IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If I remember correctly from the time, NA was not started to be a forum, it was started to be the penultimate database of information for the NES, as information was scattered over multiple websites and forums, and finding it was a goddamn chore for all but the most hardcore of us.  The forum was added more as an extra than anything.  With all the other communities out there at the time, there was really no need for another one.  The site was meant to be a database right from day one.

Correct. At the time, everyone was using Martin's NES World, but it didn't have a searchable database, which was the impetus behind NA.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think I understand more now why a lot of people from NA were mightily miffed that the exchange between Dain and Jeff was done without giving the members any forewarning. 

I can see that a lot of hours and dedication were spent there by a lot of the regulars. So while technically Dain was the physical owner of NA, the regular members there were the “spiritual” owners. So on the surface (and my understanding of it back then), it looked like a fair transaction between one party to another, it could be argued there was a perceived intruder, entering the “home” to gobble up contents for personal profit.

Then the follow up after the sale was for Jeff to neglect, data-mine, zombify, and destroy the forum...too many mis-steps for it to be all unintentional/innocent on Jeff’s part. 

Probably for the best that the old Nintendoage was completely gutted and destroyed in the gocollect transition.  It made it a very easy choice for people to make the Videogamesage transition, instead of dividing the community into two parts.

Edited by NintendoTwizer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Administrator · Posted
40 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I remember the reaming I got from like half a dozen people because I, as a new user who hadn't been on a forum regularly since I had been on BBS's...in the 90's...(gasp)...SIGNED MY NAME AT THE END.  "Oh, we know who you are, WTF are you doing."  Cue some member of the old guard showing up a couple of weeks later after a brief hiatus, doing the exact same shit, nobody says a word.  🤦‍♂️  So glad all that shit's over and done with.

If I see something doing that I gently mention that we have signatures available via PM in case they weren't aware. @CasualCart does this and made a fair point when I did so - he feels (and I'm paraphrasing, feel free to correct me) that it's more personal and sincere if he does the "signing" himself each time. I get that for sure - makes you maybe step back and really think - am I ok putting my name on this? Smart, I say. Not for me, but smart no less.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think I understand more now why a lot of people from NA were mightily miffed that the exchange between Dain and Jeff was done without giving the members any forewarning. 

I can see that a lot of hours and dedication were spent there by a lot of the regulars. So while technically Dain was the physical owner of NA, the regular members there were the “spiritual” owners. So on the surface (and my understanding of it back then), it looked like a fair transaction between one party to another, it could be argued there was a perceived intruder, entering the “home” to gobble up contents for personal profit.

Then the follow up after the sale was for Jeff to neglect, data-mine, zombify, and destroy the forum...too many mis-steps for it to be all unintentional/innocent on Jeff’s part. 

While I only ever started giving a bit toward the very end of the site, folks have talked about all kinds of fund raisers, regular donators to the site, etc., so I would argue that a lot of folks should have had more than just a freebie user's level of ownership in the place.  I don't know what hosting costs were or how much out of pocket cost there was after all the donations and such were accounted for, but I seem to recall that the Patreon stuff at the end was explained as a last ditch effort to make sure all costs were covered while still avoiding banner or other ads on the site.  The folks who put all that data together on their own and shared it with everybody are pissed off to no end mostly because of the fact that their hard work was expressed as one of GoCollect's primary reasons for buying the place.  Many of those folks were heavy and/or primary donators, so their sense of betrayal and disappointment would be magnified compared to others', I would imagine.

6 minutes ago, NintendoTwizer said:

Probably for the best that the old Nintendoage was completely gutted and destroyed in the gocollect transition.  It made it a very easy choice for people to make the Videogamesage transition, instead of dividing the community into two parts.

While I agree with the overall intent of your post, there were a bunch of absolute die-hards at the end who absolutely refused to join VGS despite much discussion, asking from long time friends, etc.  Most often the reason given was that they just didn't want to have to learn or get used to a different forum, so they were just going cold turkey once the lights got shut off.  I can't remember all of the names anymore, but for the most part those folks who didn't migrate over have stayed gone.  There's at least one who only showed up here in the last week or so, during the "Great NA Reunion" part of this thread.  We did lucky, though, with most of the community choosing to make the leap from one place to another, and the vast majority of those being willing to make a fresh start, with no hard feelings toward anyone for things in NA's past.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

If I see something doing that I gently mention that we have signatures available via PM in case they weren't aware. @CasualCart does this and made a fair point when I did so - he feels (and I'm paraphrasing, feel free to correct me) that it's more personal and sincere if he does the "signing" himself each time. I get that for sure - makes you maybe step back and really think - am I ok putting my name on this? Smart, I say. Not for me, but smart no less.

I can understand that, but I agree more with @CasualCartin regard to the feeling on those.  Even if I didn't put my actual name on something as a signature in the BBS days, I was putting MY handle on it, as many folks did in those days, kind of like signing a letter.  Yeah, ok, you can look at who made the post, but have some style, peasants!  🧐😎🤪

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

I can understand that, but I agree more with @CasualCartin regard to the feeling on those.  Even if I didn't put my actual name on something as a signature in the BBS days, I was putting MY handle on it, as many folks did in those days, kind of like signing a letter.  Yeah, ok, you can look at who made the post, but have some style, peasants!  🧐😎🤪

Yeah I have no issue with it at all, I just like to make sure people know their options.

Graphics Team · Posted

I was about to finally create an account on NintendoAge right before the transition happened, but then I saw the GoCollect announcement and decided to hang back and see how everything would unfold.

I guess that was ultimately the right choice haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Dain said:

Correct. At the time, everyone was using Martin's NES World, but it didn't have a searchable database, which was the impetus behind NA.

Oh good, the concussions didn't completely screw up my memories 😛

Crazy thing is that NESWorld is still up and running.  The forum is deader than NA is, but at least Martin's site is still useable.  I think that's why people are pissed about NA's demise - it's not about the forum, although that's disappointing.  It's because Jeff scuttled the database.  Forums are born and die every day.  Nobody'd care if yet another one kicked the bucket as there's always another coming up to fill the void.  It's the information being lost to the ages that hurts people most.  If Jeff had left NA up and running and just killed the forum, people's distaste would've long since been buried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Do you happen to know what the donations (direct, fundraisers, Patreon, etc.) amounted to?  If the whole thing ended up at the point of being user funded, I'm going to be more pissed disappointed than I was before.

I wasn't around for any fundraising drives, so I'm not sure. I just know (roughly) what the site was costing to run by the end. These things tend to get more expensive with time and especially with poor management or lack thereof.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NintendoTwizer said:

The irony with all of this period of forum transitioning, I believe that WATA/HA has helped this forum to gain more steam with all the updates and sales and... controversies..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Ever play Usurper back in the day?

6 minutes ago, Murray said:

Ever play Usurper back in the day?

lol, yeah, even ran it for a bit on my own BBS.  Usurper, LORD, TradeWars 2002, Pimp Wars, BarneySplat!, Solar/Barren Realms Elite...lots of good stuff from those days.  Ooh, The Pit! as well, but I never had a copy and the only registered copy that ran in my area shut down after a year or two.  I want to say there was a Usurper clone (or something Usurper was cloned from) that was also fun to play, but I can't remember what it was. Good times.