IGNORED

What is the most you have ever paid for a game?

$2500 for a loose Outback Joey. I don’t think anything else comes close. $2500 to check a checkbox with a cartridge so I don’t wonder “Is it really part of the Genesis set?”, which no I don’t believe it is. But I don’t want to change my mind one day then have to spend years tracking one down so I jumped when one came up.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I have literally said to my wife "It will definitely hold its value and, if we ever need the money, I can always resell."

(I was being slightly disingenuous in my initial post. I do discuss big purchases with her, just not exact dollar amounts unless she specifically wants to know.)

If I had a dollar for every time I told this to my wife I could buy Stadium Events.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've always been mostly self found so I've never broke the bank too hard(modern times don't allow for this too much anymore.) I've been very lucky in the past to knock stuff of my list like Little Samson for $65 shipped back in the early days of NA(that was what it was worth!), or finding a Starfox Super Weekend cart for $2.50 at Dimple Records. As for the most expensive single item? I'd guess slightly under 1K for either a specific proto or something like a minty DK Jr. Math/Chubby Cherub CIB.

• Like 1

In 2017 I bought a manual less copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD for $280. My copy had a photocopied back art so I made it complete and promptly resold the disk only copy for $230. I remember buying Steel Battalion new at retail for $250. Dropped $200 on a complete PDS in 2002. Those are the top three I can think of.

I can only think of 3 times I've paid 200 or more. Sounds conservative, but ive paid 100+ for a ton of games. 200 was always the line I figured would keep my wife from getting pissed. The 3 200 plus games are all cart only.

220ish for power blade 2 on ebay (around 2015, 2016)

200 for caltron 6-1 in Nintendo age buy from Hogie who started gvn

200 for a mint final fight guy for snes

Edit: forgot I had to file a police report to get that final fight guy. It was inadvertently shipped to my old address. When they tried to keep it, a cop went over and retrieved it. Im a criminal defense attorney so all the local cops know me and usually we are on opposite sides. They got a lot of laughs that I had to use them AND for an old video game. I remember one telling another, you gotta ask him why it's 200 bucks. When I explained it was exclusively released as a rental at blockbuster, they were rolling over laughing at me.  

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Without giving the exact amount away, I recently bought a Worms W.M.D. for Switch sealed off eBay.  That cost a bit. The Non-Stop Climax edition of Bayonetta was also pricy, but that was technically two games, so I feel better about myself on that one.

Edited by Azraelvat

A few years back, stadium events loose for either 5k or 6k. It was awesome to have for a few days and then I was like “I have a piece of plastic with a board sitting on my shelf representing $5,000.”

I sold it not long after for around $7k. Both the buy and the sell were record prices at the time.

561D5AFF-31F1-46AE-9765-8860265F1781.jpeg

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
On 6/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, PasseGaming said:

I spent 85-115 a few times on various NES cartridges. I have a hard limit of 200$ that I wont go over, so there's going to be some gaps in my collection.

Is there a reason you're ok with multiple $200 games but not, say, a single $800 game?

Would you buy 4 $200 games you don't like? Would you not buy a $800 game you do like?

The most I've paid is easily my sealed copy of Pokemon Red for $300 CAD. I usually don't have any interest in sealed games since I like to play all of my games,  but I had to make an exception for this since it's the first game I ever owned and the series as a whole has a lot of meaning to me. There was someone selling it at a local comic con we sell stuff at, so I couldn't pass it up. Nothing else even comes close to that for me!

Editorials Team · Posted
13 hours ago, MaddenCollector said:

A few years back, stadium events loose for either 5k or 6k. It was awesome to have for a few days and then I was like “I have a piece of plastic with a board sitting on my shelf representing $5,000.”

I sold it not long after for around $7k. Both the buy and the sell were record prices at the time.

561D5AFF-31F1-46AE-9765-8860265F1781.jpeg

Pretty much my same line of thinking.  I wrote off buying the competition or combo carts because I knew there was no way I could rationalize owning a piece of plastic instead of doing something else with the cash.  Or just saving/investing it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheArcadeGeek said:

I've picked up a few large collections for $20k+ each, but those were at huge discounts to actual individual value.  As far as a single item goes, maybe the $2,250 I spent for my restored Paperboy arcade game with a Championship Sprint Kit.

Ahhh man you’re giving me the itch to get out there and start buying again. I had so much fun going out and hunting. Competing with the other resellers was a great time and most of us ended up becoming friends. 

I do miss those huge thousands of dollars buys - I do not miss the testing, listing and shipping!

Edited by MaddenCollector

16 hours ago, MaddenCollector said:

Damn, that's a LOT of Maddens!!