IGNORED

Favorite Games You've Never Beaten

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

It feels off to say a game is one of my favorites when I've never actually made it to the end, but more often than not, this is the case.

Some prime examples for me would be... 

Darius Twin

Image Fight

Kwirk

Ninja Gaiden

Ristar

Solomon's Key

Star Soldier

What are your favorite games that you've never actually cleared?

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Breath of the Wild.

I'm 70+ hours in but have put off resolution.

It's weird but I kind of like having unresolved mystery to it.  Like it's this big whole thing I can always look forward to.

After that's it's a pretty steep drop off.  I'd wager I've cleared the other 99 games in my top 100.

• Like 2

I almost never finish games, even if I love the experience. Top ones over the years that come to mind:

• Xenogears
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Super Mario Bros (without cheating, anyway)
  • Yo! Noid
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Kart 8 (as in all trophies/all engines)
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

I almost never finish games, even if I love the experience. Top ones over the years that come to mind:

• Xenogears
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Yo! Noid
  • Super Mario Odyssey

I think in your case the better question is which of your favorite games have you beat? 😛

Indirectly I think it would be fair to say Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, only because I've never got a chance to actually play it, yet I have, due to the more speedy conversion Lunar Legend for the Gameboy Advance, which I did finish (I think, pretty sure.) 😛

• Like 1

Sonic 2 - My favorite of the Genesis Sonic trilogy and the only one I haven't beaten (without cheating). The final boss always got me.

Suikoden II - I loved this game (and the first one) and got pretty deep into it, but for some reason that I can't remember I stopped playing and never went back to finish it.

Super Mario 3D World - I was deep into this game and really enjoying it when my Wii U died on me. Some issue with the hard drive. I have since gotten it fixed, but with my save file gone, I just haven't found the time to start this one back up again.

• Like 1

Ketsui.

Sure, I've cleared the first loop tons of times.  And I've even cleared the 2nd Omote loop, which has special requirements and is very, very hard in of itself.  But that doesn't get you the true ending.  To do that you need to beat the Ura loop, which in order to enter you need to clear the first loop without bombing or dying while also scoring 120 million points.

From there you must deal with ridiculously dense suicide bullet clouds and vastly more difficult boss fights.  Get through all that and you have to beat the true last boss, which while being one of the "easier" TLBs cave has made, the requirements just to reach it are insanely high.  It basically requires you to plan out each second of the game to excruciating detail while also executing your route flawlessly.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, peg said:

Ketsui.

Sure, I've cleared the first loop tons of times.  And I've even cleared the 2nd Omote loop, which has special requirements and is very, very hard in of itself.  But that doesn't get you the true ending.  To do that you need to beat the Ura loop, which in order to enter you need to clear the first loop without bombing or dying while also scoring 120 million points.

From there you must deal with ridiculously dense suicide bullet clouds and vastly more difficult boss fights.  Get through all that and you have to beat the true last boss, which while being one of the "easier" TLBs cave has made, the requirements just to reach it are insanely high.  It basically requires you to plan out each second of the game to excruciating detail while also executing your route flawlessly.

Good shout to Ketsui, it's up there for me as well. I love shooters and it's a great one, but I am by no means a floating mass of absolute perfection so I'll never see the true ending myself.

• Like 2

Not necessarily my favorite, but one that comes to mind is Jurassic Park for the SNES.  I loved that game and played the hell out of it.  I almost finished it one time.  I completed every mission objective and made it back to the helipad, but you also have to find every Raptor egg, and I was missing one.  I looked all over, but never found it so I never technically completed the game.  

Axiom Verge is also up there.  I really enjoyed that game, but never got around to finishing it completely.  I need to try that one again sometime.  

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted
On 8/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, RH said:

• Xenogears
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Yo! Noid
  • Super Mario Odyssey

On 8/1/2021 at 5:16 PM, Link said:

Same. I’m not gud.

First to mind are Bloodrayne, Viewtiful Joe, Alien Hominid, Rayman Origins, Little Samson, any Ninja Gaiden or Double Dragon. 

It's actually encouraging to hear I'm not the only one (presumably) with a low skill-ceiling for games haha.

I've only ever beaten Super Mario Bros by exploiting the infinite lives trick, and I couldn't beat the true final boss of Little Samson on Normal Mode either.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

My top one is probably Bubble Bobble? I can do maybe around stage 60-70 tops, it's an amazingly difficult game, and I really want to sit down and put myself into it some time. But I really, really wish I had someone else to spar with. For such a popular game, very few people seem to play it more than casually.
Same for Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories, though those games are less ubiquitous.

I absolutely love The Ninja Warriors Again, but I have never been able to beat it.
I think I've reached the final stage before using my first continue, but I switched up to attempting Hard Mode before ever getting a clear on normal.

I'm also not sure I'll ever be able to beat Ibara, but what an amazing game it is.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

most games...? Haha. I was thinking about this actually. Back before I had a little one in the house, I'd dive deep into something like Skyrim or GTA5, and spend 20-30 hrs dicking around and exploring before I even started the story missions. Then I'd play through the actual game, adding another 20-30 hrs playtime. Nowadays, I don't have that kind of time. So even stuff that I love, I don't always see through to the end. Dragon Quest XI comes to mind. That's a game that I absolutely adored, and spent a couple weeks with every night before bed, and yet, I know that when I finally got distracted by another game I was still only like 2/3rds of the way through. I loved every moment with that game and hold it in high regard, but it's still not beaten. It's always in the back of my mind that someday I'll come back to it.

Maybe a more glaring example is BOTW. I've played that one is spurts since 2017, but I'm still nowhere close to the end. And in a way, I almost don't care if I ever finish it. I love that game, and I have fun w/ it every time I boot it up. But I'm content with it being a sort of sandbox world that I continually revisit even if I don't have an ending to reference.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Beyond Good and Evil

I LOVE the game - played it near release on PS2 - and for whatever reason, never ended up finishing it (who knows, something life got in the way).  It is on my backlog list this year, so I hope to get back around to it and start over / finally finish it.  We'll see!

As I mentioned in another thread, Rad Racer is another game that I have a lot of hours in, but never beaten.  I can get pretty far, but I've never played the final race.

Also, I will add any GTA game.  I've played all of the mainline series game, but never beaten any of them.  GTA3 is probably the one I've played the furthest, but for most of those games, I just enjoy driving around the environment and getting into trouble.  

• Like 1