IGNORED

Console Debate #10: Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine

fox

How do you rate Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/22/2021 at 05:59 PM

My friends step dad had a TG16 when I was little, and I thought it was so cool the one or two times I ever saw him hook it up.  Ever since then, even long before I was a collector, I wanted one badly, and to this day I still havent gotten one cheap enough.  I have never really played any of the good games on it, and the controllers are kinda shitty, so I gave it a 6/10.

• Like 1

8/10. A really neat little console with some incredible titles that's only held back by a few design and marketing blunders.

I have distinct memories of the commercials, ads and coverage in gaming magazines and its prominence in the game aisle of Toys 'R Us at the time. However, for various reasons, I never owned one and never even knew anyone who did until the mid 90's when a friend got a TurboExpress for his birthday. Holy sh*t! Playing Blazing Lazers in full color on a handheld with a backlit screen? In the mid 90's? It blew my balls off. I was exceptionally jealous.

Who's idea was it to put only a single controller port on the thing, though? And I can understand why the controller cable on the PC Engine was so short...but why on the TG-16? Madness.

Still, even today, the Turbo/PCE has some killer apps that you just can't get anywhere else. Much like the Sega Genesis, it has its own personality when it comes to graphics and sound. Built-in turbo functionality on the controllers. And the HuCard format for the game carts is just f-ing cool. Oh yeah...and the Turbo CD. Ys Book 1&2, Gate of Thunder, Lords of ThunderCastlevania: Rondo of Blood.

If not for the horribly botched marketing, strange design decisions and weak 3rd-party support, the system could have been a much bigger deal. I think more people should give this one the love it deserves.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

7/10. Has a bit of the N64 thing going on where lots of top lists of games look the same and one genre is overrepresented. Not much to complain about except the controller d-pad being too stiff otherwise. I like all the same games everyone else does and it has most genres covered by at least one standout thing. I’m just not picking Bonk over Mario, Neutopia over Zelda, or Ys over Chrono Trigger when it comes down to it. I will take Soldier Blade over that Nintendo junk though.

(I’m not taking Bomberman ‘94 over Bomberman 64 either but I understand this to be a personal failing of mine)

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

100% of my experience with this console is on the Japanese side.  I own a Core Grafx II and a Duo R.  I got into this console about 7 or 8 years ago with the plan of buying just buying hardware I needed and passing on the games.  I have an Everdrive for the hu card games and I burn my own discs for the disc based games.  The system is a lot of fun, but not worth the asking prices of most of the games in my opinion.  The system absolutely deserved to get more attention in the states while it was out, but looking back, NEC made a lot of stupid marketing mistakes that prevented it from being competitive with Sega and Nintendo.  I highly recommend everyone try out the games on this system, but due to the current market prices, I also recommend doing it with emulation.  

This is my advice.  If you want to get into this system today and you insist on buying original hardware, start with a Duo system.   Don't do what I did and start with hu card only and the plan to add CD functionality later.  You will save a lot of money, time and headache if you just go with a Duo system from the start.  If the price of a Duo turns you off, emulate the games.  

10/10 with no hesitation

I was late to the party, didn't get my PC Engine until I started dabbling in retro games, and got one originally just to play Dracula X back in 2001 or 2002. But I've loved it ever since. It's the perfect type of video game platform at the right place and the right time. Full of great straightforward action games.

• Like 3

I don't feel comfortable voting just yet because my HuCard reader stopped working and I haven't been able to play most of my games. On disc I have Image Fight 2, Rhondo, Rayxanber ll, Ninja Spirit, and Star Parodier. Star Parodier is the only one that was not as good as expected. Probably a nine for me in the future.

Edited by Californication
  • Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted
37 minutes ago, Sumez said:

10/10 with no hesitation

I was late to the party, didn't get my PC Engine until I started dabbling in retro games, and got one originally just to play Dracula X back in 2001 or 2002. But I've loved it ever since. It's the perfect type of video game platform at the right place and the right time. Full of great straightforward action games.

It's your #1 console of all time?

Not arguing it, just a bit surprised.

Seems like a fantastic shoot-em-up console that’s only sporadically good at much else. that’s not a genre I have much experience with so hard to judge but probably not too great of a console overall. Do like Blazing Layzers. Dracula X, Ys I and II and Ys IV are great so it does have some other cool games too.

Bonk’s Adventure isn’t good though.

• Wow! 1

Close to being a ten for me.  Th small US library and some import games that never got translated (Snatcher I am looking at you) are the only thing holding it back IMO.  I mean it was way ahead of it's time.  First CD game system ever even though Sega incorrectly claimed they were the first.  Check out the Johnny Turbo "FEKA" adds NEC put out.  Good stuff.  Also the first real portable system that actually brought the home console experience with no drawback, the Turbo Express.  It is a SHMUPS dream system, yes even better than the Saturn IMO.  Just a wonderful system all around IMO.  And who is dogging the Turbo Pads?  Those controllers are great.

http://www.popflock.com/learn?s=Johnny_Turbo

Edited by tbone3969

1 minute ago, MagusSmurf said:

Seems like a fantastic shoot-em-up console that’s only sporadically good at much else. that’s not a genre I have much experience with so hard to judge but probably not too great of a console overall. Do like Blazing Layzers. Dracula X, Ys I and II and Ys IV are great so it does have some other cool games too.

Bonk’s Adventure isn’t good though.

Bonks Adventure not good.....  you're crazy.  So much fun.  And Bonk's Return is by far the best in the series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I highly recommend everyone try out the games on this system, but due to the current market prices, I also recommend doing it with emulation...

...If the price of a Duo turns you off, emulate the games.

This. As much as I loveloveLOVE the Turbo, the collector's market has definitely ruined the system in terms of accessibility today.

This is part of what makes the Turbo Mini a pretty good deal for most folks. You'd be hard pressed to get 2-3 decent games for the system for less than $100. The Mini easily covers its list price and more. Hell, Rondo by itself goes for $200 easy.

I haven't kept up with the emulation scene for the Turbo, so I don't know what quality options are out there. But yes, I suggest folks find a reliable (and cheap) way to experience the system because the titles on it that are great are *really* great.

4 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

This. As much as I loveloveLOVE the Turbo, the collector's market has definitely ruined the system in terms of accessibility today.

This is part of what makes the Turbo Mini a pretty good deal for most folks. You'd be hard pressed to get 2-3 decent games for the system for less than $100. The Mini easily covers its list price and more. Hell, Rondo by itself goes for $200 easy.

I haven't kept up with the emulation scene for the Turbo, so I don't know what quality options are out there. But yes, I suggest folks find a reliable (and cheap) way to experience the system because the titles on it that are great are *really* great.

I second the Analogue option as well.  I hope it accepts CDRs.  The other cheapest way to get into the scene would be a recapped PC Engine DUO, which I bet one could find for around $300.  You can then just burn any CD game you wanted.  Get an Everdrive for $100 and then you would have access to the 150 US and 700 Japan HU card titles as well.  Not that high of an entry cost for that many games IMO.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 1

And for those who say that the Turbo's library really only offers shooters, that's not true. Yes, it does have a lot of shooters (and a lot of good ones) but there are also dozens of great platformers, action and arcade titles on the system. Just looking at the North American releases, I can think of at least 20 titles that are worthwhile.

• Like 2

My only experience is with the Turbografx Mini, but I've found the selection of games to be stellar. At the top end, it competes well with Nintendo and Sega. I don't feel comfortable rating it since I've never encountered the console in real life and I've not truly explored the library, but I plan on jumping in head first when Analogue puts out their Duo.

Edited by DoctorEncore