IGNORED

Last Funeral You Attended?

jonebone

Not for a gloomy thread, but perhaps maybe just a place for reflection or appreciation of life.  

I had to attend my wife's grandfather's funeral this week.  He lived two doors down from us (we built on the family farm) so family is very important in her life.  One of those situations where he had been going downhill for many years so everyone knew it was coming, and truthfully he is in a better place.  That is one thing I do worry about as I age, hoping that that I will continue to preserve my body and health and not become a burden onto others.

So yes, RIP to those who have passed and perhaps a spot to reflect on how someone made an impact on your life. 

My dad died back in February (brain tumor - recurred after 20 years of remission) and my granddad died in September (complications from hip surgery). 

I did both eulogies.

I don't recommend it.

"Most recent" was last weekend, though, for a guy I knew at church (rare bile duct cancer).

It was somewhat cathartic to be able to be a more passive participant.

• Sad 1

Moderator · Posted

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been to a funeral thankfully. My mom went through a major health scare earlier this year that shook me. Almost lost her to sepsis. It’s tough watching your loved ones grow old, and even tougher watching someone not that old go down due to disease, accidents, etc...

My dad's was a few years ago. That was the last I actually attended. Military funeral, taps, flag, whole package. Getting his headstone from the VA was a comical ordeal, though, and still makes me laugh.

My cousin passed earlier this year, but I wasn't able to attend. 😞

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

My dad died back in February (brain tumor - recurred after 20 years of remission) and my granddad died in September (complications from hip surgery). 

I did both eulogies.

I don't recommend it.

"Most recent" was last weekend, though, for a guy I knew at church (rare bile duct cancer).

It was somewhat cathartic to be able to be a more passive participant.

I did my Dad's eulogy too.  I thought I might be doing it right around when they usually do the sermon, but they had me do it near the end.

Right after the most beautiful soul wrenching soloist and violinist version of Ave Maria.    No idea how I stayed composed enough to do it.

Most recent funeral was my wife's grandfather.   The week before that was one of my best friend's father.

13 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I did my Dad's eulogy too.  I thought I might be doing it right around when they usually do the sermon, but they had me do it near the end.

Right after the most beautiful soul wrenching soloist and violinist version of Ave Maria.    No idea how I stayed composed enough to do it.

Well, fortunately, nobody expects you to really keep it together during your parents' eulogy.

I went into it, thinking it was expected of me, as the oldest son, and hoping that it would be cathartic to work through how I hoped he'd be remembered.

But it was nowhere near as cathartic as I'd hoped, though I'm definitely glad that I did it.

(and in my grandfather's case, as well -- though that was at the direct request of my granddad after I did my dad's eulogy)

10 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Well, fortunately, nobody expects you to really keep it together during your parents' eulogy.

I went into it, thinking it was expected of me, as the oldest son, and hoping that it would be cathartic to work through how I hoped he'd be remembered.

But it was nowhere near as cathartic as I'd hoped, though I'm definitely glad that I did it.

(and in my grandfather's case, as well -- though that was at the direct request of my granddad after I did my dad's eulogy)

That's true, but I wanted to at least be as composed as possible.   I did have it all printed out just in case so my brother-in-law could step in if he had to.

My reasoning for doing it was more that his church had a newer priest that didn't know him (my Dad had some major mobility issues his last few years), so I wanted something better for him than the quick blurb from our conversation with the priest.

The only other one I had done was for one of my friends.   His family had several of us share some stories, but that didn't seem too eulogy-ish.

EDIT- Forgot, I did say a few words at my father-in-law's as well.   The pastor they had must not have read his notes very well (kept calling him Greg instead of Craig), so when they asked if any family wanted to speak I helped get the ball rolling for my wife and her sisters.

• Like 1

Last one was 2 of my unrelated aunts with unrelated cancers on the same day. A brand new funeral home opened in the city with 2 wake rooms in it. They were the first to go through it and both wakes were on the same dates so we had the whole building to ourselves.

