IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Millipede

BeaIank

29 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

@mbd39 lol that was my second attempt out of two this week. its just a product of ai burn out combined with still wanting to play ai and no time this week.

Those who didn't have much prior AI experience seemed to have a rough time that week. The one life rule didn't help.

• Like 1

Some tips:

The first key to playing Millipede is the spiders. You need to understand their movement. They always move in one direction horizontally (left to right, or right to left). They bounce up and down, but they never go backwards. If a spider goes past you, it's never going to turn around and you can safely ignore it. It's also important to note that there are four point values for the spider based on how close you are when you kill it (300, 600, 900, 1200). So if you hit the slowdown enemy, you probably want to get close to all the spiders and get those extra points. You can also kind of sit a little bit up by the sides so you're closer to them when they come in. And if your main goal is to score points, you might be better off only focusing on them during the big waves of enemies in between certain rounds.

It's also important to know when to hold the fire button down, and when not to. Millipede is similar to games like Galaga or Space Invaders, where you can't shoot until your shot has cleared the screen or hit something. So if you hold it down the entire time, things aren't going to turn out well for you. However, it is a good tactic in a lot of scenarios. For example, if you see a long millipede about to hit a mushroom, you can easily hold it down and kill the entire thing in a second.

The other thing I want to point out is how I view the screen when I'm playing well. I generally spend most of my time looking at the movement area, the bottom gray part of the screen. You don't need to worry about the Millipede too much until it gets reasonably close to there. The spiders are the biggest threat so they should command most of your attention.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

That was an interesting week. Now we're headed into the off week. What will you all do? I'm thinking we should have an unofficial game week 😛  I suppose I can find something to play!  

Updated to a better score on page 2 haha. 😄 

I just started playing Brain Lord. I played it back when it came out but didn't like it. Thought I'd give it another shot. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Congrats to @bertsampson, aka the human cyborg, for killing this game and take the crown for this week, well done champ! But bert win was a close one as he relied on the tiebreaker rule to get it, cause our good friend running the Nes Completion Thread @scaryice maxed the score as well this week, only in an earlier round, still a great feat! Special mention to @Kid Dracula for partaking again in the action this week and grappling 3rd spot with an impressive score over the 500k mark! It is always a pleasure to have some heavy hitters of the completion threads playing along in the contest!

Honorable mention to @Bearcat-Doug and @ookii_risu for breaking the 300k bar as well, it takes nerves to hold that long in this game!

• Like 4

Just now, Jeevan said:

what is SMB challenge gonna be?  Never competed in these and am interested to try to finish out strong on this competition, even if i just get a participation medal 🤣  Also, that famicom game, any good websites to play that on?

I know it's going to be one life rule because of the 1up loop in 8-2 and to keep it from being too much of a grind. I dunno if turtle tricks will be allowed.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, ninjistar said:

That was an interesting week. Now we're headed into the off week. What will you all do? I'm thinking we should have an unofficial game week 😛  I suppose I can find something to play!  

Updated to a better score on page 2 haha. 😄 

I'm just gonna keep playing Runescape and working. Consistency is key for me right now to keep my mind off the IRL shit.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
30 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Hang in there, man. I've been turning off the news and minimizing the amount of time spent on thinking about the outside world. 

I try to ignore all this stuff as well.  Hate thinking about all of it!  Only problem is i have to goto work and my wife works for the city, so she tells me all the news she hears and I have to pay attention to my work emails for all of the new guidelines and such imposed by the Leadership team.  Then, there is the fact that I have to goto the store from time to time so ya, there is that too........

Figured if I started competing in the weekly contests and focusing on the n64 beat them all, then maybe that would help keep my mind off of things as well 😉 

• Like 2