IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

1. Mega Man 2 is overrated AF, and causes causal players to gloss over some fantastic later-entry games in the series.

2. The Sega Genesis - all versions of said console, controllers, peripherals, etc. - feel like they're made of the same cheap plastic you'd get from something out of a gum ball machine.

Edited by Nostalgic Machine
EDIT: formatting on mobile
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, The Strangest said:

I say this as a person who primarily plays modern stuff on Switch, but... 

Switch gamers overhype and fellate almost any game that is a Switch exclusive. They consider any good game on Switch a freaking masterpiece. I think this comes from the Wii U era where Nintendo-exclusive gamers were constantly on the defense over Nintendo’s status as a console manufacturer and the software on their consoles.

I actually find a lot of people who praise  anything and everything Switch are the same who dump on the Wii U. I think people just get caught up in hype and certain consoles so it's easier for them to pump up mediocre content and turn a blind eye to criticism. 

It's been like that for a while now though with every platform since SNES and Genesis came out and people felt they needed to pick a side. I've never really understood the mentality of being dedicated to a single company or console. I love Nintendo but they make some absolutely shit decisions from time to time but also have some of the best consoles and franchises. No company is the best or worst at everything. 

• Like 1

It's been a year since I finished my play of BotW.  I have to say, the memory of it was great.  It was really fun and I still consider it a stellar addition to the series.

I know this has probably been pointed out many times but I actually have a tough time coming back to it and for one strict reason--breakable weapons.  I see why they made them breakable.  It forces the need for exploration, while balancing the fact that you could race to get the most heavy-hitting weapons and then the game is just boring and easy but there's a part of me that just feels there had to be a different way.  Even it weapons needed to be "re-tempered".  Or if they started with a standard set of maybe 2-30 weapons, but they had a lot of quests to upgrade each one 2-3 times for special upgrades and skills, I would have preferred that MUCH more to breakable weapons.  Because of that, I come back to my old save file and I'm just not motivated to do much more than explore Hyrule for 5-10 minutes and just visit old friends and places.

So, yeah.  The breakable weapons have really killed the experience for me, but I've never been a fan of that type of mechanic.  I played through Final Fantasy Legends a kid, but even that mechanic in that game made me feel like it was just ok, rather than great.  Without equipment you can hold on to, use and learn, it just because a fetch quest to rebuild inventory.  Some of that is ok, but not for nearly every item in your bag.  Yuck.

31 minutes ago, RH said:

So, yeah.  The breakable weapons have really killed the experience for me, but I've never been a fan of that type of mechanic.

I never felt like weapons broke that often on me. Using urbosas fury and bomb arrows usually wiped up a whole unit of bokogoblins. I also usually used the two handed weapons and just changed attacked by swinging it around like a helicopter until everyone was dead. 

I did put about 250 hrs into the game so I am definitely bias. However, I feel like Everytime I go into a fight,. I just scarf down some attack up 3 food and make quick work of the emenies. Add that to the barbarian armor and most battles last we under a minute. 

6 hours ago, Nostalgic Machine said:

1. Mega Man 2 is overrated AF, and causes causal players to gloss over some fantastic later-entry games in the series.

2. The Sega Genesis - all versions of said console, controllers, peripherals, etc. - feel like they're made of the same cheap plastic you'd get from something out of a gum ball machine.

I'll add to your first comment and say that the original Mega Man is better than Mega Man 2. I have no idea why they took out the scoring system and started making the games way too easy.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 11:52 AM, RH said:

So, yeah.  The breakable weapons have really killed the experience for me, but I've never been a fan of that type of mechanic.  I played through Final Fantasy Legends a kid, but even that mechanic in that game made me feel like it was just ok, rather than great.  Without equipment you can hold on to, use and learn, it just because a fetch quest to rebuild inventory.  Some of that is ok, but not for nearly every item in your bag.  Yuck.

Big reason of very few why I started to play Animal Crossing less and less because it didn't matter if you made the cheapo one, or you made or buy the mid-tier, even the former god tier formerly impervious gear breaks now too.  I got really fed up doing the dailies with tree shaking with the net out, shoveling rocks and the rest.  I'd break at least 2-3 things a day on a casual basic run around the land doing the standard stuff, and if you got into digging into the little fly away islands and the rest more and more.  There just hit a point I didn't care about shaking trees for bees and items due to the hassle of it all, rocks came first even if one of them had the coin bag.  I like the game, a lot more than most of the others, but that is just fun sucking hell.

3 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

PS Vita Wii U

🥴

Man I must be missing something when it comes to the Vita.  There isn't anything that has interested me on that handheld. Wii U first party was great and kept me going for a few years.

PS - might be a Vita hitting the FS section soon.

1 hour ago, zeppelin03 said:

Man I must be missing something when it comes to the Vita.  There isn't anything that has interested me on that handheld. Wii U first party was great and kept me going for a few years.

PS - might be a Vita hitting the FS section soon.

That’s not to say I think the first party stuff on the Wii U is bad, but I just like the Vita more in terms of overall selection - including indie games/retro titles available - and replayability of the games in the library. And when it comes to the hardware, I enjoy the Vita more - immensely.

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

That’s not to say I think the first party stuff on the Wii U is bad, but I just like the Vita more in terms of overall selection - including indie games/retro titles available - and replayability of the games in the library. And when it comes to the hardware, I enjoy the Vita more - immensely.

I cant argue with the form factor.  The vita is much more comfrotable than a Wii U gamepad. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'll add to your first comment and say that the original Mega Man is better than Mega Man 2. I have no idea why they took out the scoring system and started making the games way too easy.

