IGNORED

What do you guys think of Reddit? Not only for gaming stuff, but in general.

SilverspoonGaming

It's alright, but you're right, there's far too much on there to keep up with unless you've got a very, very narrow window of interest.  Plus, many (most?) folks on there tend to be cliquish at best and douchebags at worst, so I stopped interacting on there a couple of years ago, although I'll still research stuff there on occasion and skim through the popular posts every few days or so to see if there's anything truly interesting going on.

I've used it for some time now.  I find it as kind of the natural evolution of this, and enjoy a daily feed I get from the various ones I tend to poke a stick at.  It's easy, has a good design mostly to it, nice layout.  I do hate you can't seem to attach images so you have to use outside storage, and the mail on the browser version of it is crap as you can only view stuff once and then it's like gone (yet on mobile you can go back to old private messages/notices.)

It could easily get into overkill, but I kind of limit it to like a half dozen or so spots, and one I just love reading other peoples miserable stupid moments (TIFU today I f'd up) which tends to give me a nice gem to read daily.)

If you care enough to use it, don't go too deep.  If you're into certain stuff, just find the general page say for like Nintendo, Gameboy, nes, snes, n64, gamecollecting, retrogaming, tifu, DragaliaLost are more or less most of those I bother to take a peek at.  Just throw the /r/ in front of those as I typed them.

Events Team · Posted

Entirely depends on the specific communities you go to, trying to categorize all of reddit as good or bad is borderline impossible in my eyes, and likewise, you can't judge the entirety of reddit based on your experiences only going to a handful of subreddits. Some reddit communities are absolutely horrible, whereas some reddit communities are amazing. Most of the ones I find myself on fall closer to the latter end of that spectrum, so I personally like it.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I run the SNES subreddit and use the Switch and nscollecters reddits to keep up on news and releases.  While ignoring the drama.

And really that's all it's good for; news.  Because as a community I find the entire system far inferior to message boards.  Everything is so fleeting, that your post is either A) gonna be buried immediately, or B) stick around for a few days before disappearing forever.

And don't even get me started on the "upvotes."

Want to get upvoted on the SNES reddit?  Post a pic of an Aladdin cart and say "Anyone remember this?????"

Anything that takes more than 5 seconds to digest is too much effort and will be ignored.

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

It's one of those things that I won't hesitate to call garbage, yet I still go there for video game discussion.

The problem is the upvote/downvote system, which causes content to either rise to the top, or completely disappear. Opinions that get downvoted enough will just stop appearing at all, until every post is basically the same thing, especially in the hilariously toxic political boards. Unless your political opinions are in a very narrow bracket, you're going to be harassed, insulted, and possibly banned. I've seen it happen both right and left of the "accepted" political stance. It's best to completely avoid all political talk altogether.

And if moderators get too zealous about "curating" their subreddits, then this effect is compounded.

But yeah, I guess I'm a regular on there, but again, only for video games. The top comments in 99% of threads are just jokes and references, and the anonymity gives no reason for anyone to be polite. There are tons of subreddits that have "circlejerk" versions for people to make fun of the subreddit as a whole. It's weird.

The world would literally be a better place if reddit evaporated overnight.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

the mail on the browser version of it is crap as you can only view stuff once and then it's like gone (yet on mobile you can go back to old private messages/notices.)

Just click on the mail icon (or the word INBOX at the top of the page if you're already in it) when you have no new messages. It'll show all old messages.

• Like 1

I use it in the same way as Reed Rothchild, news on a couple of subjects I like. 

I find it to be very impersonal compared to a message board like this.

I also hate that I’m now forced to have an account to read more comments, so I made an account called redditisshit and linked it to a burner email.

I use it for memes and to keep tabs on the pulse of the game collecting community as a whole. You'll find me hanging out on /r/nes and /r/gamecollecting mostly. Though it's very rare I make a post.

Reddit as a whole feels a lot "younger" than I am.

The retro gaming communities on reddit are more or less casual retro gamers, but it's good to keep tabs on the community as a whole. I'll talk with guys on the casual side, all the way up to the upper echelon of game collectors on Facebook and in private.

I just like old tendo tapes and appreciate anyone who does as well.

I can't say as I am a big fan of it.  Unlike a more traditional forum set up  it seems impossible to sustain a conversation (at least on the limited topics I have participated in).  And a lot of times I see a thread I would like to contribute to but it is archived. Also you are dealing with a cast of constantly changing faceless entities - at least here you get a feel for most of the people you talk to (which can be a bad thing I guess if you base that feel on say politics).  

i use it to pass time, rarely post unless there is some really obviously false info getting put out there about gaming related stuff or id someone asked a question I an easily help with. Usually on the N64 reddit. Anything else I just read, the Gamestop one can be particularly entertaining, as well as retail hell

I’ve been exploring Reddit a bit as a replacement for my Facebook news feed.  Facebook is such a dumpster of humanity but I don’t know that Reddit is much better.  The sources of the news articles that come across the news feed seem to be exclusively the worst sort of opinion column trash.  Also I do not like and can not follow the comments in a thread.  I have to trace that stupid line up to where to see who’s replying to what?

If I'm looking for a community over some random thing, Reddit is pretty good. I don't care about flight simming enough to join a forum, but I do to occasionally check out the flightsim subreddit. If it's a hobby people want to talk about, Reddit is one of the easiest places to congregate and do it.

I also use it to try to find "real" opinions. For example if I was shopping for a flashlight battery or something I'd probably google "Reddit best flashlight battery" or if I wanted a horror movie "Reddit top horror movies". Obviously shills are on Reddit, but it's easier to find recommendations for stuff on Reddit than all the scammy Amazon affiliate blogs and clickbait on Google.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

If I'm looking for a community over some random thing, Reddit is pretty good. I don't care about flight simming enough to join a forum, but I do to occasionally check out the flightsim subreddit. If it's a hobby people want to talk about, Reddit is one of the easiest places to congregate and do it.

I also use it to try to find "real" opinions. For example if I was shopping for a flashlight battery or something I'd probably google "Reddit best flashlight battery" or if I wanted a horror movie "Reddit top horror movies". Obviously shills are on Reddit, but it's easier to find recommendations for stuff on Reddit than all the scammy Amazon affiliate blogs and clickbait on Google.

This is true re: shopping. Unfiltered real opinions at a glance and from generally real people, not something you can depend on with something like, say, amazon reviews.