IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct

Jicsan

37 minutes ago, OptOut said:

It's a good game, not great, certainly not by Mario standards anyway.

I disagree. First, it has a 92% on Metacritic. Sure, there are Mario games with higher scores, but in principle any game that over the years has >90% on Metacritic is arguably "great". Secondly, and more importantly, from the amazing music to the atmosphere, to the characters, to the challenge, it did everything right. I really liked Galaxy as well, but in my opinion Sunshine > Galaxy > 64. I haven't played Odyssey yet so I can't compare it, but I'm happy to say Sunshine definitely has its fans and is easily the most exciting title in the trio of games

https://www.nme.com/features/heres-why-everyone-is-so-excited-for-super-mario-sunshine-2745189

Super Mario 64 might have evolved the series, but Super Mario Sunshine perfected it. No other Mario game has had so much impact on what came next. The tropical landscapes were so beautiful, they remain a staple of Mario Kart to this day, while the use of FLUDD gave exploring Sunshine a new dynamic and flipped battles on their head.

Screenshot from 2020-09-05 00-36-48.png

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

I feel like I'm having a mandela effect. Does anyone recall Super Mario Sunshine getting mediocre reviews when it came out? Or was it that people were meh on it despite good reviews? Or am I remembering everything wrong and the game was actually highly praised and loved by all???

It definitely got good reviews.

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

this was a time when games were supposed to be all colors of the rainbow, as long as those colors were brown, grey, and green.

Some things haven’t changed. Sounds like COD 753367997 black ops edition haha.

Sunshine has always been a game that has a split audience, even on launch. We even saw that a little in the game debate thread.

I personally gave it a 5/10 because I found it to be a chore and not very fun. Plus compared to 64 it was awful in my opinion.

I’ve always wanted to give it another go though so this is a good chance and maybe it can change my view. I hope the controls are better, I remember those been frustrating.

I can understand the dislike for Sunshine even though I love it. It's definitely more challenging and tedious than 64 plus I think a lot of people didn't really like the FLUDD mechanics. The level design is a little odd for Nintendo as they aren't straight forward and have some very tough to get to spots, even for normal Shines or particular nozzles for FLUDD. The non-FLUDD mini levels are pretty challenging and even the worlds themselves can be tricky to locate on the over-world during the first play through. I would say it's the least player friendly Mario games and definitely the most challenging 3D Mario which is probably why I like it.

1 minute ago, phart010 said:

Can’t charge more than $60 for a retail release. Maybe it will be expansion dlc for an extra $20

In all seriousness, I am imagining the reason Galaxy 2 isn't included is due to space limitations on the game card. Obviously Mario 64 is tiny, as is Sunshine by modern standards. But getting Galaxy 1 AND 2 on a Switch cart is probably an issue...

31 minutes ago, OptOut said:

In all seriousness, I am imagining the reason Galaxy 2 isn't included is due to space limitations on the game card. Obviously Mario 64 is tiny, as is Sunshine by modern standards. But getting Galaxy 1 AND 2 on a Switch cart is probably an issue...

3d allstars is only a 4.7gb game total.

• Angry 1

Just now, Quest4Nes said:

3d allstars is only a 4.7gb game total.

🤔😤 The plot thickens...

Damn you Nintendo you greedy fucks! Give us what we demand, where's Galaxy 2, you complete bastards?! That's probably the best one, honestly! 😡

No excuse now, I'm even considering boycotting the game... After buying a copy for myself, of course, but only one, and after that, boycott.

• Haha 1

I posted in that related thread, but maybe it's just as simple as they had the tools already in place, and in the specific case of Galaxy 1 and not 2, it was already completed a few years ago.  The Chinese got the Nvidia Shield in a co-deal with Nintendo which got a very small selection of GC and Wii games converted to Android to run on that hardware, that same hardware which is the Switch.  Odds are they just re-used their Android APK for Galaxy, just doctored it to run the English version.  Can't quite write off Sunshine, other than again, same emulator, and N64 that would be the emulator they already made for their old online shop on the Wii/WiiU that had Mario 64.  Cobble the 2 emulators and 3 games together, throw a 3 game soundtrack on there and call it a day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cartman said:

For me it would be re-connecting with SM64 after again after all this time and getting to try out Sunshine and Galaxy. For quite a few it seems Sunshine is what they're mostly connected to.

It's the age group of those who are the most vocal on the internet. 

Sunshine is my lowest ranked of all the 3D Mario games. So I can assume nostalgia plays a big part in the hubbub of it. 

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It's the age group of those who are the most vocal on the internet. 

Sunshine is my lowest ranked of all the 3D Mario games. So I can assume nostalgia plays a big part in the hubbub of it. 

Yeah it could be that that some are more vocal than others. I've never played Sunshine but i've heard that it's considered one of the greats and would like to try it out so maybe this is the right occasion.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 9/5/2020 at 12:17 AM, OptOut said:

@avatar! I mean, I said I liked it, geez.

Personally, I reckon it goes:

Galaxy 1/2 > 64 > Odyssey > Sunshine

But, hey, that's opinions for ya! 😉

I'd say Odyssey > 64 > Sunshine (haven't played the Galaxies)

But they're all great.  And I was enthralled with 64 when it came out.

• Like 1

I wouldn't put Odyssey over any of the 3D Mario exploration games like that at all.  I mean I'd like to, but it's just so so watered down with the moons that it just gets tedious then boring.  I never actually bothered to finish it, a first for 3D Mario games.  I should go back and do it, but I find better distractions.  It's not bad, they just went too far.

• Like 1