1. 1. What's your favorite Mario Kart?

• Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    • Mario Kart 64 (N64)
    • Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA)
    • Mario Kart Double Dash!! (GCN)
    • Mario Kart DS (DS)
    • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
    • Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    • Mario Kart 8 / 8 Deluxe (Wii U / Switch)

Double Dash!! is unbeatable. It’s the most unique in the series and the one I’ve spent the most time with. Two characters per kart was an awesome idea and being able to play cooperatively, even on the story mode, is super cool.
As for my mains, I always love using Bowser Jr. and Koopa Paratroopa.

Mario Kart 8 would be my next choice. Fantastic entry in the series.

• Like 2

Mario Kart 8 DX is the best in the series, I don't think you could really make a solid argument against this position in 2021 with the servers still running. Whether it's online, couch multiplayer or single player in the 200cc mode, there's simply too much going for the game for any of the others to compete at this point.

It is also the only one I would probably continue to bring out at family gatherings at this point, not only due to the convenience of having the Switch and all the JoyCons set up, but the accessibility options (auto-steer and/or auto-accelerate) really help to expand the fun to almost anyone, including the young, old and inexperienced alike.

However, it's still not my favourite. I voted 64. 😉

• Like 2

As much as I like Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I had to go with Super Mario Kart.

I had it both on the SNES and as a digital download on my Mom's Wii. Plus I also had 7, but that was later reduced to a game I play when I was in the bathroom. It was that easy for me. My experiences with the rest did not do much for me, especially since I had no friends to play those games with. And 8 Deluxe, which I am debating over, is one I have a few interesting experiences playing in 2018. But not much else beyond that point.

• Like 2

8 is amazing. I'm not even that fond of racing games, but I can't not have fun while playing it.

I don't understand why anyone has a preference for 64. I guess nostalgia might beat out the later versions, but the original game already wins in that aspect and also lets you see where you are going when playing against other players.

• Like 1

This is the first Sequel Showdown where I've owned and played every game in the list.  And it's by far the most difficult one to choose.  For me, it's down to either SMK, MK64, MKWii or MK8D.  I have the most time spent with those 4 games by far compared to the others.  

• SMK gets points for being the original and having the nostalgia factor.  I also believe it's aged better then most of the other retro MK titles.  It's also the most difficult in my opinion.  
  • MK64 gets points because it's the game I've spent the most time with playing multiplayer.  The memories from playing the same course over and over again until 2 in the morning with my college buddies will last forever.  
  • MK Wii gets points because I have the most time with it period.  I know this game hardly ever gets any love, but I always thought it was fantastic, and thank God they make the motion control driving optional.  
  • MK8D gets points simply for being the most refined and polished MK game yet.  They took everything that worked well in previous games and perfected it.  

It's difficult to choose.  My heart says to go with the original, but my brain says to go with Deluxe.  I'll think it over a little before I cast my vote.  

• Like 2

I love Mario Kart: Double Dash!! I grew up playing it and mastered all the courses. The fact that you can use two characters makes it unique and fun since I don’t have to choose between my top two favorite characters. My favorite characters are Yoshi and Baby Luigi. I will also add that the music in the game is incredible. I’ve heard the music so much in my life that I can actually hear it in my head as I type.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

It’s should be 64 and not even close for anyone over the age 30. The impact that Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye had on multiplayer was insane. Every house and dorm room had a 64 and those 2 games in high school and college. 

Simple power ups, simple tracks that still hold up today, showing that the more stuff you add does not make something better. 

• Like 4

Either the original for having my favorite tracks and music, Double Dash!! for having my favorite Battle mode and the LAN option, or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for its online play and being the most polished in the series. Tough decision, but I think I have to go with the original. Not because of nostalgia, but because it is the most fun in my opinion (since it has my favorite tracks in the series) and it is also the most relaxing.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

I've played every game in the series except Mario Kart 7. Honestly, choosing a favorite is next to impossible between the original, Double Dash and 8 Deluxe...but I think I'm giving it to Double Dash. It (and Super Mario Kart) is one of only a handful of games I've ever 100% completed. I'm working on 100% on 8 Deluxe...but there's just so many dang courses and speeds in that game that I have to put it down for a while and come back to avoid burn-out.

