IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rad Racer 2!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the NEED for SPEED!

This week our competitors will be hitting the pedal to the metal to prove who is the fastest driver at RAD RACER 2!
The rules are speedy:

• Play till game over or till you beat the game
  • Take your picture when your time reach 0 or your beat the game
  • State the stage you were at when you got game over
  • The winner will be decided by progress with the following rules for tie break
    • For entries that didn't beat the game, the lowest sum of 1st and 2nd laps time wins
    • For entries that beat the game, largest amount of seconds left on the clock wins.
  • Genre: Racing

10_RadRacer_II_Sage.png.6640da48f4f14790

Hit the gas, players!

The contest ends Sunday, 05/30/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
1st PII Stage 8 - Clear
1st Mega Tank Stage 8 - Clear
3rd Jeevan Stage 8 - 1:35''3
4th NESfiend Stage 8 - 9:59''9
5th docile tapeworm Stage 7 - 2:02''9
6th nesmaster14 Stage 6 - 1:43''0
7th dvertov Stage 5 - 1:55''2
8th Dr. Morbis Stage 5 - 1:56''0
9th RH Stage 5 - 1:56''4
10th FireHazard51 Stage 5 - 9:59''9
11th JamesRobot Stage 4 - 1:48''3
12th bertsampson Stage 3 - 2:01''8
13th mbd39 Stage 3 - 2:02''2
14th 0xDEAFC0DE Stage 3 - 2:02''5
15th Ausden Stage 2 - 1:52''6
16th Krunch Stage 2 - 9:59''9
  • Like 2

I LOVED Rad Racer when I was a kid. I didn't get to try this one until a few years ago and I was disappointed because it felt like a game they started, it could have been better but it was rushed to get out the door and it feels incomplete.

I'm not expecting an OG Rad Racer experience, but I'm glad to have a reason to give this one a legit second try.

8 hours ago, PII said:

My only reason for not having played this game yet is that I still haven't quite beaten the original Rad Racer.

Now that I'm giving it a second chance, I actually like it better than my first impression.  When I tried to google some details yesterday, one righter said "it's less a sequel and more a retread of the original".  In many respects, it is, but it's still a good NES racer.

The main features I wish it had were multiple vehicles (at least 3 would have been nice, since the original had 2) and it'd be nice if each one had something nuanced about it that made it difference in performance.  I still think the took the original engine, modified the tracks and sprites a bit and just shipped it out the door trying to make a last hurrah NES cash grab but it's by no means a bad racer.  It's just more of the same, with less features. 

I'd rate this game a 6.5 out of 10.  If there was no original, and had I played this as a kid, I might give it as much as an 8.  For me, this has a good balance of challenge.  Not to hard, but not to easy.  For me, if/when I beat it, it will feel like a nice accomplishment, but this does still feel beatable.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Oh this game. The turns sneak up and you if you're not careful. I do remember that much lol

True, but there is an indicator on the HUD that tells you when the turns or straight aways are about to come up in a second or two.

34 minutes ago, RH said:

True, but there is an indicator on the HUD that tells you when the turns or straight aways are about to come up in a second or two.

I know, it's the timing in slowing down I can't get quite right. Slow down too much you lose valuable seconds. Slow down too little, BAM, right inti a sign/tree lol

Im 

14 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

think ill take this one for a spin

You missed some pretty intense penguin racin last week. Should be a strategic edge for you though. My thumb is still dragging on the ground, useless from wear. Skinny coming in fresh. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Do you also dislike beer, ice cream or christmas? How about swimming pools and boating? 

not a fan of beer, whiskey is good, ice cream, only if it is vanilla with butterscotch topping, and christmas i despise 😉  

swimming pools are ok as long as they aren't deep as i cant swim, and boating i would be a fan of if i could swim in deep water lol

Anymore questions?  🤨

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

not a fan of beer, whiskey is good, ice cream, only if it is vanilla with butterscotch topping, and christmas i despise 😉  

swimming pools are ok as long as they aren't deep as i cant swim, and boating i would be a fan of if i could swim in deep water lol

Anymore questions?  🤨

Lol you are a strange cat, jeeves. Its cool though. And butterscotch is a legit topping. You obviously liked the penguin racer enough to put up a real score. This isnt THAT much different 

As for @mbd39, if youve never played rr2, right now seems like the perfect time. I dont see how anyone can love rad racer 1 and hate the sequel. They just arent that different 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

😎 I don't claim to be anything different!!!!!  BTW, up to 265 on my n64 collection 😉  

🤤

Dammmmn 265? You are right there. And youve already got worms armageddon. The most important of the heavy hitters. 

This week, you need to channel that inner Ricky Bobby. I know you want to go fast jeeves. 

• Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Dammmmn 265? You are right there. And youve already got worms armageddon. The most important of the heavy hitters. 

This week, you need to channel that inner Ricky Bobby. I know you want to go fast jeeves. 

I can't get passed what seems to be an inaccurate version of las vegas blvd.  😒

I come within 1 dot of finishing every damned time!!!!!!!

This game sux!!!!!   

Antarctic Adventure FTW

• Haha 2