IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

52 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Jesus, some people must have a ton of money and a massive drive to obtain the "best" version of a game.  This is beyond me because at this point you are grading how pretty the seam of seal is and not even how well the boxed game looks.  But hey, if I had money to blow I guess this is as worth while as hookers and blow.  At least this doesn't have any negative health risks.

But I totally see collecting sealed minty boxes as a type of art collecting in a way.  But when you get to grading the seal it self and how it looks around the edges I feel like the point is missing and then you are judging a painting by how it looks on the back of the canvas.  

Good thing the king of pop didn’t get into sealed NES collecting 🤪

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Good thing the king of pop didn’t get into sealed NES collecting 🤪

In all seriousness, do we know that, though?  He could have quietly amassed a collection and we'd likely never know about it, simply because most people, and the media, didn't much care about anything that he had in his house(s) when everything was auctioned, save the truly bizarre stuff.  I wonder if there's a formal listing of everything that was at the estate when it was all sold off, and if so, what things we might find that are relevant to our interests.  I know that he was famous for having a huge, elaborate arcade set up in a basement, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear about stacks upon stacks of console games kept somewhere as well.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

In all seriousness, do we know that, though?  He could have quietly amassed a collection and we'd likely never know about it, simply because most people, and the media, didn't much care about anything that he had in his house(s) when everything was auctioned, save the truly bizarre stuff.  I wonder if there's a formal listing of everything that was at the estate when it was all sold off, and if so, what things we might find that are relevant to our interests.  I know that he was famous for having a huge, elaborate arcade set up in a basement, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear about stacks upon stacks of console games kept somewhere as well.

Nah he was a Sega kid 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

https://web.archive.org/web/20191023063730/http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=187248

Jeff claimed in May 2019 that the site layout wouldn't change. That seems to be one of the biggest broken promises, which calls into question some of his other answers...

But at the end of the day, I'm glad it happened. VGS is way better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Ah, its amusing to see in hindsight on that NA thread the people that welcomed Jeff warmly, and the people who didn't like it at all.  I forgot about it but I suppose he owns the rights to my Mutant Virus strategies! 

Holy crap, I didn't even go read it, but I guess I was the first person to cold shoulder Jefft and read-between-the-lines tell him to eat shit?  🤣  Gloves was the first comment, but he was just shocked, then there were a couple of welcomes (of different temperatures), then me asking why Dain or the admins hadn't told anyone this and how I was going straight to the bank to make sure Jeff wasn't getting my monthly donation to keep the site running.  Damn, lol!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Holy crap, I didn't even go read it, but I guess I was the first person to cold shoulder Jefft and read-between-the-lines tell him to eat shit?  🤣  Gloves was the first comment, but he was just shocked, then there were a couple of welcomes (of different temperatures), then me asking why Dain or the admins hadn't told anyone this and how I was going straight to the bank to make sure Jeff wasn't getting my monthly donation to keep the site running.  Damn, lol!

As a longtime member but someone outside of the mod circle, B.A.'s first comment was pretty striking to see 😞 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

That original NA topic should be read and categorized for future reference.  Also when I logged into yahoo I see this article.  Again, just more money hype.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/12-incredibly-rare-nintendo-games-205216751.html

I started scanning it for about 20 seconds but then stopped once I got to the part where jeff from go collect said he didn't buy the cc to make a profit. I just had lunch and didn't wish to vomit all over my desk. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Alder said:

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006

😕

Ah, my old signature!  Memories indeed!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

There is a Moonwalker prototype that was discovered years ago at a flea market near his home that had all sorts of cool differences, including sound track and a completely different final level, that is rumored to have come from there.

This person sold it to someone else, and that other person made a video, but has since removed it. My guess is he might have sold it himself and the new owner asked for removal or something? Just a guess on that, though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I started scanning it for about 20 seconds but then stopped once I got to the part where jeff from go collect said he didn't buy the cc to make a profit. I just had lunch and didn't wish to vomit all over my desk. 

Oops sorry, I was referring to the old archives thread @Alderposted. 

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The first transvestite in video games 😛 

NA » Super Mario Bros. 2 Manual Variants ....3?

What always interested me is that Nintendo seems to mildly pair Yoshi and Birdo together.

Yoshi is genderless but lays eggs the...normal way?

Mario characters are just set pieces, there is no real lore. Stop trying to make a continuity! This didn't matter to Shigeru Miyamoto.

No one can even definitively say if Mario 2 is lore or not!

8 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Well, for one, Birdo is transgender, not transvestite.

Two, Samus is the first transvestite in video games! 😲

1. From what I can gather in 30 seconds on Google, the tags are both technically accurate in this situation.  However, transgender is the more accurate of the two in this particular case.

2. Samus was never a male, thus was never trans-anything.  The only allusions to Samus being anything but female were assumptions made in the instruction manual based on her nature as a mysterious figure that nobody knew anything about.

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

2. Samus was never a male, thus was never trans-anything.  The only allusions to Samus being anything but female were assumptions made in the instruction manual based on her nature as a mysterious figure that nobody knew anything about.

Hey now!  Everybody knows that only DUDES wear space-pants!

• Haha 1