VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rad Racer 2!

BeaIank

8 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Speedometer. 

This is what I think of when I hear that word:

speedometer.png

And this to me is an Indicator or Readout

MPH Indicator.png

You Dare To Jest At My Vulcan-Like Approach To Rad Racer?

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PII said:

Time left on the clock only matters if you finish the game, otherwise it's progress and in the event of a tie it comes down to the shortest "lap"(checkpoint) times for the unfinished race.  So presumably a pic of the overhead of the track w/progress at the end is worthless in a tie situation if the other party has the screen pic just before the race ends because as far as I can tell there is no accurate way to reconcile progress on the dashboard meter with progress on the map at the end.  If this is otherwise, someone please enlighten me.  

Also, it seems to be impossible to pause the game with the timer MPH Indicator at Zero.  As soon as you hit zero it goes to the overhead pic of the track, so pause has to occur no later than 01 sec. remaining.

I was meaning if you beat a level, but didn't take a pic of the next "furthest progress", your defsuly would be previous level 0 time remaining if you didn't get a time, no? Am I making sense? Lol

1 hour ago, PII said:

Most frustrating thing so far is definitely that stalled and/or turtle paced car that comes up out of NOWHERE and seemingly always in my lane...

Thats whats kicking my ass. My son is away at my parents, so Ive had lots of time tonight. Those bastards come out of nowhere on 7. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

I was meaning if you beat a level, but didn't take a pic of the next "furthest progress", your defsuly would be previous level 0 time remaining if you didn't get a time, no? Am I making sense? Lol

Gotcha.

40 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i noticed the drift right away. not sure if i like it more than the stiff control of the original. ive still only played the first stage.

Yeah, that drift takes some getting used to alright.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Look up... look way up... dude's so high up the leaderboard you can't even see him from where you're sitting 😉

all that regular season hype and your gonna get knocked out by me first round of the tourney 🤣 ill sneak in a low seed. chip and a chair baby!

i feel like im doing pretty good for only playing 4 weeks so far. i nearly have half as many points as you playing every week. 

Edited by docile tapeworm

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

RAD RACER POO

haha, sorry Vegas just got me angry!

Seriously. Is it thr last lap for you too?

Also a questionnfor everyone else but whrn you cross a lap, does the counter reset to a specific time for the next lap or does it add a certain amount of time to your clock like a nornal racer?

I might be wrong because it can be hard to checknwhen you are intently racing but it feels like you hit a check point and the game resets the clock to a preset countdown for the current lap.

Events Team · Posted

The map pictures won't be needed. I will only refer to lap 01 and lap 02 times for tiebreak.
As long as I can see the lap times for lap 1 and 2 in your picture if you didn't finish the game, it is all good.

Post the stage and the picture and I will do the rest of the dirty work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

The map pictures won't be needed. I will only refer to lap 01 and lap 02 times for tiebreak.
As long as I can see the lap times for lap 1 and 2 in your picture if you didn't finish the game, it is all good.

Post the stage and the picture and I will do the rest of the dirty work.

I appreciate the map photos though. It makes me feel better about crapping out right before the goal line when I see everyone else doing the same thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RH said:

Seriously. Is it thr last lap for you too?

Also a questionnfor everyone else but whrn you cross a lap, does the counter reset to a specific time for the next lap or does it add a certain amount of time to your clock like a nornal racer?

I might be wrong because it can be hard to checknwhen you are intently racing but it feels like you hit a check point and the game resets the clock to a preset countdown for the current lap.

This is a really good question and ive been wondering the same thing. Ive always assumed you do get the extra time you saved on lap 1 added into lap 2, but may be wrong. But thats where I think you guys are running into problems in vegas. I was crapping out at the end of that race some Monday, and it seemed like it wasnt the last lap that would hurt me. Once I stopped the early crashes in leg 1, my leg 3 problems went away like that. 

And thats really a big hint to anyone struggling. Priorities 1 thru 5 are dont crash. I cant remember EVER having a crashless run of any level and not finishing. But thats easier said than done. Further you get, less predictable/controllable the other cars get

I honestly don't crash often.  I often get triple-blocked or I get behind an "aggressive".  So far the best strategy I've found with the aggies is to simply brake, let them disappear and then accelerate.  The aggies are sometimes impassible when you are on a track with a LOT of turns... like Vegas.

@BeaIank I know I'm new to these competitions but I'm going to ask for a clarification.

I assume "cheating" is considered hacking the game.  Otherwise, with each game we need to specify which game "features" are cheating.

Stage skipping should, obviously, be cheating right? (Hold B and push Up for every level you want to skip.)

I looked at all of the rules.  Depending on interpretation, this might  not be considered cheating on a technicality.

Note, this is a good way to practice a level if you are using a NES and not an emulator.

I also give personal bonus points (which are worthless no doubt) for anyone who beats this game in "Dark Mode".  Has... anyone done that, ever?

Edited by RH

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

Stage skipping should, obviously, be cheating right? (Hold B and push Up for every level you want to skip.)

Stage skipping is considered cheating in a further progress game unless the rules state otherwise (aka the new Battletoads rules).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RH said:

I honestly don't crash often.  I often get triple-blocked or I get behind an "aggressive".  So far the best strategy I've found with the aggies is to simply brake, let them disappear and then accelerate.  The aggies are sometimes impassible when you are on a track with a LOT of turns... like Vegas.

Too much slow down without crashing can easily kill a run as well, particularly in later levels.  Priorities 6 - 10 are don't slow down.