IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rad Racer 2!

BeaIank

Member · Posted
17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This one seems more unfair right off the bat. Like the two cars right in front of you at the start of the second race. Crash into them and lose a bunch of time and it's over. The first Rad Racer at least starts out easier than this.

Sounds like you are not using the boost option to start. At start of race OR anytime you crash and find your car at 0 mph, hold the down button until the meter on the bottom right fills up. If you hit down to quickly, it doesnt work, so release and try again.  When the last line turns from grey to white, hit the gas and you will jump from 0 to max speed (255) immediately. Ive crashed 3 or 4 times on race 2 and still finished using the boost start after the crashes. For later stages, you dont have time to crash and recover (much, if at all depending on how far you are into the game). 

As for the rest of the griping, I feel like @BeaIank needs to show up here and explain just how whiny everyone is being. 

Member · Posted
2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

can you imagine what a champ you would have been to beat some races with no turbo! i admit i forgot about it until about 2/3 through the first race too lol.

Sorry for double post, but Ive been in and out of court reading the thread in reverse. My response to @mbd39is obviously moot based on earlier posts I just read. Good luck, Michael. You will get it. Remember, there are speeds between 0 and max. Not crashing is way more important than running 250 the whole time. 

Skinny, its funny you mentioned that. No bs, i did beat the game without using a single boost when I first bought it, so it IS possible. I didnt know that option existed and happened to pick up the cart when I had a week off work. I played like a fiend for 3 hard days and got to see the credits. Havent seen them since and that was prob 5 years ago. 

Fast forward to this year, I tried to beat it for completions thread here and couldn't do it. I learned about the boost looking stuff up online, but still couldn't get through level 7 after a few days of trying. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Member · Posted

Technically, I've played this exactly once before to test it out briefly when I acquired the cart a few years ago.

Observations so far:

The one thing I recalled going into this was not liking the on-going need to keep pressing up when I want to focus on steering, but after a solid week of intense Antarctic Adventuring this now feels entirely normal...

Also, I noticed this game's superior ability to portray the rise and fall of the road and even a bit of banking compared to the original.  It looks really nice.  And the handling is much smoother, but also a bit loosey-goosey compared to the more stiff/rigid controls of the first, which could be a + or a - depending on the gamer...

• Like 1

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

The way the other cars aggressively try to bump you off the road is obnoxious and it's like there are constantly three in front of you. But the checkpoints are so strict that if you slow down a little too much to deal with them you'll run out of time.

The original Rad Racer is not this rough in the early going. No way.

Edited by mbd39

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Sounds like you are not using the boost option to start. At start of race OR anytime you crash and find your car at 0 mph, hold the down button until the meter on the bottom right fills up. If you hit down to quickly, it doesnt work, so release and try again.  When the last line turns from grey to white, hit the gas and you will jump from 0 to max speed (255) immediately. Ive crashed 3 or 4 times on race 2 and still finished using the boost start after the crashes. For later stages, you dont have time to crash and recover (much, if at all depending on how far you are into the game). 

As for the rest of the griping, I feel like @BeaIank needs to show up here and explain just how whiny everyone is being. 

SHHH there is no booooost!

• Haha 2

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, nesmaster14 said:

"Sing Yourself" #neverforget

While not as classic as the first, I actually prefer the handling in this one. The car can kinda drift around corners, feels satisfying.  

I actually had no idea that you could change the radio station. I don't think I like the music though, it takes away from the car sounds which help me for whatever odd reason.

• Like 1

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, PII said:

Also, I noticed this game's superior ability to portray the rise and fall of the road and even a bit of banking compared to the original.  It looks really nice.  And the handling is much smoother, but also a bit loosey-goosey compared to the more stiff/rigid controls of the first, which could be a + or a - depending on the gamer...

Between this and @nesmaster14post about the handling, that pretty well sums up my thoughts on why the sequel is superior and why I havent ever gone back to rr1 since getting rr2. Its also just prettier. 

Member · Posted
10 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Between this and @nesmaster14post about the handling, that pretty well sums up my thoughts on why the sequel is superior and why I havent ever gone back to rr1 since getting rr2. Its also just prettier. 

Yeah, once you learn to manage/deal with/get past/eliminate the frustration that comes with the even more aggressive competitor cars in this one I'd say it's just as fun as the original and probably more so.

Member · Posted

Just want to say one thing RR2 100% has over the original is not mapping the radio to the down button. I accidentally change the music in Rad Racer so often that I usually just mute the TV when I play it now, because it's incredibly distracting. Which is a shame because I like the music.

• Like 1

Member · Posted
47 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This review sums up how the game feels when you're starting out. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to know about the turbo boost, but I feel his pain regardless.

This guy has some shit going on that goes way beyond rad racer 2. 

Why is he so concerned with the speed being "exaggerated?" This isnt 100, this isnt 200. How the crap does he know? There isnt some uniform feel for speeds across nes racing games made by different publishers. 60 mphs in the pro am series is like 150 on most games. 

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, PII said:

Just to make sure I'm on the board bright and early...

Stage 6  Rocky Mountains   (just before 1st checkpoint)

6 Rocky Mountains 1st Checkpoint.png

According to the rules you have to get a picture before it reaches this screen so that Bea can see your lap times. Ugh.

Member · Posted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This guy has some shit going on that goes way beyond rad racer 2. 

Why is he so concerned with the speed being "exaggerated?" This isnt 100, this isnt 200. How the crap does he know? There isnt some uniform feel for speeds across nes racing games made by different publishers. 60 mphs in the pro am series is like 150 on most games. 

To be fair the speed is highly exaggerated. They obviously changed kilometers to mph without any converting so it looks silly.

I'm also getting so close to beating the third race.

Member · Posted
8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

According to the rules you have to get a picture before it reaches this screen so that Bea can see your lap times. Ugh.

Ugh, indeed.  Now it's not just a race, I've got to play chicken with the timer as well.  Thanks though.

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Yes, but if no lap times are recorded wouldn't it default to 0 time left?

Time left on the clock only matters if you finish the game, otherwise it's progress and in the event of a tie it comes down to the shortest "lap"(checkpoint) times for the unfinished race.  So presumably a pic of the overhead of the track w/progress at the end is worthless in a tie situation if the other party has the screen pic just before the race ends because as far as I can tell there is no accurate way to reconcile progress on the dashboard meter with progress on the map at the end.  If this is otherwise, someone please enlighten me.  

Also, it seems to be impossible to pause the game with the timer MPH Indicator at Zero.  As soon as you hit zero it goes to the overhead pic of the track, so pause has to occur no later than 01 sec. remaining.

Edited by PII

Member · Posted
2 minutes ago, PII said:

Time left on the clock only matters if you finish the game, otherwise it's progress and in the event of a tie it comes down to the shortest "lap"(checkpoint) times for the unfinished race.  So presumably a pic of the overhead of the track w/progress at the end is worthless in a tie situation if the other party has the screen pic just before the race ends because as far as I can tell there is no accurate way to reconcile progress on the dashboard meter with progress on the map at the end.  If this is otherwise, someone please enlighten me.  

Also, it seems to be impossible to pause the game with the timer at Zero.  As soon as you hit zero it goes to the overhead pic of the track, so pause has to occur no later than 01 sec. remaining.

You can pause when timer reaches 0, you just can't pause after your car completely stops.

• BeaIank unpinned this topic