bandages and that Wanna Be the Guy stage. 😭😭😭

The final levels in Trials HD/Evolution/Fusion - If you want a reason to smash your controller, just play these games. Holy difficulty curve, Batman!

45 Minute Challenge in Braid - One of the most fun and satisfying challenges I've ever negotiated. You have to plan out every move ahead of time and practice quite a bit, but totally worth it. If you've beaten this game, but never tried this challenge, you're missing out! Don't use a guide! Another all-time great.

Awesome thread @Ninja Warriors!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The later levels in QBert would also be up there, right?

Yes, absolutely, great call.  The difficulty doesn't change much in Level 6 and beyond, but those rounds are very challenging.  You have to do so many of them to get the ending, plus each one has different enemy patterns to them.  Tough, tough game to beat.

I guess while I'm here, I'll also mention the last couple of pachinko stages in NES High Speed pinball, as well as the last stage in To The Earth.

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The later levels in QBert would also be up there, right?

In the same line, the Clu Clu Land stages when the coins start to flip over when you pass through them. Just like the later stages of Q-Bert, this totally quadruple the difficulty of the game all of a sudden.

• Like 2

Difficulty is such a weird thing.  If its something that I know I can do, but don't want to spend hours and hours memorizing and practicing, i'm not into it.  Id rather let my 'skill' do the work.  Which is why I haven't TRULY beaten Adventure Island (I did with a game genie, just to get to level 8 after playing for 2 hours and getting tired), or Ikari Warriors or Battletoads.  So for that I salute you all.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Either 8-2 or 8-3 in Adventure Island. The game just gets ridiculously hard.

^Agree here. 8-2 is no fun if you lose your weapon. 8-3 took me a million tries on the end sequence with the bats & falling platforms before I finally got it down pat.

I'll throw in Battletoads, particularly the Terra Tubes, Rat Race & Clinger Winger.

The waterfall stage in Werewolf: The Last Warrior is a pretty big PITA too. 

Just now, Strikezone1 said:

^Agree here. 8-2 is no fun if you lose your weapon. 8-3 took me a million tries on the end sequence with the bats & falling platforms before I finally got it down pat.

I'll throw in Battletoads, particularly the Terra Tubes, Rat Race & Clinger Winger.

The waterfall stage in Werewolf: The Last Warrior is a pretty big PITA too. 

I was thinking the Terra Tubes would be up there if it didn't have the 1ups that you can keep grabbing after you die. But it is a brutal stage, yeah. The Revolution is another contender because it's right at the end of a very difficult game, goes on forever, and only has two checkpoints.

31 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I was thinking the Terra Tubes would be up there if it didn't have the 1ups that you can keep grabbing after you die. But it is a brutal stage, yeah. The Revolution is another contender because it's right at the end of a very difficult game, goes on forever, and only has two checkpoints.

The Revolution is no picnic, I agree.

Editorials Team · Posted

Pretty hard to say.  Some that come to mind:

Tiny Barbarian - final boss

CoD World at War - any of them, on Veteran

Battletoads - Rat Race or the Robo Manus level

Super Ghouls n Ghosts - final level before last boss on 2nd loop

Dungeon Master - final level

Advance Wars - final level on hard

Total Annihilation - Krogoth stage

Darkest Dungeon - any Crimson Courtyard stage

GoldenEye - a couple different stages on 00

Perfect Dark - War on 00

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Pretty hard to say.  Some that come to mind:

Tiny Barbarian - final boss

Battletoads - Rat Race or the Robo Manus level

Super Ghouls n Ghosts - final level before last boss on 2nd loop

Dungeon Master - final level

Advance Wars - final level on hard

Total Annihilation - Krogoth stage

Darkest Dungeon - any Crimson Courtyard stage

GoldenEye - a couple different stages on 00

Perfect Dark - War on 00

I almost mentioned the final level in  Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

The Robo Manus level is one of the easier ones, IMO. Especially if you can hold on to the stick which lets you headbutt the fans and gas blowers. And there's the safe spot for fighting Manus on the far left. It's probably harder when going for low score though.

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You are so right about this. That game was so tough to beat on Veteran. I remember the level in the flooded subway where they were everywhere. I ran into some issue when I made it to the end but the huge wave of water that ended the level wouldn't trigger. So I was lying down in the water getting grenades thrown at me and being shot from front and behind. Also Heart of the Reich when you are making that push into the front of the building. Grenades from everywhere. Wow thanks for bring back that trauma. Haha

Edited by acromite53