So far it has been:

- grandfather = prostate cancer (age 70)

- grandmother = ovarian cancer (age 80 something)

- grandfather = heart attack (age 50 something)

- grandmother = breast cancer (still alive!)

- aunt = breast cancer / brain cancer (age 51)

- aunt = liver cancer (age 51)

So I'm pretty well doomed.

• Sad 1

My best friend's dad this past June.  He'd been like a 2nd father to me since middle school so for about 20 years. He was 64 and had a brain aneurysm after dinner when his wife stepped out to get milk. He just bought a new camper and I was planning to visit them later that week at the camp site for a day. It's surreal to have someone go so quickly. I had had breakfast with him the weekend before and not 7 days later seeing him in a casket. RIP

My grandma passed away last month. She was 91 and has been sick for a while so it was expected. It was a nice ceremony and I saw a lot of relatives I haven't seen in over 10 years and I was really afraid it would be super awkward because of that time gap but we picked up right where we left off. I always thought the lack of communication between us was intentional but I guess everyone just gets so caught up in their lives they forget to reach out. We all said we should keep in  contact from now on and exchanged numbers and said at least get together once or twice a year like we used to. But I'm not getting my hopes up. But at the very least it was nice to have everyone together again even if the occasion wasn't exactly a happy reason.

We went to one for a friend's mom on Tuesday.  Ended up having to leave toward the end of the wake part, before the actual ceremony, as the baby just kept getting louder and louder and wouldn't be silenced (until we were back in the car, at which point she quieted right down).  Before that, it was my grandfather's in February of last year.  Unfortunately, my best friend's dad was right when he told us a few years ago that it was time to buy a nice suit, as we were of the age when funerals were just going to get more and more common for us.

My aunt died of breast cancer last year, and I've got an uncle with prostate cancer dying right now. I flew out to my aunt's funeral back home in the UK, but I doubt I'll get the chance to do the same for my uncle, which is a shame obviously.

Yeah so dying sucks, I reckon, and cancer is pretty rough. I guess they're gonna have that fixed soon tho, right? Cure cancer? Hope so, sounds like something we aught to do.

My father's, in early June. I don't think I fully grasp it yet. Like, the full reality of it. It's strange. It does make you appreciate every day though (even if that's a terrible cliché). 

Also, man do brain cancers suck. You get all the weird personality changes and memory, speech and comprehension issues etc. on top of you know, cancer. 

Edited by Aatos
  • Like 1

Mine is not so obvious.

I didn’t attend my son’s funeral, or burial. It was all done in secret. I still haven’t visited his crypt yet either.

Ive had plenty of extended family pass away since then, but thankfully no close family members.

I was bitter about my son’s funeral and burial since Everyone kept it a secret from me and my wife and in turn, I vowed that the only funeral I’ll ever attend again is my own.

Ive since let up, and now understand why everyone kept it quiet. But I still get panic attacks when I hear funerals after being called to a few since then, but couldn’t muster the courage to go...so I might inadvertently keep my vows without wanting to. Too much pent up crying I guess. I fear the day my two remaining grandmothers go as they’ve been widowed for 20 and 10 years.

Went on a tangent. Sorry.

to answer the question: My Brothers, Wifes, grandmother. She had Alzheimer’s.

Events Team · Posted

My last one was 2 years ago, but it was by far the most difficult one I have ever attended.
My cousin died from a streptococcal infection in 2017. She was only 6 years old. And it happened two days before a national holiday that celebrates the lives of children.

In my family, we mourn the deceased but also celebrate and be joyful for the life he or she had. Funerals are unusually "happy" among us. The last one before that was of my grandpa.
The most normal thing seen there was people laughing, remembering his stories and escapades during the funeral. That is how it usually goes for us.
But not that one. Her life was too short. We were all dumbfounded. We couldn't process that at all.

And let me tell you, the smallest caskets are the heaviest ones to carry.

• Sad 1