IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rad Racer 2!

BeaIank

5 hours ago, Jeevan said:

technically he said the ugliest cart that he owned!

Also, is it bad that i hate this as much as you hate tetris??????

Fug rad racer 2!!!!!!

technically shmechnically. he should own an "uglier" cart than that!

let the hate flow through you. yes, yes

i was born and raised in the fl keys, so its fun for me that key west (i presume thats us1) is the first map lol

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, RH said:

I LOVED Rad Racer when I was a kid. I didn't get to try this one until a few years ago and I was disappointed because it felt like a game they started, it could have been better but it was rushed to get out the door and it feels incomplete.

I'm not expecting an OG Rad Racer experience, but I'm glad to have a reason to give this one a legit second try.

I played this some yesterday and I didn't really care for it. Rad Racer is one of my favorite NES racing games, but this one falls flat for some reason.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played this some yesterday and I didn't really care for it. Rad Racer is one of my favorite NES racing games, but this one falls flat for some reason.

It's actually amazing how well the original Rad Racer holds up considering its age.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

technically shmechnically. he should own an "uglier" cart than that!

let the hate flow through you. yes, yes

I've got an old rental copy of John Elway's Quarterback that is probably worse but nobody wants to see that crap.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If one more person says they love rr1 and hate rr2, Im pretty sure my head will explode. Its not even a come vs pepsi type comparison. Its more like cherry coke in a can vs fountain coke with a splash of grenadine. Its damn near the same game!

• Haha 1

How the fuck are you meant to take those sharp turns? If you slam on the brakes you run out of time. But you have to slam on the brakes. Why is the first race as hard as the later races in the first game? I must be doing something wrong.

12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've tried a bunch of times and I can't even beat the first track. This is unplayable.

EDIT: I just checked the manual and there's a turbo boost? Maybe I'm supposed to use that.

can you imagine what a champ you would have been to beat some races with no turbo! i admit i forgot about it until about 2/3 through the first race too lol.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It's actually amazing how well the original Rad Racer holds up considering its age.

We all know it's a linear, console clone of Out Run.  Yes... I am willing to admit this even though I'm an OG fan, but Out Run is a SEGA game so I don't mind that it was a copy cat.  I've not played all of them but to me it was by far the best racer on the NES.  R. C. Pro Am probably being #2.

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

can you imagine what a champ you would have been to beat some races with no turbo! i admit i forgot about it until about 2/3 through the first race too lol.

Even with the boost at the beginning the first race is kicking my ass. The first game is nowhere near this unforgiving in the early races.

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've tried a bunch of times and I can't even beat the first track. This is unplayable.

EDIT: I just checked the manual and there's a turbo boost? Maybe I'm supposed to use that.

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

How the fuck are you meant to take those sharp turns? If you slam on the brakes you run out of time. But you have to slam on the brakes. Why is the first race as hard as the later races in the first game? I must be doing something wrong.

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything about this because this game seems like my best chance to actually place in the top 10 and, dare I hope, top 5.  But since you've already brought it up.

The boost helps a lot.  It feels like you're wasting time on the starting line, but it helps to charge and shoot off.  It also helps if/when you wreck.

Regarding sharp turns, the key is to always race around 230ish MPH and DO NOT keep your finger on the turbo button.  You can hold down/tap gas but take it easy and you can make most turns without braking.

I didn't know about the turbo until I'd made it to stage 3.  This game really, really is a lot like RR1.  If you've played that one a lot, you should be familiar with enemies.  There is also one "trick" I've noticed.  It might not be true, but it seems the AI behaves a certain way under certain conditions.  I'm gonna keep that card to my chest because I can't give away everything for free, plus I might be wrong.  Maybe I think I've spotted a pattern, but I could be wrong.

Unrelated, there is nothing more infuriating in this game than when the AI determines to make an aggressive opponent.  I don't know why it does this, but it seems about every tenth opponent/car you pass just decides to ram you off the road.  To my knowledge, it's fast and unavoidable.  So you can't really pass them, or you have to let them nail you so they go away.  It's the worst part of the game, but it's manageable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

anybody else just get stuck behind a straight blockade of 3 cars though. wtf lol.

Patience... patience.

The more I play it, the more I think they might have actually tried to make this game a bit different. I still think it's a rush job but I think they started with RR1 for the base code and then made some tweaks as improvements.  However, they never got to add the polish and worthwhile features, so we have this.

Regarding the 3-car pattern, the key is to just trail behind and patiently wait for a straight away and a right opportunity.  Once a car disappears off the screen, if you quickly cut them off, the seem to be "wiped" from the games memory.  They can't bump you in the rear or anything, so if you're just patient and tail the fastest car, you can usually cut off the second-fastest car at some point and then you're golden.  Boost/accelerate past the remaining cars and you're good.  Of course, even being caught in a "sandwich" isn't bad.  I've found that being knocked back and forth kind of slows them and you down, but it does clear them off the screen.  If you are between two cars, there is no harm.  I rarely get knocked off the track when I ricochet off of two cars.  In fact, a better player could likely find a way to use that type of gameplay to their advantage.  I never intentionally bump into opponents, but the behavior is often consistent and rarely crashes out.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

If one more person says they love rr1 and hate rr2, Im pretty sure my head will explode. Its not even a come vs pepsi type comparison. Its more like cherry coke in a can vs fountain coke with a splash of grenadine. Its damn near the same game!

Im not sure i like either, i only played rad racer on the nwc, but if its anything like this one 🤮

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

This one seems more unfair right off the bat. Like the two cars right in front of you at the start of the second race. Crash into them and lose a bunch of time and it's over. The first Rad Racer at least starts out easier than this.