IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 hour ago, Alder said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191023063730/http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=187248

Jeff claimed in May 2019 that the site layout wouldn't change. That seems to be one of the biggest broken promises, which calls into question some of his other answers...

But at the end of the day, I'm glad it happened. VGS is way better.

Just as a measure of how much VGS is better:  @darkchylde28 never invited me to look at a thread, or talked to me about the people on NA (that I can remember).    Granted, I came in here in a round about way, through playing games instead of collecting, playing Minecraft, and then Game Night.  But without those things, there wouldn't be the the sense of community, and there wouldn't be people I feel are my friends now, I definitely wouldn't be here.    I got all excited about the Werewolf game and spent waaaaaay too long telling my mother about how it worked, and how much fun it was.  I have gotten so much enjoyment and fun out of interacting with you guys.  

I gather that NEVER could have happened on NA.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, PuppyWaffles said:

@Megamanfanwhat year was the Amazon fire at the campout? Was that 2018? 

You've uncovered the true scandal.  VGS was only created to wait out the statute of limitations on dangerous incidents that occurred from NA campouts hah.  We're almost in the clear, wew!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, spacepup said:

You've uncovered the true scandal.  VGS was only created to wait out the statute of limitations on dangerous incidents that occurred from NA campouts hah.  We're almost in the clear, wew!

Depending on when it was, it may be very relevant to everything...not the fire, the campout

1 hour ago, Rhapsody98 said:

Just as a measure of how much VGS is better:  @darkchylde28 never invited me to look at a thread, or talked to me about the people on NA (that I can remember).    Granted, I came in here in a round about way, through playing games instead of collecting, playing Minecraft, and then Game Night.  But without those things, there wouldn't be the the sense of community, and there wouldn't be people I feel are my friends now, I definitely wouldn't be here.    I got all excited about the Werewolf game and spent waaaaaay too long telling my mother about how it worked, and how much fun it was.  I have gotten so much enjoyment and fun out of interacting with you guys.  

It 100% could've.  I've seen it happen countless times.  I've been part of it a few of those times.  So yeah, it could've happened there. 

1 hour ago, Rhapsody98 said:

Actually, some of my best NA memories are from the early days of hanging out on TinyChat, playing games, talking about games, etc. I remember someone (I think it was ship) had a webcam up for days during one of the campouts, that was cool, since I could never make it. Bella playing Dr. Mario, andy always there, spurgness and kev, TNG, penguin, enslaved, playa. There definitely was a sense of community which is why seeing it all go away was so sad. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

Toward the end, activity and interest was waning significantly.  I think the change and switch to a more modern platform, has enabled us to revitalize things a bit and help to bring in some new blood and keep people engaged.  Over at NA, we were losing people much faster than we were gaining new active members.

I think we lost the name, but not the community.  I feel we (and by we I mean not just the staff, but all the people who have stuck with us) did a great job of hanging together to keep that spirit going.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Toward the end, activity and interest was waning significantly.  I think the change and switch to a more modern platform, has enabled us to revitalize things a bit and help to bring in some new blood and keep people engaged.  Over at NA, we were losing people much faster than we were gaining new active members.

I think we lost the name, but not the community.  I feel we (and by we I mean not just the staff, but all the people who have stuck with us) did a great job of hanging together to keep that spirit going.

While a newer, more modern platform (or at least one that's better maintained) has helped, I'm sure, I think for a lot of us, it's been the enormous change in atmosphere and attitude that's really done the job.  Going from NA to VGS was like a fog lifting, where, suddenly, grumpiness and pettiness were not the order of the day.  Everybody immediately seemed to be in a much better mood, was willing to discuss whatever, with whoever.  There were a tiny number of people who couldn't hack it, as I remember there were like 1 or 2 people who managed to get banned within a month or two of the new place opening, but even the folks from NA with the most vitriol have seemed to get along well with everybody.  I just can't chalk that up to the look of the place being spruced up a bit, and the back end being a bit easier to work with.

More modern web platforms and apps made the place look better, but it was the change in ownership and new outlook by the staff (and absolutely holding people to those principles) that really turned things around.

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

My activity definitely went up since the change

Me too, absolutely.  There was such an incredible change of atmosphere on even day 1 of VGS as compared to the final 2-3 years of NA that it's not even funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

While a newer, more modern platform (or at least one that's better maintained) has helped, I'm sure, I think for a lot of us, it's been the enormous change in atmosphere and attitude that's really done the job.  Going from NA to VGS was like a fog lifting, where, suddenly, grumpiness and pettiness were not the order of the day.  Everybody immediately seemed to be in a much better mood, was willing to discuss whatever, with whoever.  There were a tiny number of people who couldn't hack it, as I remember there were like 1 or 2 people who managed to get banned within a month or two of the new place opening, but even the folks from NA with the most vitriol have seemed to get along well with everybody.  I just can't chalk that up to the look of the place being spruced up a bit, and the back end being a bit easier to work with.

More modern web platforms and apps made the place look better, but it was the change in ownership and new outlook by the staff (and absolutely holding people to those principles) that really turned things around.

Me too, absolutely.  There was such an incredible change of atmosphere on even day 1 of VGS as compared to the final 2-3 years of NA that it's not even funny.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say I much prefer Gloves iron fist to that Dwayne guy any day.  I don’t even have any warning points.  😬 

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

I think one of my overarching points is that, while everything that happened was meh, a lot of good came out of it in the end.  Honestly, who knows where we'd be if Dain never sold NA and GoCollect never popped in to the scene 🤷‍♂️

I'm just thankful that so many people took the leap with enthusiasm, and that new members have joined our little party here.