The original SNES game might be my most-played game on the console. So many hours of 2-player GP and Battle Mode with my brother and friends. I love that game dearly. I'll never forget the time that my brother managed to get me hit with my own red shell. Or the time we crossed the finish line at the exact same time down to the hundredth of a second.

But Double Dash represented an nice evolution for the franchise before the items got out-of-hand like in Mario Kart Wii and before the gimmicky stuff of Mario Kart 7. I loved being able to mix and match drivers and choose custom carts and how each driver had a different special weapon.

8 Deluxe is probably the best, most full-featured game in the series and it is amazing. I wouldn't question why anyone would call it their favorite.

• Like 2

MK 8 is the definitive Mario Kart entry. It is bar none the best one, especially MK8 deluxe.

I rock Toadette in the wiggler with Azure Rollers and the cloud parachute. I like light, quick racers that can turn on a dime to hit the shortcuts. Just can never get rammed, or you are gonna have a bad time. Plus, Toadette is my girl!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, doner24 said:

It’s should be 64 and not even close for anyone over the age 30. The impact that Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye had on multiplayer was insane. Every house and dorm room had a 64 and those 2 games in high school and college. 

Simple power ups, simple tracks that still hold up today, showing that the more stuff you add does not make something better. 

I can't put my finger on exactly why...but I never quite developed the same affection for Mario Kart 64 as everyone else did. Granted, I didn't own it but I did play it at friends' homes on several occasions. It was good for sure but maybe it's because it controls so differently from Super Mario Kart (a game I put hundreds of hours into, I'm sure) that, at the time, I never quite got comfortable with it.

But yeah, I can't deny that it's a classic and probably one of the most iconic couch-multiplayer games ever made. 4-player compatibility was a huge deal at the time.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

MK 8 is the definitive Mario Kart entry. It is bar none the best one, especially MK8 deluxe.

I rock Toadette in the wiggler with Azure Rollers and the cloud parachute. I like light, quick racers that can turn on a dime to hit the shortcuts. Just can never get rammed, or you are gonna have a bad time. Plus, Toadette is my girl!

Personally I always rock my boy Lemmy in the Pipe Frame & Azure Rollers. I'm also a fan of the very light, quick racers that can turn quickly.

ezgif-6-a4d4895fa571.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

It's not on the list so I couldn't vote for it, but the best Mario Kart game is actually Diddy Kong Racing on the N64.

That thing was absolute rubbish. My brother and I got it later, and we'd always try to give it a fair shake as we wanted to like it; however, after playing for be a few hours, we'd always have to finish by playing a round of MK64, yeah Diddy Kong Racing was that bad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is honestly a tough one.  I had to think for a bit before answering.  I went with MK64.

I had played SMK at a friends house some and enjoyed it but 64 was the first one I owned, and I wore it out.  Even after winning every trophy, I'd still play for hours and hours lowering my times on my favorite tracks... and not so favorite tracks.

I think you could definitely say that under a fair evaluation, it's not the "best" but I agree that there's something nice about the simplicity of the game, compared to it's successors.  Furthermore, I like that there are juuuuust enough glitches in the game that some of them can make for fun time trial exploits.  I can't land it as easily now, but I practiced and restarted Warios Stadium countless times until I perfected the wall hop right off of the start.  Generally, I wasn't good at multiplayer games for any genre, but that was one stage I was unbeatable at because I could nail the start and usually nail 1-2 hops on the next laps.  This added a layer to the game I really enjoyed.

MK8 is an awesome game but it's a bit too polished and a balanced.  I'm sure there are exploits in this game too, but I'd imagine they are a bit harder.  Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, but it's tied fore second.

...with Double Dash.  Double Dash is somewhere in the middle of the two.  I also agree that the player-switching mechanic is awesome.  There's a chance it'd be my #1 game, but I hadn't played it half as much as Mk64, so I'm not as familiar with it.  Regardless, I place the enjoyment of the experience on par with MK8.

Regarding go to characters, I do play to win but also have fun. In general I like heavy weights, so in older games I go with DK and in MK8 I go with Rosalina.

• Like 1