• Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    • Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
    • Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
    • Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
    • Grand Theft Auto 4
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Other - One that isn't listed
    • Haven't played any/enough to judge

This is actually tricky.  I always enjoyed the original games on the PS1, but those were never the types of games that I wanted to completely play through.  They were fun for short spurts.  When they switched over to 3D environments, it was an entirely new game.  GTA3 and Vice City are probably the two games I have the most hours with, but I also had a decent amount of time with GTA4.  Funny thing is that while I've played GTA5, I never really got into it.  Even though, I'm sure that's going to be one of the more popular picks, it just never did much for me.  If I have to pick one, I'm probably going with GTA3 simply because I have the most memories with it, but on a different day, I might pick Vice City.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

5 is a fantastic game (the sales figures speak for themselves) but I have to go with San Andreas. The writing is fantastic and genuinely hilarious.

It’s still inspiring memes today, and it’s likely a portion of the kids quoting those memes weren’t alive when the game came out.

Edited by Strange
  • Like 1

Vice City.  It was the only one of them I ever fully completed (I am not sure, but I may have beaten 3).  It is all due to the time period...from the music, the Miami Vice atmosphere, to the 80s glitz.

And, Ray Liotta did a fine job in the role too.

• Like 2

I'm hip with the cool kids voting for Vice City. Objectively not the best entry in the series, but the one I had the most fun with.

GTAIII blew my mind and Vice City expanded on that experience perfectly with some new mechanics yeah, but mostly by adding a shit ton of personality to the game. Where San Andreas did have improvements over Vice City, the overall experience felt more like the same game but with a different theme, so it had less of an impact on me.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
typo
  • Like 1

I've only spent any time at all with three games in the series (Vice City, San Andreas and GTA5) but even then, I've never been terribly impressed with them. I actually enjoyed Saints Row 3 more than any of the GTA games because of it unflinchingly embracing the absurdity of the genre.

The most fun I found in the GTA games was actually the vehicle controls, specifically for the unusual vehicles. I liked any sequence where you got to operate a plane, helicopter, tank or anything unusual. Outside of that, the game usually lost most of its appeal for me pretty quickly. I dunno. I guess I'm just not that much of an anarchist at heart.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

For me it's VC as well.

I used to play it a lot in middle school, and I also played 3 and SA.

Today, I've lost the ability to enjoy it. Whenever I see footage from the game it just strikes me as tasteless obscenity and violence. Not that I'm trying to make a statement or anything, just feels like my personal preferences changed and I simply can't see games like this as "fun" anymore.

• Like 2

That tough, I love the setting of Vice City but Rockstar knocked it out of the park with San Andreas with all the content and ideas they put into the game. Sure it the game and the 3D trilogy has things that didn't aged well like redoing the entire long mission when fail instead of checkpoints but the missions, world building, characters, and voice actors make it so good.

I do love 5 but that game gives me so much frustration outside of the game itself. I got the PS3 copy but it doesn't work with a backwards compatible PS3 and when I bought the Steam version I have to deal with a Rockstar account that I don't want to use or have to run additional software for which Rockstar 2K games been milking a years old game.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 3/17/2021 at 5:57 PM, doner24 said:

I went with 5, followed by SA, 3 and then Vice City of the 4 I’ve played. Liked them all so far, but had a ton of fun on 5 and even played it through twice. 

If you loved 5 you owe it to yourself to play through IV.   I think it has the best storyline.

• 4 weeks later...