Well, the Mega Man 1 scoring system is beyond broken. I wouldn't mind a Mega Man game with a solid scoring system though, that would be fun.

And yeah, the classic Mega Man series past 2 is amazingly good, and often better than MM2 also. At least up until MM6 - the later titles are a bit iffy, but 11 was a strong comeback.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Well, the Mega Man 1 scoring system is beyond broken. I wouldn't mind a Mega Man game with a solid scoring system though, that would be fun.

And yeah, the classic Mega Man series past 2 is amazingly good, and often better than MM2 also. At least up until MM6 - the later titles are a bit iffy, but 11 was a strong comeback.

The random robot master points wasn't the best idea, but I wish they improved the scoring system instead of doing away with it. I liked 9 and 10. I don't think I played 11 though.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

Damn, okay. I was about to say the opposite.

I absolutely love the breakable weapons system in BOTW. I played the souls games first, and I see a ton of inspiration in BOTW that is drawn from that franchise. (Oddly enough, Dark Souls draws from Zelda, too. Z-targeting is a perfect example of this. It's like this circle of masterpieces lol) In Dark Souls, you need to constantly switch weapons depending on the situation because the game isn't very forgiving and you need every advantage you can get. This makes gameplay fun, varied, and exciting as you switch from one-handed to two-handed to ranged and maybe back to two-handed.

In BOTW, this is handled a bit differently. Breakable weapons force you to experiment and use everything in your inventory, creating variety in the gameplay. You can't over-rely on anything and have to constantly be on your toes. I do prefer the way DS handles this more, but BOTW's approach is also interesting.

My main unpopular opinion would be: Having compared the two games and made that comparison while playing, I was disappointed in the difficulty in BOTW. Even in "Master Mode" bosses and enemies are laughably easy, and Link is extremely OP with his ability to pause to heal, use runes in combat, and do these slow motion dodge thingys. But, the lower difficulty of BOTW makes it much easier to get into for new fans of the franchise and makes it more enjoyable for those that are playing solely for the exploration and puzzles. Nintendo had a choice, and I feel like they made the right decision and I appreciate that, but I can't help but feel bummed out about the lack of any meaningful difficulty. I'd like battles to require precise timing and experimentation in order to get that adrenaline rush and feeling of accomplishment that almost feel like drugs sometimes. There might be mods to fix that on pc though.

I do like the breakable weapons too.  It's frustrating early on but you get a few more weapon slots quickly.  Plus it adds some tension to the gameplay.  You could burn through a few weapons during a battle and have to fight your way somewhere with a rusted sword.  The only weapon I could see a complaint for is the Master Sword and it's recharge.  I've considered mods for it on PC but haven't committed yet.

The From Software combat can stay with Dark Souls though.  The Zelda combat has been great since OOT.  It may not be the most challenging but it just works well. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

The combat is great, I'll admit that, but I just enjoy From Software's take on combat slightly more. I wish Master Mode would take away the ability to flurry rush and the ability to pause and heal during combat. The latter I feel breaks a bit of the imwmersion during an instense battle. Plus, I'd love more creative bosses for BOTW2. I mean, all we fought was 6 different versions of Ganon. Not the most exciting.

I don't play souls games so my difficulty preference is likely different.  I agree that Master Mode got easy after a while.  It just takes some more time to get hearts and equipment.  It will likely be the way I play from now on, but I don't know if I will be able to beat that DLC dungeon where they take everything from you.

The return of proper dungeon variety would be great in the sequel.  I would love to see what a forest or water temple looks like in the BOTW engine.  Sheikah everything, while fun, lacked variety.   Let me play as Zelda and give me more options for yoga pants please. 

9 minutes ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

Yoga... pants? 

The three most wanted features for the next game seem to be a return to normal dungeons, playable Zelda, and underwater sections. I've also seen people talking about wanting a cookbook feature that saves your recipes, which I think sounds awesome.

I'm just joking that a portion of the internet seemed to be real excited that Zelda got black yoga pants in BOTW.  I can only imagine the outfit options they would want..

Saved recipes!  The elder scrolls figured out how to save recipes you dicovered years ago.  Give me that and I will be happy.

14 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Attractive characters from Anime/Video Games.

BOTW reminds me of Elder Scrolls in a lot of ways so I tend to just think of it as some sort of adventure RPG anymore. 

I would put Zelda and other games like it in a broader quest/RPG sort of category; that is the "quest" part means games that are like RPGs but don't have RPG kinds of things like turn based combat, experience points, HP/MP and so on.

*looks up in urban dictionary* You do know the main point of that topic was to ask if you prefer different kinds of chick characters in games...the term waifu does not have to necessarily mean a sexy chick right?

15 minutes ago, Estil said:

I would put Zelda and other games like it in a broader quest/RPG sort of category; that is the "quest" part means games that are like RPGs but don't have RPG kinds of things like turn based combat, experience points, HP/MP and so on.

*looks up in urban dictionary* You do know the main point of that topic was to ask if you prefer different kinds of chick characters in games...the term waifu does not have to necessarily mean a sexy chick right?

I could see that.  There is certainly a difference between turn based, story driven games and the more open world quest experience.  Unfortunately I have a hard time committing to the JRPG style since I don't like stepping away for a few weeks and forgetting the story.  Now I typically mess with the western style. 

I read through the thread and contributed if I recall.  Brought up how I liked the different characters from Final Fantasy X (Yuna, Rikku, and Lulu all had distinct personalities I could relate to in different ways).  I don't think it has to be a sexualized term but I have a feeling Googling it wouldn't do any favors for that argument.  My wife and I use it with a much more innocent intent. 

Edited by zeppelin03