IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

so you quote an email from 2017 not to "be a part of wata " as your official stance and then become an advisor shortly after where Deniz can advertise you to investors?

There are two things here: legally part of an organization as an equity stakeholder and helping a friend as a subject matter expert. The former concluded in 2017, the latter was me helping with site suggestions and their beta test program. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Vectrex28 said:

I don't know about you guys but that copy of Magical Chase I saw in the shop the other day made a certain body part of mine have organic growth

(Okay I'll stop shitposting now)

You had to pick the game with the young (witch) girl on it for that comment? 😛 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

so you quote an email from 2017 not to "be a part of wata " as your official stance and then become an advisor shortly after where Deniz can advertise you to investors?

I wouldn’t consider advisors or consultants “part” of any company unless they had significantly weaved financial interests.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

Becoming an advisor in an official capacity and giving advice are two separate things. Although they can become intentionally conflated for marketing purposes. I think Wata could have used Dain’s advice and slapped a label on it to enhance the company’s credibility early on. 

Probably should just take Dain’s response at face value since he’s here replying now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

4 minutes ago, Dain said:

There are two things here: legally part of an organization as an equity stakeholder and helping a friend as a subject matter expert. The former concluded in 2017, the latter was me helping with site suggestions and their beta test program. 

LOL. looks like you're all good on paper then

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

My two cents right now is this:

1. Pop reports really should be out, at least where pre-2000 systems are concerned. There is more than ample time and sample size elapsed to do so. However, I think pop reports (at least for the 8-64 bit eras) will have the opposite effect many speculate. There is a lot of information people like Pat assume (for example, that there are “hundreds of sealed first print Mario 3s because there are a bunch of CIB) that is inaccurate. There’s nothing wrong with the assumptions, and they are often completely rational, but sealed has its quirks. For example, I assumed finding an original run (first release) Skyrim for 360 (less than 10 years old) would be a piece of cake, but it took me somewhere between 6-12 months to finally nab one. One thing a lot of sealed collectors learned quickly the past few years is that what was considered “common” can require a new frame of reference quickly. I’d love pop reports to be out yesterday so we can compare them to, say, comics, Pokemon, or sports cards. Given all this in particular, think it is a massive self-inflicted wound to not release one because it leaves so much room for uninformed (not being used as a pejorative) speculation.

2. It would be of tremendous benefit for the buyers of the massive sales to identify themselves. If anyone is looking for 6 figure purchases (or many items at all in graded collectibles) to be “for the love of the game,” they are setting themselves up for disappointment. These are largely investments. Collectibles, crypto, even real estate, different sides of the same coin. But, given the crazy fast rise, the longer buyers remain in the dark, the bigger the risk they will hurt their own value. I do in fact know who one of the large value buyers is, but it’s really up to him/her to make that call on identification. 

As @jonebone has said, video games grew too fast in a vacuum, but we are now in an era where other collectibles/bitcoin have shot straight to insanity as well. Jordans and Charizards (both of which have certainly have exponentially larger populations than video games btw), which were already parts of established markets, have also gone nuts. Video games basically skipped established and went straight to insanity, but I believe that’s more a function of timing than anything. Had WATA opened in 2006, this would not have happened as it has.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Becoming an advisor in an official capacity and giving advice are two separate things. Although they can become intentionally conflated for marketing purposes. I think Wata could have used Dain’s advice and slapped a label on it to enhance the company’s credibility early on. 

Probably should just take Dain’s response at face value since he’s here replying now.

Completely agree.

The most obvious explanation is that Wata puffed up their early marketing by overstating how involved some people were in their early days. 

At the time, it may not have felt like as much of an overstatement to Deniz (and he very well could have been hoping for/expecting ongoing advice/help at that time) -- but in hindsight, it's definitely a bad look for Wata.

I'm inclined to chalk Deniz's apparent misstep at that time to naivete and enthusiasm, though.

And given the other history in other collectibles -- my current leaning would be that if anyone acted "diabolically" and with ill-intent, it mostly falls on HA's doorstep.

For pretty much everyone else, it is very very easily chalked up to a form Hanlon's razor.  (where I would generously replace "stupidity" with core participants not ever really grasping the gravity of the inherent risks of the apparent conflicts of interest)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Jordans and Charizards (both of which have certainly have exponentially larger populations than video games btw), which were already parts of established markets, have also gone nuts. Video games basically skipped established and went straight to insanity, but I believe that’s more a function of timing than anything. Had WATA opened in 2006, this would not have happened as it has.  

James on Twitter: "STARTROPICS IS SO GOOD AND UNDERAPPRECIATED DUDE!!!!  It's my favourite NES game ever made!… "

55 minutes ago, OptOut said:

FUN FACT: 

Everyone's favourite pal @OptOut only ever heard of Nintendo Age by listening to Pat's podcast! 😲

Without Pat Contri, you all would have a gaping hole in this site to fill where Ol' Opty wasn't! 😇

And...that would mean...if I saw you in at the Brothers', we'd probably get into fisticuffs over some left over gaming scraps, having been strangers and all. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

He posted a picture of a sealed 6 pack. It almost seems like he had a second one that he had already split up. 

I thought it was the box, but nobody could tell if it was still factory sealed?

I wouldn’t doubt anything with him, though, he definitely has some crazy shit.

Just now, Dain said:

What are you trying to say? Obviously your snarky reply is holding you back, so I invite you to say what you really mean.

your name was the only thing that had me even looking at those emails. Sitting on a board and advising a company are totally different but i can see the difference now that you pointed it out

The Carolina collection is a big deal. All those game I sold you are most likely from RB so i'm curious if you 'advised' them that most of any collection has gone thru rb or if you were asked to research your own games where they came from

• Like 1

From what I remember, Atwood had 3 cases, 6 each.  I believe he gave a number away and I think was only left with 1 case.  I can't remember if he also had other boxes or it was in a list but he had a TON of other stuff too.  I think in total it was close to 200 cases alone (all holding 6 games each)

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Californication said:

I agree the two shouldn't be compared. The organic growth is immaterial compared to the growth of the market so there is no point in discussing it. Organic growth is a blip, a little bitty data point compared to growth resulting from incoming speculators.

Let me know if you need CPE credits, I can sign off. You probably just got .5 in.

Edited by kell
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

your name was the only thing that had me even looking at those emails. Sitting on a board and advising a company are totally different but i can see the difference now that you pointed it out

The Carolina collection is a big deal. All those game I sold you are most likely from RB so i'm curious if you 'advised' them that most of any collection has gone thru rb or if you were asked to research your own games where they came from

I'm not sure I even know who you are, can you tell me so I have some context? Also, who is "RB"? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

From what I remember, Atwood had 3 cases, 6 each.  I believe he gave a number away and I think was only left with 1 case.  I can't remember if he also had other boxes or it was in a list but he had a TON of other stuff too.  I think in total it was close to 200 cases alone (all holding 6 games each)

I was thinking it was two cases. Maybe @MinusWorlds can clear that up.