IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Mario Bros

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

This week has been a quite unusual one for the NES Weekly Contest, as we needed the help of a carpenter to reshape and resize our winning podium. Indeed, through the effect of some very debatable set of rules approved by the dummies who are running this show, players were encourage to basically stand on a POW block and/or hide near some green pipe for about 5 hours. Everyone who passed this rite of initiation were granted a tie for 1st place, which resulted in 6 players (@bertsampson @Kid Dracula @ninjistar @0xDEAFC0DE @Bearcat-Doug @Jeevan) sitting together awkwardly on our Mario Bros. throne. Congratulations to you guys, hope you have enough space up there!

As a result of this, the distribution of points between them will go as follow : we'll first add all the points for the 6 top ranks (11 + 10 + 9 + 8 + 7 + 6 = 51), and then we'll divide them equally between them. So, 51 divided by 6 gives... wait a minute, 8.5??? We can't give half points? This will look like shit on the leaderboard! Aww, nevermind, I'll just ask for that carpenter guy to resize that 51 into a 54, so 9 points to all 1st places it will be!

See ya all bunch of merry men and women for the Recca contest!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh yeah, if anyone was still curious. It's impossible for the fireballs to hit you when you are half way between screens. So, hiding there on the lowest level lets you hit the icicle without anything being able to damage you. 

This is what I was doing initially, but decided there had to be a faster way. So I tried the POW block, hoping the enemies couldn't hit me (and they don't). I would only kill one or two enemies at the start of the level so that the icicle would appear, but the fireballs would not. I felt this made the farming go about 20%-30% faster (7 seconds to respawn and hit versus 10 seconds). Still, it's a long grind. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

This is what I was doing initially, but decided there had to be a faster way. So I tried the POW block, hoping the enemies couldn't hit me (and they don't). I would only kill one or two enemies at the start of the level so that the icicle would appear, but the fireballs would not. I felt this made the farming go about 20%-30% faster (7 seconds to respawn and hit versus 10 seconds). Still, it's a long grind. 

Red fireballs are worth 1000 points, and green worth 200, so POW block and jumping down to hit the green fireballs and back, then getting the icicle wherever it may be, and then getting the red fireball whenever it spawned, all while dodging the last enemy seemed to be the fastest method.  You could also leave a turtle or bug as your last enemy and flip them over as many times as possible for 10 points per flip onto their back.  But then you miss most of the green fireballs.  Oh, and no icicles on the first 8 phases, so fireballs was it for my Phase 1 max score.  I already convinced the moderators that should be the contest for next time.  Highest score, run ends on phase 2!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bertsampson said:

Red fireballs are worth 1000 points, and green worth 200, so POW block and jumping down to hit the green fireballs and back, then getting the icicle wherever it may be, and then getting the red fireball whenever it spawned, all while dodging the last enemy seemed to be the fastest method.  You could also leave a turtle or bug as your last enemy and flip them over as many times as possible for 10 points per flip onto their back.  But then you miss most of the green fireballs.  Oh, and no icicles on the first 8 phases, so fireballs was it for my Phase 1 max score.  I already convinced the moderators that should be the contest for next time.  Highest score, run ends on phase 2!

I honestly expected you to say you found something like the DK ladder trick and you were rolling the score in 5 minutes while the rest of us were grinding it out for hours like idiots. 😂

7 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh yeah, if anyone was still curious. It's impossible for the fireballs to hit you when you are half way between screens. So, hiding there on the lowest level lets you hit the icicle without anything being able to damage you. 

That’s the way I figured it out. I didn’t even pause the game when I took breaks. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ninjistar said:

I tried both and I found the POW block to be quicker. That is if you consider five and a half hours quick.

15 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Dammmmmmn had I know this I may have done it that way. Standing on POW box, I could farm 10 or 15k but kept getting hit with fireballs. The prospect of mastering that and then doing it for 5+ hours was just way too much. 

Edited by NESfiend

38 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Dammmmmmn had I know this I may have done it that way. Standing on POW box, I could farm 10 or 15k but kept getting hit with fireballs. The prospect of mastering that and then doing it for 5+ hours was just way too much. 

It really is as easy as it sounds when you get the hang of it. Doing the same thing over and over for 5 hours was the tough part.

8 hours ago, BeaIank said:

I can't believe we had 6 players tied for 1st this week.
This game is now BANNED from the weekly contest!

That seems a bit extreme 🙂 We could always play for low score, furthest progression (or perhaps something else we've not thought of). Even just furthest progression might be okay. But I can agree that for high score, this is a mega grind!

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

Seriously guys the generosity to the charity means a lot to me, it's really really appreciated! 

I'm not even out here asking and you're all just on it. Ya love to see it. 

Your marathons gave me the idea and since this week was definitely a marathon, it seemed like a good fit. Hopefully you absolutely crush your goal this year!

51 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

That seems a bit extreme 🙂 We could always play for low score, furthest progression (or perhaps something else we've not thought of). Even just furthest progression might be okay. But I can agree that for high score, this is a mega grind!

Something like Phase 30, low score/progression should keep a full run at around a half hour. I'm still in no hurry to play this again anytime soon.