IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rad Racer 2!

BeaIank

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

i have yet to make it to the third leg of stage 7..... im only i  for maybe 10 trys so far. i might get a couple more runs in.

FUN GAME.

just as good as the original imo. maybe better. im buas with nostalgia though as while i was playingbrealized this wqs a child hood rental. stage 2 made the light bulb and fuzzies fo off 💪🏻🤘🏻

I only got a couple runs in tonight and they both ended just short on leg 2 of level 7. That leg is pretty straight, but it throws so many stalled out cars, you have to have a few of the tough ones memorized to have a shot. Holiday weekend made it tough. Too much beer, sun, and travel, but this game is awesome. 

@PII should weigh in, but I think thats the toughest stretch of the game. When I did beat it back in the day, I remember struggling there forever, but then getting through 8 pretty quick. May have just been luck, but the pink background of 7 is def what comes to mind. Want to hate that level, but its so pleasing to the eye, makes it tough

31 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@PII should weigh in, but I think thats the toughest stretch of the game. When I did beat it back in the day, I remember struggling there forever, but then getting through 8 pretty quick. May have just been luck, but the pink background of 7 is def what comes to mind. Want to hate that level, but its so pleasing to the eye, makes it tough

It was a rough spot until a few notes were made - there's a stall in the right lane on a right turn always I'm pretty sure and most of the others will be in the middle lane, once in while it'll throw a stall in the left, but you've got to be ready for a couple of hard rights so that makes things just a little dicey.  There's one stall on the last right turn that also happens every time I think, and it you happen to crash with anything less than about 4 sec. left you will neither be able to charge turbo nor limp across the finish line even though the checkered flags are practically right in front of you.

Correction: I thought you were talking about the third leg...

2nd leg really wasn't bad, just burn the turbo the whole way and watch out for those 3 stalls in the left lane toward the end...

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

I burned it for the better part of 3 hours here this evening hoping to put some extra time on the clock after a Clear and came very close on one run that got ruined by a very annoying 3rd leg crash.  It wasn't even caused by a harsh turn but rather hitting the back of another racer, oh wells.

Thankfully it didn't happen very often, but every once in a blue moon I'd be watching the screen intently to see my car suddenly going very slow for some crazy reason, think "WTF!" and then realizing that although I'm holding up for turbo I'm not applying "A" for gas at all.  OH YEAH!, It's not a Penguin, it's a Race Car!  It needs Gas!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

im buas with nostalgia though as while i was playingbrealized this wqs a child hood rental. stage 2 made the light bulb and fuzzies fo off

It's been far too long since I've known the joy of interpreting one of wormy's more choice phrasings, lol.

The Wormy Interp.png

• Haha 1

@NESfiend ill have to play this one some more this week and get to the end. i only made it to stage 7 probably 3 times so i didnt have much time to learn it. i remember thinking "damn its a straight line why cant i get through it" so i payed attention and looks like you dont get much time to make it through. one wreck and thats it. them damn blue cars that blend in though...can barely see them sometimes.

This got me back into the original Rad Racer which I've been trying to beat without continues. I came close in the 2017 tournament but never quite done it.

RR1 is legit one of the toughest NES games to beat without continues and it kills my hand like nothing else. I can only do so many tries before my thumb really hurts.

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This got me back into the original Rad Racer which I've been trying to beat without continues. I came close in the 2017 tournament but never quite done it.

RR1 is legit one of the toughest NES games to beat without continues and it kills my hand like nothing else. I can only do so many tries before my thumb really hurts.

i beat wampson by default in 2016 he had vacation or something. 2017?...oh. i see. terris knocked me out lol.

c'mon mbd you can do it. its always funny we have our favorites. guy is a grand champion at marble madness buy cant handle smb3, any shooter or rad racer 🙂 

15 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i beat wampson by default in 2016 he had vacation or something. 2017?...oh. i see. terris knocked me out lol.

c'mon mbd you can do it. its always funny we have our favorites. guy is a grand champion at marble madness buy cant handle smb3, any shooter or rad racer 🙂 

I'm terrible at most shooters. I can no death Legendary Wings though.

In 2017 you should've played Rad Racer and I should've played Tetris. That was funny.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

hey! lol i do everything on this little iphone keyboard so sometimes my thumbs man! add a few drinks and its like a free for all. 

lol, figured as much.  I just like how that first sentence in particular totally comes off like the man from another place's backwards talk, almost like a riddle or something...

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

Well I'm surprised at how I feel about this game but if I keep playing, I think I might like this more than the original.  My earlier/original impressions partially stand up.  I'm not sure why this was released without a few more tweaks, but I think the dev team might have been more focused on adding small adjustments, tweaks and obstacles.

I really, really liked this game and for every obstacle, with enough experimentation and practice, you can find way around them.  Seeing the turns helps a lot.  There are set speeds and ways to handle turns and you can make them without crashing.  There are patterns to how the enemies drive and once you learn them all, you can get past them.  Being aggressive pays off at some points too, and that's really awesome.

Every level feels like it has it's specific design.  Some have a lot of cars but mostly straight-aways.  Some get you comfortable with the straight shots, to throw a sharp turn at you.  Then there are the aggressive "bosses" which I still think are random.  Actually, I think the aggressive cars only show up when you are "doing to well".  It's cheap, but I seem to recall almost only seeing those cars when I was on a great, fast run.  I think the devs made it so you can't fly through each level without some form of challenge.  I understand their reasoning, but it feels cheap to throw a car in front of the driver who's only goal is to block you as best it can.  But, even those are beatable.  Just wait for the right turn, bump and pass.

Rad Racer 1 was a classic but it was pretty straight forward.  Once you learned a basic strategy, all you had to do was play it.  RR2 is a bit more nuanced.  It feels unbalanced or broken at first but after many iterations of gameplay, it almost feels like it was designed this way, and you can learn patterns of practice to master this game.

I have still only beaten Vegas once.  I warp skipped past it and I was easily able to beat 6 and 7 didn't feel unfair and I beat it on my first try, but I lost the few times I played 8 (which you can't stage-skip to, if you try.)

So yeah, this a great racer and I'm glad I bought it a long time ago, but I wish I had gave it a much better try.  I definitely think I'm going to pick it up again to see if I can one day beat this.  I give it an 8/10.

• Like 3

i feel like i enjoy this game more than the original...but not sure why. i feel like the gameplay is fantastic. i never studied any of  it. i just wheeled it every run. imo the turn signal thing was plenty info. i think "simg yourself" is hilarious and made me laugh every time 😆 @Krunch i "feel it" from this game, maybe more than the original. idk but when you got that B humming at 245-250 no turbo on a nice stretch....had me pumped! like "FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU YA BABY!!!!!" 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

The one thing I prefer over the original in this game is that you can't change music during the race. Accidentally changing the music is the most annoying aspect of the first game.

I actually never new it worked that way until someone mentioned it a few days ago.  I always used to notice that the music would tend to kick in whenever I had a close scrape with another car and thought it was very appropo. when that would happen, always rather liked that seemingly spontaneous change up..

@RH Vegas = The middle lane is not your friend - So many slow and stalled cars almost perpetually flowing down it = watch like a hawk and transition through it when necessary, but don't linger there.  Took me a while to notice this for whatever reason, but when I did I finally got consistent on the stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1