If we take a step back from all the WATA/HA stuff and all the market nonsense, we still have a great foundation here and a lot of good people and connections.  So while I still very much encourage people to share those frustrations and work toward change, let's not let whatever does or doesn't happen after all this, take away spirits to the point people get jaded and want to just walk away.  Obviously people can do as they please, but I'm pretty confident that whatever happens in the sealed market, or whatever happens to WATA/HA/etc etc., that we'll still have a great place here with plenty of good things to do and talk about.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

I think one of my overarching points is that, while everything that happened was meh, a lot of good came out of it in the end.  Honestly, who knows where we'd be if Dain never sold NA and GoCollect never popped in to the scene 🤷‍♂️

I'm just thankful that so many people took the leap with enthusiasm, and that new members have joined our little party here.

I’d still be on NA, bitching for a SSL cert on at least the login page. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

Well I appreciate those comments as well.  I mean, we did have lots of discussions about that, in working to craft an environment that was not only a 'fresh start' but accommodating to as many types of people as possible. 

The atmosphere has definitely changed for the better. VGS is what I wish NA could've been. Things like the TinyChat fell apart over the years because it was considered a liability due to harassment. I lurked more than anything but logging into NA was sometimes like sitting at the dinner table with mom and dad fighting. But things feel more actively inclusive around here, rather than reacting after the damage has been done - and having the Discord really helps tie the community together IMO. I pushed for a Skype room for NA but they stuck with IRC, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

My activity definitely went up since the change

Likewise.

There’s a reason I spent my 9 or so years on NA mainly lurking (but still buying and selling).

A lot of threads would end up getting out of hand or people would loathe new people asking similar questions but the search function was crap so what did they expect. The community was good and informative at NA but personally for me it never felt inclusive of people not in the inner circle or new members. And if you’re on one of the elites shit list then forget about coming back, it would be a massive pile on. 

This place is a complete 360 180 and people actually encourage you to post and get involved whether you’re new or old. It feels like a family even as it grows. The mods and Gloves have done a great job on building that IMO.

Edited by Shmup
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shmup said:

This place is a complete 360 and people actually encourage you to post and get involved whether you’re new or old. It feels like a family even as it grows. The mods and Gloves have done a great job on building that IMO.

*puts on arch hat*

I believe you mean 180, as 360 would mean the same old things happening, since 360 degrees is a circle.

*removes arch hat*

😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Likewise.

There’s a reason I spent my 9 or so years on NA mainly lurking (but still buying and selling).

A lot of threads would end up getting out of hand or people would loathe new people asking similar questions but the search function was crap so what did they expect. The community was good and informative at NA but personally for me it never felt inclusive of people not in the inner circle or new members. And if you’re on one of the elites shit list then forget about coming back, it would be a massive pile on. 

This place is a complete 360 and people actually encourage you to post and get involved whether you’re new or old. It feels like a family even as it grows. The mods and Gloves have done a great job on building that IMO.

Forget about the quality of the search function,  The thing that always got me was someone would bring up a topic and inevitably someone flipped out and pointed to a thread that had been dead for 5 years but it was always like, “No MFer I want to talk about it now.  I joined a forum not a book club.”  And my god if you posted on said dead thread the cries of necrobump echoed throughout the land.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Forget about the quality of the search function,  The thing that always got me was someone would bring up a topic and inevitably someone flipped out and pointed to a thread that had been dead for 5 years but it was always like, “No MFer I want to talk about it now.  I joined a forum not a book club.”  And my god if you posted on said dead thread the cries of necrobump echoed throughout the land.  

Seriously.  It was like we joined f'n Fight Club if we weren't there in the first couple of years versus the last couple.  Folks who were there the whole time and had close friends during that time can't seem to understand, or show total disbelief when stuff like this comes out.  However, "dogpile the new guy" was pretty much the order of the day, especially if any of the literally unwritten rules were broken, lol.  "Hey, about Contra..."  'Rule #1 is we don't talk about it.'  "Ok, but about Contra..."  'Rule # 2 is THAT WE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!!"  🤣

I remember the reaming I got from like half a dozen people because I, as a new user who hadn't been on a forum regularly since I had been on BBS's...in the 90's...(gasp)...SIGNED MY NAME AT THE END.  "Oh, we know who you are, WTF are you doing."  Cue some member of the old guard showing up a couple of weeks later after a brief hiatus, doing the exact same shit, nobody says a word.  🤦‍♂️  So glad all that shit's over and done with.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, spacepup said:

Regarding the database, 

I was just one of many many many users who contributed hundreds of hours of personal time into contributing information into the database, with the main goal of being easily accessible, public information.

In hindsight, had I known this data would be sold and then no longer publicly accessible, I probably would not have put forth all that effort.  

Legally, nothing can be done about it and it is just time that goes in the past so it is what it is.  This is one of my frustrations with that transfer.

Nevertheless, I am working on compiling information for games in other places, and fully support volunteer-driven documentation projects to be freely available wherever possible.

I think I understand more now why a lot of people from NA were mightily miffed that the exchange between Dain and Jeff was done without giving the members any forewarning. 

I can see that a lot of hours and dedication were spent there by a lot of the regulars. So while technically Dain was the physical owner of NA, the regular members there were the “spiritual” owners. So on the surface (and my understanding of it back then), it looked like a fair transaction between one party to another, it could be argued there was a perceived intruder, entering the “home” to gobble up contents for personal profit.

Then the follow up after the sale was for Jeff to neglect, data-mine, zombify, and destroy the forum...too many mis-steps for it to be all unintentional/innocent on Jeff’s part. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1