IGNORED

What is the most you have ever paid for a game?

I bought a copy of Blue Chicago Blues for the Laseractive a long time ago for $225.  After that it was actually stuff I bought new* (those pesky overpriced cardboard sega genesis  boxed games).

*I have a scary amount of now (really) pricey games for various platforms that I either bought new at the time or  I got at used game prices at the same time.

Edited by Tabonga

I’d say about $75.  There’s a couple of them that I paid in the 70 - 75 range.  Legend of Zelda CIB, Dragon Warrior IV, Brigandine, I want to say one of the PS1 Lunar games complete in the fancy boxes (may have been like 50 can’t remember).

I’ve never broken the hundred dollar barrier.  I did once consider just saying screw it and purchasing Valkyrie Profile.  Also currently been ruminating copy of Dragon Warrior II CIB for $100.

It’s hard to remember (bad habit, don’t be like me) probably in range of $80ish. I remember buying Knight Quest for the original Game Boy + its manual for that much. A similar price but cheaper for Survival Kids on GBC + manual. I paid $70-something for Skyblazer on SNES. I’ve got some pricier DS and Genesis games that value at around that but I do a lot of trade-ins occasionally.

I guess I’m not a big spender, but I do dream of Snatcher.

Edited by The Strangest

For some reason one day I decided I was very into Rockin' Kats for the NES, so I won an eBay auction for a flawless cart-only copy for $100 (about average at that time). I played it for a few weeks until I had gone from believing it was a true hidden gem to a buggy, mediocre Bionic Commando wannabe and flipped it again for $95. I chalk it up as a cautionary tale and a $5 rental fee.

With that said, I also remember buying Final Fantasy II / IV for SNES with my own allowance money waaaay back in the day, which I think retailed for around $70 in 1991. Adjusted for inflation that would be around $130 today... Does that count? Games were expensive back then.

7 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

So I’m kind of embarrassed to say now. You guys are so....sensible.

Yeah, I figured I was too lightweight to post on this topic but I'm glad to see there are at least a few other cheap basterds around here. 😬

34 minutes ago, dvertov said:

Yeah, I figured I was too lightweight to post on this topic but I'm glad to see there are at least a few other cheap basterds around here. 😬

It really wasn't meant  to be a thread to brag - just  idle curiosity one.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Most I've spent on a single game is $800 CAD on EVO: Search for Eden on SNES (CIB). At least I think that's what I spent on it, it was a bit of a while ago.

Funny I did 1000$uds on a mint Evo! It was on NA.. still have it, but will never do that anymore.. 

That said, I had the money because I had sell 3-4 games..

Edited by TheBiRD

I would say my old loose Stadium Events but I traded to get it. Same for a lot of my heavy hitters.

I don't keep track of what I spend anymore. It's not a spending frenzy to me anymore as it was back in 2011-2013 where I kept a spreadsheet of every item i paid, separated the cost of shipping, and the cost of a UPS mailbox.

I guess it would be one of my sealed games.

• Wow! 1

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

“Honey just think of the iNvEsTmEnT.”

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - we wouldn't blackmail you - much.

I have literally said to my wife "It will definitely hold its value and, if we ever need the money, I can always resell."

(I was being slightly disingenuous in my initial post. I do discuss big purchases with her, just not exact dollar amounts unless she specifically wants to know.)

• Like 1

Game was Hagane for $350 or so. Don't remember the exact price.

Controller was the Gundam char wavebird CIB for $400

This were both years ago and I don't spend nearly as much on games anymore.

I have done some pretty big trades though. My biggest one was probably my $1500 trade and that was probably a year ago.

Excluding the couple of pinballs I've had, on a single game,  I don't think it has been all that much.  I've picked up stuff that had about $300 in value, but a trade was involved and/or a bundle.

I think the most I've dropped on a single game was just last year and technically 2 games.  When I was going after Virtual Boy stuff I had the opportunity to scoop a deal and paid $200+a trade game on Jack Bros, but months later I got CIB Waterworld for $200 too.  I already had a WW manual and someone offered me $60 on it so that dropped it to $140 immediately. So that's really about it, before that I would have said around the $100-150 mark and would have been a Neo Geo MVS cart/partial kit.

365 bux on a Sculptors Cut cart. Seems like a lot to pay, but logically necessary in order to ensure I can complete the set. I knew it would just keep going up and up, and I was going to need it, so I bought it. I heard way too many stories of collectors turning down expensive purchases, only to regret it years later to convince me what I had to do.

Other than that I spent just shy of five hundred dollars getting my two UltraHDMI N64s, and that I have to say is the best purchase I've ever made, I love em! 😃

• Like 1