IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct

Jicsan

I wish there were less moons and more impactful to get. Too many free ones. But as a game its still top notch. I still prefer galaxy 2 as my favorite 3d mario.

Odyssey probably next. If you count 3dworld as a 3d mario title id put that right with odyssey as well. Looking forward to what bowser fury is.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I wish there were less moons and more impactful to get. Too many free ones. But as a game its still top notch. I still prefer galaxy 2 as my favorite 3d mario.

Odyssey probably next. If you count 3dworld as a 3d mario title id put that right with odyssey as well. Looking forward to what bowser fury is.

Yeah, I'm super looking forward to playing Mario 3D World for the first time! I love 3D land, so I'm sure this is gonna be a slam dunk for me too!

Edit: Also, yeah I would say the moon thing in Odyssey is a fair criticism, although personally for me it wasn't a huge deal I kinda liked just finding moons everywhere like free candy, lol! The ones you had to buy for coins were a little dumb tho, that seemed extra pointless.

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

SMO definitely had like 150 moons then someone important said "But what if there were 900" and the designers started sweating and throwing them literally everywhere.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Every Wii U game gets resold at full price on Switch. I don’t make the rules 🤷‍♂️

The Wii U never existed. The same sorts of people who believe in the Wii U also think the world is flat, bigfoot is hanging out with Elvis in Atlantis, and that the US Super Nintendo looks better than the Super Famicom. 😛

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I wouldn't put Odyssey over any of the 3D Mario exploration games like that at all.  I mean I'd like to, but it's just so so watered down with the moons that it just gets tedious then boring.  I never actually bothered to finish it, a first for 3D Mario games.  I should go back and do it, but I find better distractions.  It's not bad, they just went too far.

To me it was a game about nothing. A lush world with characters and collectibles added in as props it attempts to be both platformer and open world but becomes neither because it's just so fucking dull.

I think it rides on the Mario name to a large extent benefitting from a built-in positive bias.

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

Yeah, I'm super looking forward to playing Mario 3D World for the first time! I love 3D land, so I'm sure this is gonna be a slam dunk for me too!

*Unpopular opinion* but 3D Land was better. The cat power up of World still makes me cringe and the other power ups were cool but overall 3D Land was a better Mario game.

I liked that it was short but opened up to another full game with the minus world. Also, it was one of a handful of 3DS games that hot the 3D right.

3D Land is up there in my all time favorite Mario game list and 3D World is beside Sunshine as a spin off that should've been better. 

• Like 1

Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite Mario game, and may be just straight up my favorite game.  As for the moons being everywhere, I watched my my youngest son beat the game by himself at six years old.  Sure moons literally everywhere are really what made that possible, and it makes perfect sense to me that they made it that way.  A more 'advanced' player can still be challenged by getting the harder moons, or getting them all.  I know my progress getting them really slowed the further past 500 I got.  Nintendo understands they have a wide audience of players, and they made this game to cater to the whole of their player base.  Casual gamers can enjoy it, and get the credits to roll, and hardcore players can dig deeper and get more of a challenge out of it. 

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I played 3D Land all the way through, just because I had a lot of free time at that point in my life, and I kept expecting it to get better. It had a couple of cool parts, but I had no problem selling it away as soon as I finished it. It was the same thing over and over, and that's not figurative. It absolutely doesn't have another whole game as soon as you finish, because it's EVEN MORE of the same thing over and over. It left like a fan-made game since it lacked the "Mario magic" other Mario games have. I assume 3D World is at least a little more varied and playworthy.

Yeah, Odyssey has a lot of padding, but there's a good game in there. There's not a good game in 3D Land. Obviously millions of people worldwide would disagree with me on that, but stripping down the fluff in both games would leave you with about 30 minutes of playtime in 3D Land, and 10 hours in Odyssey.

26 minutes ago, Splain said:

I played 3D Land all the way through, just because I had a lot of free time at that point in my life, and I kept expecting it to get better. It had a couple of cool parts, but I had no problem selling it away as soon as I finished it. It was the same thing over and over, and that's not figurative. It absolutely doesn't have another whole game as soon as you finish, because it's EVEN MORE of the same thing over and over. It left like a fan-made game since it lacked the "Mario magic" other Mario games have. I assume 3D World is at least a little more varied and playworthy.

Yeah, Odyssey has a lot of padding, but there's a good game in there. There's not a good game in 3D Land. Obviously millions of people worldwide would disagree with me on that, but stripping down the fluff in both games would leave you with about 30 minutes of playtime in 3D Land, and 10 hours in Odyssey.

3D world is much better than 3D Land. The levels are so much more creative and fun. Its what I feel they were originally going for.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cartman said:

To me it was a game about nothing. A lush world with characters and collectibles added in as props it attempts to be both platformer and open world but becomes neither because it's just so fucking dull.

I think it rides on the Mario name to a large extent benefitting from a built-in positive bias.

Nailed it!  That's the best explanation I can think of now that you put it so short and sweet about the game.  I don't hate it, it's great, but in very short doses as it's just as you said too much about collectibles as props so it's just utterly boring as it can't decide what it wants to be with normal Mario platforming or an open world mess.  If it didn't have Mario, like some random mascot game, it probably would have been given some 7s and 8s if that and called on it fiercely.